TV & Film Movie Lounge

View attachment 23136

I bought (and read) the book some years ago and gifted it to a family member. Sadly, she gave it to a charity shop.
A very good read for those who love animals who bond with humans.

''Hachi-Ko, the samurai dog of Japan, became a celebrity in Tokyo during the turbulent 1930s. He was honored by a statue and a special celebration with thousands of guestsaeven while he was living as a wild street dog in a drainpipe. Once the cherished pet of Professor Eizaburo Ueno, Hachi-Ko won fame among young and old for his undying loyalty to the memory of his master. He returned like clockwork to meet the commuter train at Shibuya Train Station at the same time every day for seven years, despite battles with delinquents, dogcatchers, and vicious strays who threatened him and his friends. Faithful to his death, Hachi-Ko is famous even today as the Akita samurai dog of Japan. Shizuko O. Koster, author of the award-winning non-fiction story aThe Day Mother Sold the Family Swords, a ventures back to her motheras generation to tell the whole story of Tokyoas four-legged hero: Hachi-Ko.''
There are so many interesting books for those who love animals. Is there a thread about those kind of books already? I know there is the thread about what you are currently reading, but that's more random than specifically for animal lovers.

• Friendly
Reactions: shyvas
There are so many interesting books for those who love animals. Is there a thread about those kind of books already? I know there is the thread about what you are currently reading, but that's more random than specifically for animal lovers.
So very true. I know that we have already discussed Elsa (Born Free) and Hachiko on VV. However, I will have to see whether there is
a specific thread.
We have lost quite a few of them with the merger.

Reactions: Deleted member 3018

Greta Gerwick's film is quite a work of art and the best version that I've seen of Alcott's novel.
This is on my list of movies to watch. I read the book so long ago I don't even remember much about it so maybe that will be a good thing.

• Friendly
I don't like watching sad films at all.
Me neither. And violent films and series are the worst. Also sex scenes are kinda icky if I'm being honest.
But there are some sad and violent films, like for example Edward Scissorhands, Lord of The Rings and The Hobbit, just to mention a few, which are really awesome.

• Agree
Wait... Now I'm contradicting myself a lot... But actually my favourite films are sad: Ring of Bright Water, Spirited Away and Kiki's Delivery Service.
And the series that I follow: nature documentaries and animations for children have a lot of violence in them.
Hmm... Maybe I then like sad and violent movies and series?
I'm confusing myself.

Wait... Now I'm contradicting myself a lot... But actually my favourite films are sad: Ring of Bright Water, Spirited Away and Kiki's Delivery Service.
And the series that I follow: nature documentaries and animations for children have a lot of violence in them.
Hmm... Maybe I then like sad and violent movies and series?
I'm confusing myself.
I think I can help you there. But I'm not sure I can express it clearly. what you don't like is where the violence is the main point. Some modern films are ten minutes of storytelling (which may not even be very original or good, and then an hour and a half of fighting). while some movies are an hour and a half of storytelling that is good and original and ten minutes of fighting. Ok, LoR has more than 10 minutes of fighting. but it also has more than an hour a half of storytelling.

Art is about eliciting emotions. It could be any number of emotions. However, sadness can be generated pretty easily and cheaply. Old Yeller is a really really good story - it just has a sad ending. I'm of two minds about how "good" a Hallmark or an AT&T commercial is that solicits a tear in 60 seconds. Is that really amazing or is it just manipulative?

What do you think of this one?
Good storytelling or manipulative? or both?

digression: one of the most amazing books I ever read was Widow for a Year. In the last chapter, it had me crying and laughing at the same time. after finishing the book I decided that the entire narrative of the book was to lead you to that exact place. Masterful or manipulative?

