US New items at Trader Joe's

@KLS52
I subscribe to the theory that there is only one fruit cake that goes around the whole world every year in re-gifting mode.

Enterman's Chocolate chip cookies were my second favorite chocolate chip cookie when I lived on Long Island. When we used to visit upstate NY we would come back with an ice chest of Freihofer's Chocolate Chip Cookies. Maybe I should add that to our Veganized Wish List.

Trader Joe's has some vegan cookies. The chocolate chip are just not in the same league, tho. There are some at Whole Foods that I plan on trying someday.

I've never tried them but have heard about them. What's so special about them ? :p

They are full of fat and sugar and that is what seems to make them so addictive. Maybe there is some other ingredient that makes them irresistible.
I have had them once or twice in my lifetime and am so happy that I don't have to make that choice again. I have older sisters that were addicted to them and they struggle with their weight... I wonder why.

Emma JC

ps I used to eat these whenever I had a chance and again, so happy that they are no longer an option (Tim Horton's Honey Cruller)

honey-cruller.jpg

They are full of fat and sugar and that is what seems to make them so addictive. Maybe there is some other ingredient that makes them irresistible.
I have had them once or twice in my lifetime and am so happy that I don't have to make that choice again. I have older sisters that were addicted to them and they struggle with their weight... I wonder why.

Emma JC

ps I used to eat these whenever I had a chance and again, so happy that they are no longer an option (Tim Horton's Honey Cruller)

honey-cruller.jpg

I don't think that I've ever tasted an American doughnut so can't compare them to the UK ones. Is the dough sickly sweet and dense ? :confused:

I don't think that I've ever tasted an American doughnut so can't compare them to the UK ones. Is the dough sickly sweet and dense ? :confused:

This is not a "typical" donut in that is has lots of space inside it. It doesn't mean there is any less oil, likely more, or less sugar.

Emma JC

5267919139_9a8d8c6365_b.jpg

Reactions: Val
This is not a "typical" donut in that is has lots of space inside it. It doesn't mean there is any less oil, likely more, or less sugar.

Emma JC

5267919139_9a8d8c6365_b.jpg

I also googled up a pic and it looks more like chou pastry. It doesn't look like a typical doughnut that is made with yeast. :)

Reactions: Emma JC
Hot Chocolate Sticks Are Back

I guess these are just a seasonal item. But now that it is cold and rainy I'm so happy to be home and drinking hot chocolate. These are dairy-free. They don't have a free-trade sticker. But the chocolate is not from West Africa or Nestle, Hershey, or Mars so they might be slavery-free. (the chocolate is from Columbia)

Has anyone tried TJ's ferment mango sauce? I see it in the section with the hummus and dips, I think it's in a pouch.
1575052508446.png

If Covid ever goes away I’ll be able to make a road trip to TJs with my daughter.

• Friendly
Reactions: PTree15 and Val
I wish there was a Trader Joe's near me! The closest one is 30 miles and it is in Winter Park which is a suburb of Orlando. I avoid driving there!

• Friendly
Reactions: Val and KLS52
I have their No Chicken seasoning, and really don't care for it. It's really really salty (so is their Umami), and it does taste like what I remember canned or instant chicken soup tasting like. there was one in a box mix that had an "egg" that was just like an egg shaped capsule of fat! Anyway, it has a weird flavor to it, and the label doesn't break down the seasoning, just 'spices' Probably marjoram or oregano, I dislike those two, but I really don't know! I'll stick with poultry seasonings!
I just made a chik'n type seitan and used some, luckily not too much

• Friendly
Seems the longer I go without TJ's the less Im impressed--I'd be way more impressed if money wasn't an object!

Anyway, the new cashew cheeses are really hard to find! The cashew mozz shreds with mixed in with the other cheese shreds--not even near the other vegan mozz shreds! Or the soy blend (which I didn't even look to see if vegan :dismay:
The cashew cheddar with amongst the slices. Now I'm sorry I didn't try them!
They also have oat milk ice creams--a vanilla that had coconut as I think the first or close to first, ingredient, and a strawberry with candied strawberry bits and almond brickle. I got the strawberry one. The almond bits killed it for me! They were chewy and the flavor did not work

honey-cruller.jpg
Dunkin Donuts has these too. I used to loooooove them.

• Friendly
Reactions: Emma JC
Seems the longer I go without TJ's the less Im impressed--I'd be way more impressed if money wasn't an object!

Anyway, the new cashew cheeses are really hard to find! The cashew mozz shreds with mixed in with the other cheese shreds--not even near the other vegan mozz shreds! Or the soy blend (which I didn't even look to see if vegan :dismay:
The cashew cheddar with amongst the slices. Now I'm sorry I didn't try them!
They also have oat milk ice creams--a vanilla that had coconut as I think the first or close to first, ingredient, and a strawberry with candied strawberry bits and almond brickle. I got the strawberry one. The almond bits killed it for me! They were chewy and the flavor did not work
I just tried an oat milk ice cream from the supermarket. Very disappointing. They tried to make it thick and creamy but it’s kind of gummy. Whatever it is they used as a thickener is overdone. I’ll check the container and report back.

• Friendly
Reactions: Emma JC and Val
I just tried an oat milk ice cream from the supermarket. Very disappointing. They tried to make it thick and creamy but it’s kind of gummy. Whatever it is they used as a thickener is overdone. I’ll check the container and report back.
Do you remember the brand? There is a local ice cream place I went to with my son, hoping for maybe a Dole whip--but they had vegan oat milk strawberry or key lime custard! OMG I could not have told it was anything different, so smooth and no sign of anything different. Trader Joes texture is great, but I don't like "bits" in my ice cream, though my son liked them!
I hate gumminess, it ruins so many lo fat and vegan foods!

Reactions: Emma JC and KLS52
Do you remember the brand? There is a local ice cream place I went to with my son, hoping for maybe a Dole whip--but they had vegan oat milk strawberry or key lime custard! OMG I could not have told it was anything different, so smooth and no sign of anything different. Trader Joes texture is great, but I don't like "bits" in my ice cream, though my son liked them!
I hate gumminess, it ruins so many lo fat and vegan foods!
Yep...gums and tapioca. Likely the culprit. I was always partial to plain vanilla. Maybe a more flavored one would be better and the gumminess less noticeable. But I won’t bother when I can get better tasting ice creams. There’s really no benefit of oat over the other non dairy options.
C5C8A332-8BF8-4DD8-98FD-B9B0061CD545.jpeg9CF0E6A4-31CD-478A-AFB0-4956EFC6A600.jpeg

I guess it’s not surprising since oat milk can be slimy/gummy depending on your success and expertise at making it.

if you can find this brand, it is by far my favourite and the price, even when not on sale is substantially less than the alternatives - I was able to find it yesterday on sale for $4.50 and it is a normal size ice cream container, not the tiny kind that most are

Emma JC