New method to avoid foodwaste (supermarkets)

carrotcake

Newcomer
Reaction score
Researches suggest that US supermarkets throw away about half of their products. Main reasons are: fresh produce doesn't look appealing (brown spots for example) and the best-by date has been crossed even though products could easily still be consumed.

One new way to battle food waste is to have a chef cook fresh meals with "ugly" vegetables and fruits and use up soon to be expired products. This is a great method for supermarkets situated in big cities where people go out for lunch. Do you know any new, interesting ways supermarkets could avoid food waste?

Yes of course, but I thought that was a given! It's still my favourite method, but I'm always interested in new ways to avoid food waste, you know?

Unfortunately, it happens far too seldom.
We are even looking at supermarkets who throw away unsold food and are trying to make sure to render foodstuffs inedible by mixing them with other waste when dumping them to discourage "dumpster diving". :-(
Also, legally (at least in many European countries), taking still edible foodstuffs that were put into a dumpster is considered theft and pursued as such in many places.