TV & Film Movie Lounge

I have two LGBT themed films I want to recomend. :)

"Boys in the Band". Netflix. - Not because of it's one of the most amazing films I've seen, but the history behind it. It's based on a play from 1968, and when you know that the Stonewall riots were in 1969, you also see the bravery in both the script and the original 9 men that played in it. In the 2020 film, all nine actors are openly gay. The author of the original script lived to see this happen.

"The Danish Girl". (I found it on HBO). A beautiful film about Lili Elbe, that is one of the first person to go through gender confirming surgeries. Lili is played by Eddie Redmayne, and this has of cause been a bit topic in the LGBT community, as he has supported some of JK Rowling's statements and that they choose to cast a cis man in a transgender role. But I really loved his acting in this role, and I think he did it well anyways. :)

• Friendly
Reactions: PTree15 and Emma JC
Last night we watched The Social Dilemma (apologies if it has been discussed already). It is a documentary about the influences of social media in our lives and it is quite scary, fascinating and interesting. Most of it I already knew/suspected and therefore do not do social media (other than here) but it is pretty crazy to think how much our lives are influenced, without us being aware of it. It is on Netflix and I highly recommend watching as it will maybe help us to understand the friends and neighbour who disagree with us politically (for example).

Emma JC
Find your vegan soulmate or just a friend... www.spiritualmatchmaking.com

Apparently this film is based on a true story but there is no trace of it on the internet. I find some of the decisions that
were made by the man who plays the lead role very difficult to comprehend. Moreover, he was an ex serviceman which makes me
doubt the veracity of this story.

• Informative
Reactions: Emma JC and Lou
Last night we watched The Social Dilemma (apologies if it has been discussed already). It is a documentary about the influences of social media in our lives and it is quite scary, fascinating and interesting. Most of it I already knew/suspected and therefore do not do social media (other than here) but it is pretty crazy to think how much our lives are influenced, without us being aware of it. It is on Netflix and I highly recommend watching as it will maybe help us to understand the friends and neighbour who disagree with us politically (for example).

Emma JC
Find your vegan soulmate or just a friend... www.spiritualmatchmaking.com

I just finished watching this now, so that for posting it. Most of it wasn't exactly new information, but it's different reading a bit about it here and there and entire documentary about it.

I have to say it's an alarming numbers of people having mental issues and comitted suicide now, that they connected to the social media. :(

I've seen several posting on Facebook, that they are leaving it. But instead they only go to other platforms and apps, and I really don't see why that make the big difference, they are not there for no one to make a dime either.

Facebook are used for too much information, and I have in fact missed meetings at work(!!!) because of not being a specific group...

Reactions: Emma JC
Go Hallmark! Can’t wait to see this one. It premieres Sunday.

To celebrate halloween I re-watched Ginger Snaps. I don't usually like to watch scary movies or movies with a lot of violence and gore, but I felt nostalgic and was interested once more of the movie. After watching it, I began to appreciate how well the movie was made, the characters were realistic, the werewolf and the transformation was amazingly done. I also liked the feminist aspects of the movie and especially enjoyed Emily Perkins acting as Brigitte Fitzgerald, she is very nuanced character and doesn't smile except when there is a good reason to. Her growing apart from Ginger and gathering strenght to become her own individual after all her life hiding behind her sister is dramatic.

I don't know how this has escaped me before, but the scene where Ginger convinces her dad that the pool of blood is corn syrup, wasn't thought completely through. The smell of blood is very strong, you can't miss it. But I explaned this scene by the fact that their dad is apathetic and their mom lives in denial, so maybe they ignore the strong smell.

I must add that the music is awesome.

Reactions: Lou
Spenser Confidential
On Netflix.

I know at least a couple of you were fans of the Spenser novels and even the TV show.

I didn't like the movie that much. It had its moments but I thought the fight scenes were too brutal. Some of the dialog was clever but I thought the characters were sort of stupid and the situations contrived.

