TV & Film Movie Lounge

I watched Aliens last night and loved it. Digger is right, it's definitely a different kind of movie than the original. The original seems more like a "wouldn't it be cool if..." scenario, and the second movie seems more like a movie movie.

I especially like how they justified the aliens' reproductive habits. In some movies, the aliens have an "alien nest" for no good reason, and the distinction between people made into cocoons and people being eaten is only based on whether they're a character that is important to the plot or not. In Aliens, even though they did kill off characters that weren't important to the plot and saved others that were, it just seemed more realistic to me.

What I mean, of course, is the fact that the little girl (Newt?) was cocooned rather than simply eaten, and this was because she was important to the plot, but it still seemed plausible that she could go save her.

If that makes any sense.

The Woman in Black

They handled having Daniel Radcliffe brilliantly. They gave him minimal dialogue and his only direction seemed to be "look slightly apprehensive" and he managed okay. Still very wooden and unemotional but it's only really noticeable when he speaks, so good job there. It wasn't a great movie though, it relied exclusively on jumpy moments to make it scary and bog standard horror movie music and sound effects to keep the tension up. The cinematography was nice though.

Alien vs Predator is horrible. I liked "Predators" though.
Too bad too. I honestly really liked the idea, and am a big fan of both Predator and the Alien movies. They could have made it really cool, but instead it was just a bunch of cheese.

As for Predators... I like anything with Danny Trejo. He's awesome even though he never lives through any of the movies he's in.

Reactions: thefadedone
I also liked Aliens because it seemed slightly more realistic. While the first movie had a more realistic scenario, the way he alien acted was incredibly unrealistic and seemed only good for a scare. The second movie, while having a slightly less realistic premise, really expanded on the creatures and made them believable, IMO.

:D Ripley is such a great character, feminist icon!:)

She is! Apparently the character was originally meant to be male. I wonder if she was written to be female originally her character would be any different. Probably, they'd make her more stereotypically female. It makes Sigourney Weaver awesome by default though. when she had a cameo in a film recently, the whole cinema cheered when she came on screen. You know thats because of alien not some other crappy film haha.

I liked Alien 1 2 3 4 (funnily enough in that order of preference). but yeah, Alien Vs Predator was AWFUL. Eeuuughhh.