TV & Film Movie Lounge

last night we watched The Man from Earth - it is from 2007 and we had seen it before I think - I find it a fascinating movie, especially as I am almost finished The Invisible Life of Addie Larue - there is a sequel from 2017 and it has a very low rating and when I read the comments they were very clear not to watch it or it will ruin the first one for you .... I will not watch the sequel.

Emma JC
Find your vegan soulmate or just a friend. www.spiritualmatchmaking.com
I saw that movie. I probably saw it in 2007. So I don't remember that much about it but that it was really interesting. And it is sort of the same concept as Addie.

A highly interesting film where one of the main characters was Virginia Hall,one of the first woman spies during WW2.

''In the beginning of WWII, with Britain becoming desperate, Churchill orders his new spy agency - SOE - to recruit and train women as spies.''

I saw that movie. I’m not much of a Redford/Fonda fan but it was really good. I enjoy movies about relationships and ones that deal with issues about aging.

• Friendly
Reactions: PTree15 and shyvas
I saw that movie. I’m not much of a Redford/Fonda fan but it was really good. I enjoy movies about relationships and ones that deal with issues about aging.

It reminded me of the 1st film they made together (can't recall the title) but how they've changed. :D

Reactions: KLS52
I think that is true. Not having gone to any horror movies back in the day I can't tell you from personal experience.
I do have a vague recollection of a non-horror movie (I think it was a sci-fi) where having something external to the movie happening to the audience was part of the story - a movie (and a theatre) inside the movie. that may have been based on something.
Moving slightly off- topic, I think the best example of something like this has to be the Rocky Horror Picture show. Which was not a horror movie but a musical satire of the classic 50s horror movie. It became a cult favorite and some theaters had a Friday night midnight showing all year long.
audience members would show up with props that would be employed at various cues during the movie. The audience also would shout lines back at the screen on cue. The musical numbers were almost sing-a-longs.
One time I was watching it and a dozen members of the audience climbed onto the stage in front of the screen and acted out the entire movie, in appropiate costuemes. In fact a lot of the audience sees the movie as an excuse for cosplay.

I'd imagine that during a horror movie, it would be major scare.
Thank you for the info.

• Friendly
Reactions: shyvas
I watched Bombshell. Mostly because of the beautiful actresses. it was an un-interesting story.

The makeup artist who turned John Lithgow into Roger Ales did an amazing job and won many awards.
Charlenze and Nicole did decent jobs. Margot's performance was good.

I hadn't really followed the news back then all this was happening. Well I did follow the news but not Fox News. And certainly not the Ales story. So a lot of the little things going in the background left me confused but not curious enough to want to find out what was going on.

Also turning Megyn Kelly into a sympathetic character is more or less impossible and they didn't manage that.

• Informative
Reactions: Emma JC
I think that is true. Not having gone to any horror movies back in the day I can't tell you from personal experience.
I do have a vague recollection of a non-horror movie (I think it was a sci-fi) where having something external to the movie happening to the audience was part of the story - a movie (and a theatre) inside the movie. that may have been based on something.
Moving slightly off- topic, I think the best example of something like this has to be the Rocky Horror Picture show. Which was not a horror movie but a musical satire of the classic 50s horror movie. It became a cult favorite and some theaters had a Friday night midnight showing all year long.
audience members would show up with props that would be employed at various cues during the movie. The audience also would shout lines back at the screen on cue. The musical numbers were almost sing-a-longs.
One time I was watching it and a dozen members of the audience climbed onto the stage in front of the screen and acted out the entire movie, in appropiate costuemes. In fact a lot of the audience sees the movie as an excuse for cosplay.

Rocky Horror--good times on a Friday night! I did Magenta a couple times, my boyfriend Riff Raff

Reactions: Emma JC and Lou
I watched Booksmart last night. Its been on my list for a long time. I tend to avoid movies about High School but I'm going to have to re-think that.
This was a good film. Very clever dialogs all around.
It had both kinds of character development. The external kind where the audience learns a lot about the character and the internal kind, where the character changes/matures/ or develops.
The character development wasn't just limited to the main characters but all she secondary characters had a good deal. Molly, one of the main characters dealing with that is one of the main themes.
It also resembled a morality play in many ways. and the messages were not so obvious to turn off the kids who might be watching it but at the same time obvious enough to get thru to even oblivious teens.
I thought the actress playing Amy looked familiar so after it was over I check on IMDB and she was also in Unbelievable - where she did an outstanding job. The other lead actress was also great.
I also thought the pacing was excellent. Some of the gags were great. It was also really well put together.

we watched The Good Liar on Thursday night with Helen Mirren and Ian McLellan - it was good

last night we watched 3 more episodes of Nine Perfect Strangers and I think there is just one more to go in the first season - it is strange and interesting and I don't think there will be a second season

Emma JC

we watched The Good Liar on Thursday night with Helen Mirren and Ian McLellan - it was good

last night we watched 3 more episodes of Nine Perfect Strangers and I think there is just one more to go in the first season - it is strange and interesting and I don't think there will be a second season

Emma JC

I saw The Liar a few months ago and really enjoyed it. Moreover, the acting was excellent. I have watched it a few times since, just to see the main actors who are brilliant.

I watched Bombshell last night and didn't actually recognise Charlize Theron as Megan Kelly!

Yeah the makeup artist for that movie was great. Charlize lured him out of retirement. and then he won all the awards.

Besides the make up - what did you think of the movie?