Mortgage free by 2023

CrazyCatLady

Forum Legend
Reaction score
I know it's a bit ambitious...but this is what I'm thinking about!

I already consider myself to be pretty savvy. But this year already I have cancelled my phone contract...which ended at the end of December anyway. And am now using my old phone with a one month sim only contract. This month I have purchased a £12 bundle that gives me 250 mins, unlimited texts and data (for £10 I could have had 1gb data but I thought I'd splash out lol).
I am also booking in to have my hair cut at the local college for £7! I only usually have my hair cut every 3-4 months because I paid between £30-£50 for it.

However...I'm thinking about getting fiberoptic broadband but I'm hoping the £13 saving on my phone contract will cover that so the hair cuts are still a saving.

What's next :-D xxx

We are doing this too.:D Did you get the idea from MoneySavingExpert?

We have had our mortgage for ten years this year but have been overpaying for the last couple of years. We have thirteen years left but we are hoping to knock it down to six or seven years.

That haircut sounds cheap! My hairdresser cuts my hair at home and it costs us £20 including tip for the two of us.:)

I know it's a bit ambitious...but this is what I'm thinking about!

I already consider myself to be pretty savvy. But this year already I have cancelled my phone contract...which ended at the end of December anyway. And am now using my old phone with a one month sim only contract. This month I have purchased a £12 bundle that gives me 250 mins, unlimited texts and data (for £10 I could have had 1gb data but I thought I'd splash out lol).
I am also booking in to have my hair cut at the local college for £7! I only usually have my hair cut every 3-4 months because I paid between £30-£50 for it.

However...I'm thinking about getting fiberoptic broadband but I'm hoping the £13 saving on my phone contract will cover that so the hair cuts are still a saving.

What's next :-D xxx

Food, clothes, heating, petrol etc.

We are doing this too.:D Did you get the idea from MoneySavingExpert?

We have had our mortgage for ten years this year but have been overpaying for the last couple of years. We have thirteen years left but we are hoping to knock it down to six or seven years.

That haircut sounds cheap! My hairdresser cuts my hair at home and it costs us £20 including tip for the two of us.:)

I love MSE and take a lot of advice from there which I think (along with my mum) has helped me into this position. I actually got the house when I was 22 with a 20% deposit. That was ony 2 years ago! I might actually join one of their forums.

The whole hair and beauty thing at the college is SO cheap!! It's all supervised but they have to compete with the cheapest prices out there or they'd have no1 go in. Cannot recommend it enough if you have one nearby xxx

Reactions: AeryFairy and mary1
Food, clothes, heating, petrol etc.

I think I have my food down as far as I can. I spend about £40 a month.
I havent bought myself clothes for a few years apart from a few pairs of tights and a dress for my bf's basic training pass out parade (it was 20% off so down to about £20), borrowed a friend's shoes for it instead of buying some I knew I'd never wear again.
The heating I put on usually in November and it has been going off on occasional days already.
Petrol costs me about £50 a month on average, sometimes more, sometimes less. I live about 3-4 miles from work so I could cycle or walk. However, I went halves with someone for a parking permit at work. I pay £20 a month for that. If I HAD to drive and park at work it's £2 a day so if I drove for half the time I wouldn't be saving much. Also I would feel bad for my friend as she would have to pay the full amount on our parking permit. So I will continue to drive to work apart from on rare sunny datys lol xxx

I love MSE and take a lot of advice from there which I think (along with my mum) has helped me into this position. I actually got the house when I was 22 with a 20% deposit. That was ony 2 years ago!

Brilliant!:) I wish I had thought about financial stuff when I was your age!:up: We could have paid off our mortgage years ago if we had started overpaying at the start.:rolleyes:

I think I have my food down as far as I can. I spend about £40 a month.
I havent bought myself clothes for a few years apart from a few pairs of tights and a dress for my bf's basic training pass out parade (it was 20% off so down to about £20), borrowed a friend's shoes for it instead of buying some I knew I'd never wear again.
The heating I put on usually in November and it has been going off on occasional days already.
Petrol costs me about £50 a month on average, sometimes more, sometimes less. I live about 3-4 miles from work so I could cycle or walk. However, I went halves with someone for a parking permit at work. I pay £20 a month for that. If I HAD to drive and park at work it's £2 a day so if I drove for half the time I wouldn't be saving much. Also I would feel bad for my friend as she would have to pay the full amount on our parking permit. So I will continue to drive to work apart from on rare sunny datys lol xxx

That is amazing, how do you manage that ? I'm very savvy shopper and spend far more than that per month. Granted that food is far more expensive overhere and that mainly all veg stuff is organic.

That is amazing, how do you manage that ? I'm very savvy shopper and spend far more than that per month. Granted that food is far more expensive overhere and that mainly all veg stuff is organic.

I buy my fruit and veg as and when I need it from the green grocer round the corner from me. So it's very cheap and I never have any waste.
Pastas and rice I tend to buy in bulk (3kg bags) of store own brand.
Crisps, nuts, snacks etc I buy on offer (3 for 2).
The cartons of milk I get are own brand so relatively cheap.
Own brand sauces and tinned goods.
Bread is probably my most expensive item at £1.30 for a big loaf. But I only use it for toast in the morning so I freeze it as soon as I get home then put it into the toaster to defrost each morning. So no waste from that.
Even things like toilet roll I buy in bulk (£5 for 24 rolls I think).
So I rarely actually have to go shopping apart from to top up fruit n veg every few days.
Any luxuries also get bought in bulk in the sales. I bought over £100s worth of Lush products in their 50% off sale on Boxing Day...that's everyone's Xmas presents for the year sorted :-D xxx

Reactions: mary1