TV & Film Movie Lounge

I watched News of the World last night.
Way better than I expected from the reviews.
Its mostly Tom Hanks, and that makes it pretty good.
Its pretty historically accurate, too.

we loved it!

We watched The Irresistible Blueberry Farm (not Incredible) as recommended by @KLS52 - thank you for the recommendation. Definitely Hallmarky and enjoyable.

Emma JC
Find your vegan soulmate or just a friend. www.spiritualmatchmaking.com

• Love
Reactions: Lou and KLS52
This week I felt like watching some black and white movies:

Night of the Living Dead (1968)

Nosferatu: A Symphony of Horror (1922)

Both really interesting movies and true works of art. Horror movies are very creative. Night of the Living Dead depicts well how differently people react when **** hits the fan.
Back in the day, my brother said that our father looks like Count Orlok. He actually kinda does. Bless my brother and his sharp observations.
But the way the Count looks, is really amazing. I love it. And the music in the movie sets the atmosphere. I also enjoyed the dramatic acting. Every scene in Nosferatu is beautiful and weird. Over all a great movie.

Last edited by a moderator:
The Phantom of The Opera (1925)

In the 1925 movie they use the effect where at some scenes we see only the shadow of the Phantom, kind of like in Nosferatu. This version is considered as the best adaptation of the novel, even though the ending differs from the original source material and also some other changes was made.
The scene where the face of the Phantom is revealed is pretty cool. Also the scene where Erik crashes the party dressed as The Red Death is amazing. Lon Chaney was an talented actor and his makeup was great. He was an makeup artist, so that explains why the makeup was so impressive.
For some reason I remember that in the novel the Phantom is even more repulsive as a character. The novel over all felt more intense. Just like books always are a more intense of an experience. But I don't remember much about the novel anymore. And reading it once was unpleasant experience enough, so I'm not going to freshen my memory any time soon. It could be that Erik actually wasn't a rotting corpse in the novel, but that's how I imagined him for some reason. Maybe to explain why he has no nose?
For some peculiar reason there has always been fans that find the monster attractive. And don't get me wrong, I don't care that much about appearances. But with monster, I mean manipulative, controlling and homicidal. It could be that people who find this attractive probably have never experienced an healthy relationship.
The Phantom of The Opera movies portray the Phantom as pitiful and lonely, which to be fair, Erik probably is. I guess that everyone deserves an redemption, but some weak and naive girl like Christine definitely can not deliver that.

According to Cinema Therapy, Twilight also has a fanbase where people want the girl to get together with an manipulative and controlling man. I'm not particularly acquainted with the Twilight franchise otherwise.
Michael Myers surprisingly also has this sort of an fanbase where people want Michael and Laurie to get together. I find Michael Myers entertaining, but not in that sense. Simply a case of completely tasteless humour.

Has anyone seen The Vvitch? My brother wants to watch it with me, but I don't know if that's a good thing for my sanity. I do like "horror" movies, but I'm very specific, there either has to be something that is at least remotely funny or something freaking epic and over the top that I can appreciate (like the room of bones in The Texas Chainsaw Massacre). I don't like it when a movie messes with my head and makes me uneasy for many years (or nearly a decade) after watching the movie, giving me flashbacks etc.

But talking about disturding horror movies, one of my favourites is MARTYRS. It's absolutely astonishing. And for some reason, it didn't disturb me that much. But it could be that I couldn't watch it the whole way through anymore.

Has anyone seen The Vvitch? My brother wants to watch it with me, but I don't know if that's a good thing for my sanity. I do like "horror" movies, but I'm very specific, there either has to be something that is at least remotely funny or something freaking epic and over the top that I can appreciate (like the room of bones in The Texas Chainsaw Massacre). I don't like it when a movie messes with my head and makes me uneasy for many years (or nearly a decade) after watching the movie, giving me flashbacks etc.

I don't watch horror movies at all. I've seen like 2 in the last 40 years.

I was tempted to watch the Witch because after The Queens Gambit I thought I was in love with Taylor-Joy. But I've seen some of her other movies and I'm over her now.

we made it partway through Emma last night - based on the Jane Austen book - my honey does not like British humour and disliked the movie intensely and so I will watch the rest on my own - I found it interesting at least

Emma JC
Find your vegan soulmate or just a friend. www.spiritualmatchmaking.com

Which Emma? Oh, I bet you watched the new one.
I've seen a few of them. and that one is my favorite. Unless you let me count Clueless.

Maybe I liked that one so much is because I had a crush on Anna Taylor-Joy. I fell in love with her in The Queens Gambit.

I'm usually not a big fan of romances, but Austen's romances are almost in a separate category.

Reactions: Emma JC
Breathe

The film tells the true story of Jonathan's father, Robin Cavendish, who, in the 1950s, was stricken with polio at age 28 but went on to live a rich life of adventure and advocacy despite being paralyzed and requiring a respirator. ... “My father's mantra was quality of life,” explains Jonathan Cavendish.

A brilliant watch ,well I thought so 😎

Last edited:

But talking about disturding horror movies, one of my favourites is MARTYRS. It's absolutely astonishing. And for some reason, it didn't disturb me that much. But it could be that I couldn't watch it the whole way through anymore.

The Texas Chainsaw movie was showing in the city near our little town, it was like years ago. When the film was on screen a guy ran into the theater with a chainsaw revving holding it above his head. He ran down the aisle across the front and down the other side and then out the theater

• Friendly
Reactions: Lou
The Texas Chainsaw movie was showing in the city near our little town, it was like years ago. When the film was on screen a guy ran into the theater with a chainsaw revving holding it above his head. He ran down the aisle across the front and down the other side and then out the theater
Was that supposed to be part of the experience, or was that some random crazy person?
I have read that back in the day in theatres there were those kind of interactions between the audience and the workers, especially when the theatre showed an horror movie.