TV & Film Movie Lounge

My NewFeeder somehow figures out what kind of news I like and has started feeding me articles from Giant Freakin Robot.
It's a WebZine that specializes on Movies and TV. The five big streaming sites are reported on, plus what is in the theaters, and what is being planned. It has a bias towards Sci Fi.
I have been using it to get ideas of movies to put on my To Watch List. It seems to be very good at promoting overlooked movies.

Reactions: PTree15
Ending up thinking about this movie some more. And I think that is a good sign. If the writers wanted you to think about this movie - it worked. Although I doubt I'm thinking about this movie the way they intended. This movie could also be a good conversation starter. And I think that is good for both sides.

I guess if I hadn't known it was produced by Ben Shapiro I probably wouldn't have thought about it some more. When I woke up this morning it was on my mind. What WAS the message they were trying to send. Was there an agenda?

The movie portrays some of the cops as either bumbling or cowardly. You don't' have to look at too many school shootings to find Actual examples of both. And then that is diluted by the sheriff coming across as a good guy.

Right Wingers have a sort of slogan: the solution for a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun. Well, I don't see that as a message here. unless you look for it. And you can find that message, if you look for it, in every Die Hard type movie ever made. And besides, in the beginning only the bad guys had guns. Our heroine got her guns from the bad guys.

I don't think the movie did much for the second amendment. Pro or against. Although most people already agree that gun owners need training. And we can assume that our heroine has received some training from her ex-army dad.

Pro Gun Rights people often say that schools need better security, or better doors, or locks. That school staff need training, plans, etc. Well none of those things did any good or would have done any good against these shooters. (and again they weren't anything unusual in the set of school shooters).

It wasn't promoted, maybe just hinted, or perhaps I'm reading into it but the only solution I saw in this movie was better social services. Which is NOT part of the right wing agenda.

The other things that I thought odd coming from a right wing producer. The protagonist was a strong female. And involved with a black student. One of the best virtues was her compassion.

Found this on Reddit
I found it extremely tense, but I liked it. I was very shocked at how graphic it was.

After reading what you wrote I did see what you were saying about gun ownership. Some bits reminded me of the Columbine shooting, what I heard about it, although that was probably mostly Michael Moore.

I found it extremely tense, but I liked it. I was very shocked at how graphic it was.

After reading what you wrote I did see what you were saying about gun ownership. Some bits reminded me of the Columbine shooting, what I heard about it, although that was probably mostly Michael Moore.
yes. there were elements from Columbine. most school shooting are the product of just one gunman. Columbine may be the only one that had multiple gunmen. the security guard was somewhat reminiscent of the situation in Parkland, Florida. And the police not taking quick action was reminiscent of Uvalde, Texas. The main shooter seemed to be a combination of people. I remember the Sandy Hook shooter's first victim was his mother, too.

I`ve just seen Forgotten Love on Netflix. Aside the dubbing which wasn`t of the finest quality the film was quite unique. The 2 main characters
i.e the brain surgeon and his daughter gave an outstanding performance. I was quite moved by the story despite it being a tad unrealistic.

• Informative
Reactions: Emma JC and PTree15
I decided to watch the Jack Reacher movie from 2012. I am guessing it is the first one. Since I have been watching the TV series, I wanted to compare them. I thought the movie was good and I will watch the other ones. Even though Tom Cruise doesn't fit the part physically, I thought he captured the attitude quite well. I do think the TV show guy does it better and of course fits the book's physical description. It was cool that Lee Child, the author of the books, had a small part in the movie.

Reactions: Emma JC
  • Haha
Reactions: Emma JC and Lou
A lot of people disliked Tom Cruise in that role. I haven't read the books.

I was asking the people I went out with yesterday what their best film of the year was. I think Godzilla was for me.

I did like Talk to Me, Thanksgiving and Scream, all horror films.

• Informative
Reactions: Emma JC
A lot of people disliked Tom Cruise in that role. I haven't read the books.

I was asking the people I went out with yesterday what their best film of the year was. I think Godzilla was for me.

I did like Talk to Me, Thanksgiving and Scream, all horror films.
My dad is one of them, as he has read the books, and he was like, Tom Cruise is too short and small to play Reacher!

I've read a couple, and Reacher is described as like 6-5 or something and huge, like a football player.

Reactions: Emma JC and Raven
The character depiction in movies is always an issue when one has read the books I think! I know I have been disappointed with the casting of some books to movies as well as changing up the story. I like Alan Ritchson as Reacher. I think I saw in the credits that Tom Cruise was one of the producers so I guess he cast himself. LOL

Just finished watching the Map of Tiny Perfect Things (1921). You can watch it on Prime.
It was wonderful. 5 Stars.
Groundhog Day, but with teenagers.

• Informative
Reactions: PTree15 and Emma JC
We have a subscription to Shudder which we are going to cancel. We had seen Hell House (2015) ages ago but we watched the Hell House Origins (2023) film just now. I have to say that I am a seasoned horror film fan, but this was quite scary! 😑 Very well done. It takes a lot to frighten me.😂

• Informative
Reactions: Emma JC and PTree15