I started but still haven't finished the first Spencer novel but it appears to have little in common with the books but the characters' names, that it's in Boston, and maybe a few other details. This is actually a pet peeve of mine when a movie takes a well known, popular character in fiction, but then changes almost everything about him. Just give the character a different name. That would be more honest.

• Friendly
We have been watching a great show on CBC Gem (it is also available on Amazon Prime, only in the USA). It is called Still Standing and it is Johnny Harris from Murdoch Mysteries (George Crabtree).

He is a stand up comedian as well as an actor and he took his show on road to all of the small and struggling towns, across Canada, to showcase them. He is funny and kind and generous and we are loving it. CBC Gem allows us to go back, for free, to Season 5 and Season 6 so we have quite a few that we have already watched and some to go. What amazes me is the diversity, in the small towns and the acceptance of each other. I have always lived in a city (other than where we have had cottages) and it really does make us consider moving to a smaller town just to have "community".

Emma JC
Find your vegan soulmate or just a friend. www.spiritualmatchmaking.com

It seemed promising but it was just a compilation of very violent scenes and bad directing.
The scene in Marseille was filmed in Spain and didn't even remotely look like the city.

Even Blake and Jude couldn't save this film. However, Blake's British accent was quite interesting as it sounded authentic.

To celebrate halloween I re-watched Ginger Snaps. I don't usually like to watch scary movies or movies with a lot of violence and gore, but I felt nostalgic and was interested once more of the movie. After watching it, I began to appreciate how well the movie was made, the characters were realistic, the werewolf and the transformation was amazingly done. I also liked the feminist aspects of the movie and especially enjoyed Emily Perkins acting as Brigitte Fitzgerald, she is very nuanced character and doesn't smile except when there is a good reason to. Her growing apart from Ginger and gathering strenght to become her own individual after all her life hiding behind her sister is dramatic.

I don't know how this has escaped me before, but the scene where Ginger convinces her dad that the pool of blood is corn syrup, wasn't thought completely through. The smell of blood is very strong, you can't miss it. But I explaned this scene by the fact that their dad is apathetic and their mom lives in denial, so maybe they ignore the strong smell.

I must add that the music is awesome.

I was thinking about that film the other day as it was featured in a compilation of horror films in a documentary I was watching.

I started watching Ginger Snaps years ago at home and my cat came in with a cut on her so I took her to the vet and I never saw the ending.

I didn't realise that both those actresses are in the show Supernatural as well.

Reactions: Deleted member 3018
Spenser Confidential
On Netflix.

I know at least a couple of you were fans of the Spenser novels and even the TV show.

I didn't like the movie that much. It had its moments but I thought the fight scenes were too brutal. Some of the dialog was clever but I thought the characters were sort of stupid and the situations contrived.

I started but still haven't finished the first Spencer novel but it appears to have little in common with the books but the characters' names, that it's in Boston, and maybe a few other details. This is actually a pet peeve of mine when a movie takes a well known, popular character in fiction, but then changes almost everything about him. Just give the character a different name. That would be more honest.
I loved the Spenser novels. They were such fun and quick reads. Great books for a rainy day or a day at the beach. I haven't seen the movie, but I did used to watch the TV show quite regularly back in the day. :)

I've been busting out Christmas movies: Last Holiday, Die Hard, Lethal Weapon, Love Actually and Bridget Jones's Diary. I'm saving A Christmas Story and It's a Wonderful Life for closer to Christmas.

I've been busting out Christmas movies: Last Holiday, Die Hard, Lethal Weapon, Love Actually and Bridget Jones's Diary. I'm saving A Christmas Story and It's a Wonderful Life for closer to Christmas.
Ha! I realize that Die Hard happens during Christmas but I never thought of it as a Christmas Movie.

• Haha
Ha! I realize that Die Hard happens during Christmas but I never thought of it as a Christmas Movie.
LOL, there is a lot of debate about its selection as a Christmas movie, but I wholeheartedly side with the yes votes. :D It's always in my Christmas rotation.

• Friendly
Reactions: Lou
That’s my girl! 😍

• Love
Reactions: PTree15