UK A new start, a new life, a new perspective....

Irene Adler

Forum Practitioner
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan newbie
Hello everyone,

Just began the journey into veganism almost 3 weeks ago.

I am feeling very happy with my decision, and eating vegan makes me smile at every meal, really making me feel good in all sorts of ways.

I started the Vegan Society's 30 day challenge, after becoming vegetarian a mere 4 weeks ago, where I thought I would be transitioning for weeks or months, but I did a lot of googling and within days I did not want to wait. I was omnivore until a few weeks ago! Thanks 'Earthlings'......

I've taken the vegan pledge too.

I don't know what's hit me, but, over these last weeks I have become totally vegan. I cannot believe how my mind set has changed so quickly. I am now moving onto becoming an ethical vegan. So far I have:

Checked and double-checked all existing food, donated to food bank/given to family/or had to throw away items of meat, fish, poultry, dairy, and any products from these. Who knew Worcestershire Sauce had fish in it? About two carrier bags full.

Gone label-checking obsessively in the local supermarkets. Made meal plans and lists.

After a lot of researching, bought a good range of legumes, pulses, plant milks, yogurts (fortified), and vegan cheese. Tried new things (to me) tofu, Swedish Glace, and new vegan recipes after buying vegan recipe books. Tried a few vegan ready meals but prefer making my own. Bought multi-vitamins, and nutrient yeast, and then found VEG1 was cheaper, so bought that too. Doh!

Went through my wardrobe, and stripped out anything wool, leather handbags, and donated to both an animal charity and SA. Went through it again and took out stuff that I haven't worn or doesn't fit anymore. In total I have donated 6 bag fulls. I did ask family if they wanted anything before donating, but, they were all ok for stuff.

Agonising over leather footwear at the moment, one pair worn out (hole in the sole!) so thrown out, one pair just starting to wear beyond repair, but two pairs not worn yet. Decided I will donate one pair, to animal charity, and wear out the other pair as money is getting really tight.

Checked over all toiletries and cleaning products. I have donated some creams to animal charity (hand/body creams), found some shampoo I have is vegan, planning to use up non-vegan ones. Couldn't wait and already bought some eco cleaning stuff, and bath/shower/shampoo which are vegan.

Even donated a throw which was the dog's as it was wool. Don't worry, she still has loads, last count, she has two ''official" dog beds, that she rarely uses, preferring the furniture (hence throws on settee, chair, my bed!).

Talked to family who were initially not hugely enthusiastic, but thankfully, have accepted my decision and found a place to eat out for us all to follow our own choices.

Phew! I have also finally joined up here as well as being an official Vegan Society member. I think I will lie down in a dark room now..... :)

I realise I still have a lot to learn, so, I am looking forward to hearing about other people's experiences on here.

Thanks for wading through this lot,

Irene

:dog:

wow barely says it all, congrats @Irene Adler and welcome to the forum and to your new life journey

You have gone above and beyond what most other newbies have done and that is great and I am sure exhausting.

Now it is time to settle in and enjoy the food, enjoy the knowledge that you are relieving the suffering of so many animals and helping the environment.

We look forward to sharing this journey with you and are here to help where we can and know you will be helping many here also.

Emma JC

wow barely says it all, congrats @Irene Adler and welcome to the forum and to your new life journey

You have gone above and beyond what most other newbies have done and that is great and I am sure exhausting.

Now it is time to settle in and enjoy the food, enjoy the knowledge that you are relieving the suffering of so many animals and helping the environment.

We look forward to sharing this journey with you and are here to help where we can and know you will be helping many here also.

Emma JC
Hello Emma

Thank you, I will, that is so kind of you.

Irene

Reactions: Emma JC
Congratulations on your fantastic progress! When it comes to wardrobe, no one expects you to be able to become completely vegan immediately. Wear what you've got and replace when you can. Summer's around the corner, and thankfully footwear becomes little less leather focused in the summer. You're doing great!

Congratulations on your fantastic progress! When it comes to wardrobe, no one expects you to be able to become completely vegan immediately. Wear what you've got and replace when you can. Summer's around the corner, and thankfully footwear becomes little less leather focused in the summer. You're doing great!

Hello Poppy, thanks for that. I am probably beating myself up too much over it. I guess, at my age, I am thinking I want to do it all at once!

I am so impatient, and I have to rein it in, I think that if I am vegan it's got to be all or nothing. Kind of like when people say they are a little bit pregnant - you are or you aren't! I had fully intended to transition slowly, but, then I got over-excited about it.... :jump::jump:

I have just looked at the time, How long have I been browsing?

Tara for now...

Hello Irene
I want to lend my support to you in your decision to be vegan. This being your decision; I respect and applaud you. I am new to this forum and still learning. My decision to eat plant based foods has been incremental over a long period of years and was motivated by my quest to be healthy; knowledge of the food industry including "chemical," hormones, pesticides and other such things in our food. I would like to know what motiv
ated you to embrace a vegan lifestyle.
Eloyna

Hello everyone,

Just began the journey into veganism almost 3 weeks ago.

