TV & Film Movie Lounge

I'm watching yet another Hallmark Christmas movie, a new one called Heaven Down Here. I am liking it so far.
Oh, and A Not So Royal Christmas was good, but I thought it could have been a bit better. I still enjoyed it, though.

• Informative
Reactions: Emma JC
I was looking at Netflix trying to find something to watch and stumbled on Hunter Killer. Submarine war movie. It was pretty good. It came out in 2019 but I never heard about it till now. Pretty good reviews. IMDB gave it a 6.6. Gerald Butler stars.

• Informative
Reactions: Emma JC
I was looking at Netflix trying to find something to watch and stumbled on Hunter Killer. Submarine war movie. It was pretty good. It came out in 2019 but I never heard about it till now. Pretty good reviews. IMDB gave it a 6.6. Gerald Butler stars.
That sounds like something I would enjoy. I hadn't heard of it, either. The cast looks good.

Reactions: Lou
Chicken Run 2: The Dawn of the Nugget.

Watched this last night. I'm a big fan of the stuff this studio puts out. I love Wallace and Grommet. And I am a big fan of this movie but I and most reviewers don't think it's as good as the original .

VegNews and PBN both make much of the anti factory farming messaging in CR2. The vegan friendly Vox News discusses the messaging, too. The NYT barely mentions it.
And I watched it and barely noticed the messaging.

If Dr. Seuss and the Simpsons are good examples, the writers may have gone with the idea that kids don't like to be preached at, the less is more concept. So the message is there. but you have to look for it.

The strongest message was a message to the parents watching it: Don't be overprotective.
And maybe a few kids might get the message: Chickens are people, too.

Further reading

Totally irrelevant but interesting trivia.
Right before the end of CR2 you get a glimpse of a penguin in a chicken costume.
Fans of Wallace and Grommet recognize him. Its Feathers McGraw, the villain of Wallace and Grommet's the Wrong Trousers.
Some fans are freaking out. Because at the end of Wrong Trousers, Feathers is in jail. Does this mean he has broken out?!
No. CR2 is set in the 50s or 60s. Wrong Trousers is contemporary. In fact, one could suppose that breaking chickens out of factories is what set Feathers on his life of crime.

We saw Godzilla Minus One at the cinema today. I hadn't read any full reviews and only looked at how good the ratings were. It wasn't what I expected as it was subtitled and I was expecting more of an action monster movie. I cried a bit at the end. It was quite serious and intelligent in tone and it was about the Second World War. It had what I thought was the original music from Godzilla and I just googled and that was right. I didn't even realise I would have remembered that. My husband didn't notice and he is much more of a geek than me. :laughing:

I would give the film about 9 and 1/2 out of 10.

• Informative
Reactions: Lou and PTree15
Just watched Run Hide Fight.
I can't remember where I first heard about it but it is controversial so I wanted to form my own opinion.
On the surface it's just a decent shoot 'em up action thriller with a female protagonist. the most superficial description could be Die Hard in a High School. And as far as the cinematic experience I enjoyed the film.
you do have to be prepared to suspend disbelief. but that happens in almost every movie. However in some places this movie was scary realistic.
The controversial part is because "it was produced by the controversial commentator Ben Shapiro and was released by his media company The Daily Wire". the movie probably has a right wing message or an agenda that I wouldn't agree with. However the writers seemed to be confused about what the were trying to say or maybe they just didn't want to be too overt. So the message/agenda didn't really come across.

We are probably going to watch The Ice Road at some point. It is another Liam Neeson action film so I would imagine fairly predictable.

We sat down to watch it yesterday and realised that it was a film called Cold Pursuit with him in that we had seen already! Liam Neeson/snow/action film so it was understandable that we got the films confused. :lol:

Liam Neeson Actioner Cold Pursuit Has a Sequel Now in Development

Reactions: Emma JC and PTree15
We are probably going to watch The Ice Road at some point. It is another Liam Neeson action film so I would imagine fairly predictable.

We sat down to watch it yesterday and realised that it was a film called Cold Pursuit with him in that we had seen already! Liam Neeson/snow/action film so it was understandable that we got the films confused. :lol:

Liam Neeson Actioner Cold Pursuit Has a Sequel Now in Development
I think you got this mixed up.
Ice Road and Cold Pursuit are two different movies. I'm pretty sure I've seen Ice Road. Maybe I've seen Cold Pursuit, too. And as the article explained, Cold Pursuit has a sequel As far as I can tell it hasn't come out yet.
maybe when Cold Pursuit 2 comes out I'll watch the first one as a reminder.

We watched Terry Pratchett's Hogfather yesterday. I think Death is awesome. He has so much character and is so wise and philosophical.

I think you got this mixed up.
Ice Road and Cold Pursuit are two different movies. I'm pretty sure I've seen Ice Road. Maybe I've seen Cold Pursuit, too. And as the article explained, Cold Pursuit has a sequel As far as I can tell it hasn't come out yet.
maybe when Cold Pursuit 2 comes out I'll watch the first one as a reminder.
That is what I said. We sat down to watch Cold Pursuit last night thinking it was Ice Road, which we haven't seen yet.

I can't even really remember Cold Pursuit, but I remembered Laura Dern being in it.

I did see another film with him in the snow. The Grey, it was about wolves.

Just watched Run Hide Fight.

The controversial part is because "it was produced by the controversial commentator Ben Shapiro and was released by his media company The Daily Wire". the movie probably has a right wing message or an agenda that I wouldn't agree with. However the writers seemed to be confused about what the were trying to say or maybe they just didn't want to be too overt. So the message/agenda didn't really come across.

Ending up thinking about this movie some more. And I think that is a good sign. If the writers wanted you to think about this movie - it worked. Although I doubt I'm thinking about this movie the way they intended. This movie could also be a good conversation starter. And I think that is good for both sides.

I guess if I hadn't known it was produced by Ben Shapiro I probably wouldn't have thought about it some more. When I woke up this morning it was on my mind. What WAS the message they were trying to send. Was there an agenda?

The movie portrays some of the cops as either bumbling or cowardly. You don't' have to look at too many school shootings to find Actual examples of both. And then that is diluted by the sheriff coming across as a good guy.

Right Wingers have a sort of slogan: the solution for a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun. Well, I don't see that as a message here. unless you look for it. And you can find that message, if you look for it, in every Die Hard type movie ever made. And besides, in the beginning only the bad guys had guns. Our heroine got her guns from the bad guys.

I don't think the movie did much for the second amendment. Pro or against. Although most people already agree that gun owners need training. And we can assume that our heroine has received some training from her ex-army dad.

Pro Gun Rights people often say that schools need better security, or better doors, or locks. That school staff need training, plans, etc. Well none of those things did any good or would have done any good against these shooters. (and again they weren't anything unusual in the set of school shooters).

It wasn't promoted, maybe just hinted, or perhaps I'm reading into it but the only solution I saw in this movie was better social services. Which is NOT part of the right wing agenda.

The other things that I thought odd coming from a right wing producer. The protagonist was a strong female. And involved with a black student. One of the best virtues was her compassion.

Found this on Reddit

Reactions: Raven