Vegan cheesemonger

Emma JC

Forum Legend
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
On February 7th a new shop opened in England - a vegan only cheese shop and the dairy industry is losing its mind over it.

La Fauxmagerie is in Brixton Village, just outside of London.

Emma JC

UK's first vegan 'cheese' monger is misleading customers, dairy industry complains

The dairy industry is taking action against the first vegan cheese monger, arguing that calling plant-based products “cheese” is “misleading”.

La Fauxmagerie, which opened in Brixton, South London, sells artisan cheese made from plant-based sources such as coconut oil and blended cashews.

It is the first 100 per cent vegan cheese monger to open in the UK.

The sisters, Charlotte and Rachel Stevens, who founded the business, posted on Instagram about their opening weekend on Sunday, which was a sell-out success.

Co-founder of the “cheese monger”, Rachel Stevens, told local paper Brixton Buzz: “Historically, vegan cheeses have been seen as undesirable alternatives to their dairy counterparts; La Fauxmagerie aims to challenge that perception by stocking artisanal vegan cheeses that are truly delicious in their own right."

She refers to the product as “cheese”, telling vegan website LiveKindly: “Our aim with La Fauxmagerie is to bring the most delicious cheeses together in one place, so that those going dairy-
free needn’t compromise on flavour nor variety.”

However, the dairy industry has hit back at the sisters - and is planning to tell them to stop calling their products “cheese”.

A spokesperson said: “Dairy UK has a duty to ensure the nutritional and health benefits of real dairy are recognised by and communicated to consumers. It concerns us that consumers are being misled with the use of dairy terms like cheese by the plant-based sector.

“It is fundamental to protect the consumer from product descriptions which are misleading. In the first instance, we will be contacting La Fauxmagerie to make them aware of the current EU ruling on the protection of dairy terms.

“Like milk, cheese has a host of nutritional benefits and is a source of a number of important nutrients including calcium, protein, vitamin A, phosphorus and vitamin B12.”

Vegan cheese has become more and more popular in the last year, with shops such as Sainsbury’s and Waitrose beginning to stock vast ranges of the plant-based alternative.

• Haha
Reactions: Forest Nymph
This just in, a little closer to home for you Canadians.

We have similar issues in the US. Some have been a little bit successful. It doesn't really bother me much.

I think the dairy companies have trying to get the word "milk" out of plant milks for a long time. I noticed that some companies seem to have given up without firing a shot. At the grocer's, I have already seen products labeled "Mylk".

Although I would normally think, let the dairy and meat companies fight these stupid battles in court, unfortunately, some of the good guys end up spending money and time fighting them. In the long run, I don't think it is going to make any difference.

I love that the dairy industry is fighting this inevitable trend. They're wasting time, money, and resources (of the dairy industry) to fight something that's going to be consumed regardless of what it's called.

I like's Chao's approach: They just call their product "Creamy Chao Slices" and don't include any reference to cheese. It will be eaten regardless of the name. I love them!

The dairy industry expects their consumers to be dumber than the average bear and be 'tricked' into buying a plant-based product. I think that says more about those still consuming dairy than the other way around.

Reactions: Lou
Yup, craziness - I just love the fact that there is a store that sells only vegan cheese despite the road blocks the dairy industry tries to put in place.

Emma JC

Reactions: Lou and TofuRobot
Meanwhile here in the USA....

Nothing new in this article but it gives a good summary of the Word Turf Wars being staked out here in the US.

What do you guys think of the term "Nut Juice"?
I kind of like it. It sounds sort of racy.
Fun at the breakfast table
"Honey, How about a squirt of nut juice for your coffee? "
"Sis, how about some nut juice for your juice box?"

the original article from the Star Tribune

Does anyone remember the American Dairy Board's TV ad that was kids on a game show answering questions about milk? I can't find it on the internet but try and find it for me.

I always laugh now when dairy people say calling vegan foods milk or cheese is "misleading" as if the general public has the mind of an eight year old.

I love that name, "Fauxmagerie."

Reactions: Emma JC
Meanwhile here in the USA....

Nothing new in this article but it gives a good summary of the Word Turf Wars being staked out here in the US.