I am feeling very happy with my decision, and eating vegan makes me smile at every meal, really making me feel good in all sorts of ways.

I started the Vegan Society's 30 day challenge, after becoming vegetarian a mere 4 weeks ago, where I thought I would be transitioning for weeks or months, but I did a lot of googling and within days I did not want to wait. I was omnivore until a few weeks ago! Thanks 'Earthlings'......

I've taken the vegan pledge too.

I don't know what's hit me, but, over these last weeks I have become totally vegan. I cannot believe how my mind set has changed so quickly. I am now moving onto becoming an ethical vegan. So far I have:

Checked and double-checked all existing food, donated to food bank/given to family/or had to throw away items of meat, fish, poultry, dairy, and any products from these. Who knew Worcestershire Sauce had fish in it? About two carrier bags full.

Gone label-checking obsessively in the local supermarkets. Made meal plans and lists.

After a lot of researching, bought a good range of legumes, pulses, plant milks, yogurts (fortified), and vegan cheese. Tried new things (to me) tofu, Swedish Glace, and new vegan recipes after buying vegan recipe books. Tried a few vegan ready meals but prefer making my own. Bought multi-vitamins, and nutrient yeast, and then found VEG1 was cheaper, so bought that too. Doh!

Went through my wardrobe, and stripped out anything wool, leather handbags, and donated to both an animal charity and SA. Went through it again and took out stuff that I haven't worn or doesn't fit anymore. In total I have donated 6 bag fulls. I did ask family if they wanted anything before donating, but, they were all ok for stuff.

Agonising over leather footwear at the moment, one pair worn out (hole in the sole!) so thrown out, one pair just starting to wear beyond repair, but two pairs not worn yet. Decided I will donate one pair, to animal charity, and wear out the other pair as money is getting really tight.

Checked over all toiletries and cleaning products. I have donated some creams to animal charity (hand/body creams), found some shampoo I have is vegan, planning to use up non-vegan ones. Couldn't wait and already bought some eco cleaning stuff, and bath/shower/shampoo which are vegan.

Even donated a throw which was the dog's as it was wool. Don't worry, she still has loads, last count, she has two ''official" dog beds, that she rarely uses, preferring the furniture (hence throws on settee, chair, my bed!).

Talked to family who were initially not hugely enthusiastic, but thankfully, have accepted my decision and found a place to eat out for us all to follow our own choices.

Phew! I have also finally joined up here as well as being an official Vegan Society member. I think I will lie down in a dark room now..... :)

I realise I still have a lot to learn, so, I am looking forward to hearing about other people's experiences on here.

Thanks for wading through this lot,

Irene

:dog:
Is this due to novel corona pandemic!!!!😜😷

Reactions: Irene Adler
Hello Irene
I want to lend my support to you in your decision to be vegan. This being your decision; I respect and applaud you. I am new to this forum and still learning. My decision to eat plant based foods has been incremental over a long period of years and was motivated by my quest to be healthy; knowledge of the food industry including "chemical," hormones, pesticides and other such things in our food. I would like to know what motiv
Eloyna
I preferred vegetarian, & was a regular meat eater.. but now after this novel corona outbreak. I'm fully vegan now. But i do Eat eggs.

Reactions: Irene Adler
Hello Irene
Eloyna
Hello Elonya

That's very kind of you thank you.

This all started about 4-5 weeks ago.

I would like to say it was ethically motivated, but, sadly it wasn't. It started as a psychological reaction, a total revulsion to eating meat, just when I was about to cook a steak. I physically recoiled when I touched it. I couldn't cook it, eat it, face it. Nothing. I had to throw it away. I couldn't even offer it to neighbours, because I couldn't physically handle it. I was holding it by the edge of it's plastic container at arm's length and chucking it in the bin.

At that point, I immediately became vegetarian. No research or anything, I just ate dairy, eggs, and plant based food.

However, when I bought a vegetarian and vegan cook book, I also started researching the difference between the two. It's when I then looked into it properly about how you can get what you need from plants, with a few supplements if you need to (for age, health, diet reasons), and looked at some sad and horrific videos of so-called 'humane treatment' of animals, along with animal farm rescue centres of happy animals, plus some inspirational videos (Gary Sourofsky, Earthling Ed, and many others) that I quickly became vegan.

I would really recommend you research all the information and videos you can. I have also adapted it to non-food items as much as I can right now, but, it's easier to start with diet.

Hope that helps and good luck!

I preferred vegetarian, & was a regular meat eater.. but now after this novel corona outbreak. I'm fully vegan now. But i do Eat eggs.
Hello again Manish

Erm, I hate to say this to you, but, if you do still eat eggs, I think it makes you Ovo-Vegetarian? I am sure there are more experienced people here who can confirm that. I do think it's great though that you don't eat meat/meat products, or dairy. Congrats on doing that!

• Agree
Reactions: Manish
Hello Irene, also from me a belated welcome to the forum and the vegan lifestyle, as I had not seen this thread before, only your contributions in other threads.

Reactions: Val and Irene Adler