• Informative
Reactions: Deleted member 3018
I think I can help you there. But I'm not sure I can express it clearly. what you don't like is where the violence is the main point. Some modern films are ten minutes of storytelling (which may not even be very original or good, and then an hour and a half of fighting). while some movies are an hour and a half of storytelling that is good and original and ten minutes of fighting. Ok, LoR has more than 10 minutes of fighting. but it also has more than an hour a half of storytelling.

Art is about eliciting emotions. It could be any number of emotions. However, sadness can be generated pretty easily and cheaply. Old Yeller is a really really good story - it just has a sad ending. I'm of two minds about how "good" a Hallmark or an AT&T commercial is that solicits a tear in 60 seconds. Is that really amazing or is it just manipulative?

What do you think of this one?
Good storytelling or manipulative? or both?

digression: one of the most amazing books I ever read was Widow for a Year. In the last chapter, it had me crying and laughing at the same time. after finishing the book I decided that the entire narrative of the book was to lead you to that exact place. Masterful or manipulative?
I have to think about this. But this does make a lot of sense. Thank you.

Reactions: Lou

A pleasant (not outstanding) film with some good acting. I was captivated by the beautiful scenery as the movie was filmed on location in Scotland.

Moreover, I also liked the fact that the cast was entirely made up of senior actors including Craig Ferguson and Kathie Lee Gifford. I don't recall having seen the former in a recent film but he is quite handsome.

Reactions: PTree15 and Emma JC
I re-watched Enola Holmes last night.

I really liked the movie the first time around and then went and read all the novels.

One of the reasons I re-watched the movie is that I have a pet peeve. I hate movies that take an iconic fictional character and then modify them beyond recognition. IMHO, Most of the iterations of modern Sherlock Holmes fits into that category. I mean why not just give the character in your movie a different name?

Sherlock is almost a minor character in the movie (and books) Enola Holmes. Even so, i thought the Sherlock Holmes in the Enola Holmes books and movie was traditional. The first time I watched Enola Holmes I didn't know that she too was a fictional character in books, but certainly not as iconic as her older brother.

I watched the movie with that in mind and I felt that the movie, although the story diverged from the novel almost immediately, showed an Enola that was essentially, but not exactly, the same character as in the books.

Usually, when I watch film adaptions, I like the book better. usually, that is because in order to fit everything in the movie they have to cut out a lot of stuff from the book. But the Enola Homes novels are so so short they didn't have to cut anything out. In fact, they added stuff. I liked the stuff they added -- it made for a better movie.

I just finished watching "Boyz in the Hood" which I have seen numerous times but not in recent years. John Singleton's premier award winning film is 30 years old next year and is still relevant today. Even though I knew the story, it still was deeply moving and had me in tears. One of my all time favorite movies!

A pleasant (not outstanding) film with some good acting. I was captivated by the beautiful scenery as the movie was filmed on location in Scotland.

Moreover, I also liked the fact that the cast was entirely made up of senior actors including Craig Ferguson and Kathie Lee Gifford. I don't recall having seen the former in a recent film but he is quite handsome.
Agree on Craig Ferguson! I might have to watch this.

• Love
I watched The Invitation (2015) on Netflix last night. I thought it was clever and well done. It's a horror/thriller.

• Friendly
Reactions: Emma JC
The new Wonder Woman film is disappointing.
My brother said it was just ok. I will still watch it when I can. I watched 2 older movies recently that I do not know how I missed watching before. "District 9" an interesting scify film and "The Gift", the 2001 version which was really good. I think it was discussed on here a while ago.

Reactions: Lou and Raven
My brother said it was just ok. I will still watch it when I can. I watched 2 older movies recently that I do not know how I missed watching before. "District 9" an interesting scify film and "The Gift", the 2001 version which was really good. I think it was discussed on here a while ago.
I liked The Gift. :)

• Friendly
Reactions: Lou and Emma JC
Which The Gift? the new one or the 2015 one.
I haven't seen either. I'll put it on my list. I guess the 2015 one has a higher rating. But the 2000 version sounds more my speed.

I thought District 9 was great.