What do you guys think of the term "Nut Juice"?
I kind of like it. It sounds sort of racy.
Fun at the breakfast table
"Honey, How about a squirt of nut juice for your coffee? "
"Sis, how about some nut juice for your juice box?"

the original article from the Star Tribune

Does anyone remember the American Dairy Board's TV ad that was kids on a game show answering questions about milk? I can't find it on the internet but try and find it for me.

No, it's not racy, it's disgusting.

Even if something like that is sexy in certain circumstances, in the morning at breakfast it's nauseating. There's studies out there where it's described how people "lose" their sense of disgust when they're attracted to someone or during the act, but that feeling of disgust is completely normal at meal time. If it weren't, we might be cannibals.

I discovered, when shopping yesterday, that we have our own Fauxmagerie right here in Ontario, Canada.

https://www.zengarry.com/our-cheese

I saw some for sale in a health food store, half price as expiry date is close, so I bought the Smoky Jalapeno. Tried a tiny taste last night and intend to make a Mac and Cheese with it tonight. It looks like they are only in Canada, so far, I am sure you have something similar in other countries.

Emma JC

Reactions: Forest Nymph
The only commercial vegan cheese I like is Daiya slices. I don't eat lots of processed food though. Usually it's too salty, too sugary, or too oily.

I do Daiya to, its the only one I found that my taste buds say cheese.. LOL
It melts really good to.

There is no accounting for taste. Daiya is my least favorite vegan cheese. I remember early on in my vegan jouney I used it the mozzarella shreds on a pizza. I thought it ruined the pizza.

I usually buy Field Roast Chao slices. And just now I'm trying out the Follow Your Heart Smoked Gouda.
I tried Forest Nymph's recicpe but thought it was "just OK".
I guess my overall favorite is MyGreenPlanet's Moxarella.
So far.

Reactions: Robin
There is no accounting for taste. Daiya is my least favorite vegan cheese. I remember early on in my vegan jouney I used it the mozzarella shreds on a pizza. I thought it ruined the pizza.

I usually buy Field Roast Chao slices. And just now I'm trying out the Follow Your Heart Smoked Gouda.
I tried Forest Nymph's recicpe but thought it was "just OK".
I guess my overall favorite is MyGreenPlanet's Moxarella.
So far.

i never liked cheddar cheese in the first place. I think one time I used some kind of "Mexican blend" shredded by Daiya in my homemade burritos. And it wasn't so bad - but I could barely taste it. Now I make my burritos without any cheese. So they are sort of boring.

i never liked cheddar cheese in the first place. I think one time I used some kind of "Mexican blend" shredded by Daiya in my homemade burritos. And it wasn't so bad - but I could barely taste it. Now I make my burritos without any cheese. So they are sort of boring.

Im boring to my burritos content is beans, rice, lettuce mix with salsa. LOL but its so easy and good..

I only eat bean burritos. Only beans. I'm boring lol. I tried Chao cheese before but I hated it so it wound up as dog food...

what kind of beans do you use?

I make my own bean mix of black, pinto, garbanzo, split pea & lental & or what ever I have on hand. ( dry beans )
I make a large pot and freeze so all I have to do is thaw & make what ever I want to make out of it.
I found it makes cooking so much easier and faster.

I make my own bean mix of black, pinto, garbanzo, split pea & lental & or whatever I have on hand. ( dry beans )
I make a large pot and freeze so all I have to do is thaw & make whatever I want to make out of it.
I found it makes cooking so much easier and faster.

I always made my burritos with canned beans. and not really with a recipe but with whatever I had around. but after making the mix on the stovetop I would assembly line a bunch of burritos and freeze them. Then i would nuke one when I was hungry. These were my "emergency meals". When you don't have time to cook or even sit down and eat. (you can eat these one-handed in the car. or even in an elevator.)

Now that I have an instant pot I could make the mix with dry beans in the instant pot.
And now I'm re-thinking the idea of assembling them and then freezing them.
Maybe I should freeze small portions of the mix. Keep just one portion in the frig at any one time. And then assemble them as needed.

I think I might post this in a new thread and see what the forum thinks.