TV & Film Movie Lounge

I watched Booksmart last night. Its been on my list for a long time. I tend to avoid movies about High School but I'm going to have to re-think that.
This was a good film. Very clever dialogs all around.
It had both kinds of character development. The external kind where the audience learns a lot about the character and the internal kind, where the character changes/matures/ or develops.
The character development wasn't just limited to the main characters but all she secondary characters had a good deal. Molly, one of the main characters dealing with that is one of the main themes.
It also resembled a morality play in many ways. and the messages were not so obvious to turn off the kids who might be watching it but at the same time obvious enough to get thru to even oblivious teens.
I thought the actress playing Amy looked familiar so after it was over I check on IMDB and she was also in Unbelievable - where she did an outstanding job. The other lead actress was also great.
I also thought the pacing was excellent. Some of the gags were great. It was also really well put together.

we watched half of Unbelievable last night - thank you for the recommendation - it is very captivating - knowing it was based on a true story makes it even more compelling and heart breaking

Emma JC
Find your vegan soulmate or just a friend. www.spiritualmatchmaking.com

• Love
Reactions: Lou
we watched half of Unbelievable last night - thank you for the recommendation - it is very captivating - knowing it was based on a true story makes it even more compelling and heart breaking

Emma JC
Check out Booksmart when you are done with Unbelievable. Same actress but totally different. And Booksmart is funny.

Reactions: Emma JC
Yeah the makeup artist for that movie was great. Charlize lured him out of retirement. and then he won all the awards.

Besides the make up - what did you think of the movie?

I found it more like a documentary rather than a film. If you don't know the real story it may be difficult to understand.

Sadly, sexual harassement is a major problem in many work places. I think that most women can relate.

Reactions: Lou and Emma JC
Check out Booksmart when you are done with Unbelievable. Same actress but totally different. And Booksmart is funny.

finished Unbelievable yesterday afternoon so didn't get any of the Sunday chores done.... it was amazing

tried to watch Booksmart last night but sorry, it was a no go for us, watched about 15 minutes and turned it off

Emma JC

• Sad
I keep a list of movies I want to see. I don't actually use it as much as I should. Netflix and TV shows seem to be more than enough. But lately I have been trying to make a dent on the list. A lot of the movies are available as DVDs at the library and since I go to the library once a week anyway, its been easy to just add some movies to my "holds" list and pick them up as they become available.

One movie I got this week was Upgrade. I actually don't remember when or why I added this movie to my list.
It wasn't that great but it was interesting.

Just now I checked on its reviews. It got a lot of good ones - so that must be how it got on my list.

Here is an excerpt from one of the reviews.

"Upgrade" isn't perfect, and a few of its tropes are just a little too familiar, but, like Neill Blonkamp's "Chappie", it's an exciting, dramatic, and surprisingly fun twist on a well-worn concept. "

• Informative
I watched High Life tonight. Another movie on my list. and although I don't remember putting it on the list one might surmise that I must have been reading about science fiction movies of 2018.

This movie was awful. The only reason I watched it to the end was I was waiting for something to happen.

The movie is sort of pretty to look at but there is little of interest in this movie.

After I watched the movie I checked out the reviews. On Rotten Tomatoes the critics loved the movie. but the audience walked out. Was there something in this movie that only a seasoned movie goer could see?

• Informative
Can’t wait to watch this! I may wait until after Halloween when I can go high gear into Christmas mode. I love love love David Rose and I really like Kristin Stewart. 😍

Reactions: PTree15
finished Unbelievable yesterday afternoon so didn't get any of the Sunday chores done.... it was amazing

tried to watch Booksmart last night but sorry, it was a no go for us, watched about 15 minutes and turned it off

Emma JC
Come to think of it, I didn't like it that much for the first 15 minutes or so. Once I got past the party-on-the-yacht scene I was sold on it. And the 2-minute drug-induced shared hallucination doll scene was worth the price of admission. and I really liked the feel-good ending.

we watched The Starling last night, with Melissa McCarthy and Kevin Kline - it was so nice to see Kevin again as I have always liked him - it was an interesting movie and we enjoyed it - made us laugh and feel other emotions and that is always what counts in my book

Emma JC

we watched The Starling last night, with Melissa McCarthy and Kevin Kline - it was so nice to see Kevin again as I have always liked him - it was an interesting movie and we enjoyed it - made us laugh and feel other emotions and that is always what counts in my book

Emma JC
I’m so excited to see this. I just know I will love it!

I watched Moxie, on Netflix, last night.

After years of avoiding movies that take place in High Schools with HS kids, I've discovered that at least some of them are worth watching.

I saw the little Netflix preview/ad of Moxie and it intrigued me. Plus how bad could it be with Amy Poehler as the director. The movie is also based on a novel that got good reviews too.

Anyway, I really liked it. The message was a good one although I'm not sure in 2021 it still is new or fresh. but certainly worth repeating. I thought the acting, directing, and pacing was all excellent.

Man, I watched the Big Lebowski last night.
Of course I've seen it before, man, but its was definitely worth re-watching.
The Dude abides. Man.
I need to rewatch that. Such a good movie. I want to see the new Clint Eastwood movie, but I'm not keen to go to theater. I can't believe he is 91!