US New items at Trader Joe's

I sort of like Proto-vegan as opposed to Vegan Novice or Beginner.
Ha! my spell checker keeps changing it to pronto

A protostar is a very young star that is still gathering mass from its parent molecular cloud. The protostellar phase is the earliest one in the process of stellar evolution.

Well, you bring up some good points.
I wonder if you are under the misapprehension that Feta is not a Real thing. It is a type of cheese. It is Greek and made from goats milk.
Authentic feta is made with sheep milk or a mixture of sheep and goat milk. The texture is slightly crumbly and it the flavour is tangy/slightly salty.

I love the Violife feta. I found that by freezing it, the texture gets crumbly! I had no idea. I just wasn’t using it fast enough and didn’t want it to go bad. When it thawed, it crumbled and that wasn’t a bad thing lol.

Violife Greek bloc tastes nothing like the real thing but over here (on veg FB) most people were raving about the stuff. I'm not a huge fan of authentic Feta because it's made with both sheep/goat milk which I dislike. I don't mind it when it's in a salad but not baked or grilled. Anyway, that's of the past as I don't eat dairy anymore but still remember the taste. Sadly, dairy cheeses do have a very distinct and wonderful flavour.

Violife is far sweeter and doesn't have that tangy/salty flavour or distinct aroma of sheep milk. It's also very creamy hence goes well in salads and is a distinct vegan cheese product. However, I haven't tried either grilling or baking it. I will try to freeze some and see whether the texture becomes slightly crumbly. I will also try it on pizza and see whether it will vamp up Violife grated cheese which is also quite bland in taste. I think that the problem with vegan cheeses is that they don't mimic neither the taste or texture of dairy. :pensive:

It would be interesting to compare it with TJ's product.:)

• Informative
Reactions: PTree15
I would agree Violife doesn’t taste like dairy feta but it serves a purpose when you don’t want to eat dairy. 😊 I will go so far as to say none of the dairy free cheeses taste anything like the real thing, to me. I don’t use Violife feta often, hence why I tried freezing it initially. I don’t like to use a lot of any of the non-dairy cheeses because you don’t offer any nutritional value and I don’t need the empty calories. But sometimes it’s nice to have a little treat and have it add a little something to a particular meal. Actually, the only exception to this would be grated Parmesan. I use a lot of Go Veggie dairy free parmesan.

• Friendly
Reactions: PTree15 and shyvas
Had the Hearts of Palm Pasta last night. Still not exactly sure what it is but the Only ingredient is hearts of palm. I'm not ever sure what a heart of palm is. Is it part of a palm tree? I guess the pasta is sort of like Zoodles.
anyway it was pretty good. Super low calorie too. My problem is that the box said 3 servings but I thought it was more like 1.50 servings. I have a little leftover for lunch.

I haven't been able to find Go Veggie! since before Covid. I ended up buying 2 containers from Amazon. Go Veggie is great sprinkled on top of pasta dishes.

• Informative
Reactions: PTree15 and KLS52
I always order go veggie from Amazon and then accidentally found out Stop and Shop has it. 🤦🏻‍♀️

Reactions: Lou
Violife Greek bloc tastes nothing like the real thing but over here (on veg FB) most people were raving about the stuff. I'm not a huge fan of authentic Feta because it's made with both sheep/goat milk which I dislike. I don't mind it when it's in a salad but not baked or grilled. Anyway, that's of the past as I don't eat dairy anymore but still remember the taste. Sadly, dairy cheeses do have a very distinct and wonderful flavour.

Violife is far sweeter and doesn't have that tangy/salty flavour or distinct aroma of sheep milk. It's also very creamy hence goes well in salads and is a distinct vegan cheese product. However, I haven't tried either grilling or baking it. I will try to freeze some and see whether the texture becomes slightly crumbly. I will also try it on pizza and see whether it will vamp up Violife grated cheese which is also quite bland in taste. I think that the problem with vegan cheeses is that they don't mimic neither the taste or texture of dairy. :pensive:

It would be interesting to compare it with TJ's product.:)
I tried the Violife feta and did not like it. The sweetness and texture were just off-putting for me. I do enjoy Violife Parm, though.

• Informative
Reactions: shyvas
Going today! So excited although I don’t really need anything. I’ll probably do mostly fresh vegetables and maybe some apples and bananas. I’ve been awake since 3 am so I’ll go back through this thread and see if I can find anything new and fun to try. But I’ve been to this location twice and they are sorely lacking. I might get more of the mini ice cream cones. Those were so good.

• Friendly
Reactions: PTree15
I haven't seen most of what's on that list. I have to look a little closer at the shelves. :D My TJ's is always so crowded, so there isn't a lot room (or time) to browse. I did pick up the the Parm shreds last week, so I'm looking forward to trying those.

Reactions: Lou
I passed on the parm as i love FYH parm. I did try the mozz shreds they're Ok. I think they may be very similar to Aldi new formula ones
Since they built our new one, a few years already, it's so nice. The old one seemed to fit their usual MO of small crowded aisles and no parking.
I also got their vegan carmelized onion dip, which is thick flavored cream cheese. It's ok, but really too sweet. I would have tried the vegan ranch dip if I saw it

Reactions: KLS52