All things CronOmeter

10% or less fat is the basis of Dr Esselstyns diet for heart disease, only allowing something like a Tblsp of ground flax, and minimal walnuts as allowed fats
I did work with a man who completely reversed his quite severe heart disease (as in 2 emergency bypasses, stents...last rites) as well as diabetes 2. He used to say how much both ran in his family, but Esselstyn helped him regain his life--now a marathon runner!

• Love
Reactions: Emma JC and feather
True. but there is a lot of info you can get without comparing.
Maybe you are getting less sodium than before but maybe you are still getting too much.
or maybe you are gettin less protein than before but still getting enough.
I'm just saying that people who go plant based for health should be aware of what their omni diet was lacking, and where it was too high.
Cronometer doesn't differentiate between plant based vitamin and mineral intake either, which can be important with things like vitamin A, iron, whole plant sources of sugars

• Agree
Reactions: Lou and feather
Also CronOmeter can only measure what you intake. not what you absorb. So you probably need to know about the absorption issues of things like iron, calcium, and B12.
Maybe only regular check ups can evaluate those.

Reactions: feather
Testing for vitamins or minerals or their absorption issues.

We found Life Extension lab testing. This is outside of insurance and at a much lower cost out of pocket. They will not provide codes for the tests and they are extensive in their choices. Paid online, through LE, then an order is made to print out. Make an appointment at LabCorp (across the country in the US). (lab corp is found in looking for a lab on the LE website)The results are emailed to you and overseen by a doctor assigned, though he/she does nothing. Results are fast, in 3 days for us.

Start with a regular CBC, if all the numbers are spot on healthy, you won't need further testing for vitamin or mineral levels.
The CBC is huge and extensive, and less than $30 right now. (I have no financial interest in them. We use them for this test.)
These tests are approved by our previous cardiologist and our current doctor. Same as lab tests done in the doctors office but at a fraction of the price. In addition when you go to a doctor without all the data, they charge you for the visit, then order the lab tests, then you have to go back, paying for the visit, so cut out the extra visit unless you like visiting the doctor and spending money.

We've used this method and the CBC has been spot on, so we haven't tested anything further. I wouldn't hesitate to use them for further testing.

• Informative
Reactions: Lou
Nothing new but its nice to see additional confirmation.

According to the Dietary Reference Intake (DRI) established by the Institute of Medicine, the average adult should consume approximately 50 grams of protein per day if they're eating a 2,000-calorie diet. For the average person reading this, if you're consuming more than that recommendation, you're consuming the wrong amount of protein—too much of it. (Related: 7 Ways Eating Too Much Protein Can Harm Your Health.)​
Tina Marinaccio, MS, RD, CPT, an integrative culinary registered dietitian nutritionist with Health Dynamics, LLC, explains that, for people with an average level of physical activity, this translates to approximately 0.8 grams of protein per kilogram of bodyweight. For those who are very physically active, up to 2 grams of protein per kilogram of body weight may be required to support their lean body mass.​

I'm not sure they should have included that part about "up to 2 grams". I think this is where you need to change the thinking from grams to % of calories. If you are physically active - you need more calories - and thus you get more protein without even trying.

Reactions: Emma JC and feather
Cronometer has steadily been making improvements. Mostly to the app and mostly on the Gold (read paid) version.
I haven't been tracking my nutrients at all this year but I think its time for me to check them again. I've made some changes this year.
I'll report back in a while and let you know about the changes. But if anyone has been using it and wished to discuss ....

Reactions: PTree15
Errr.... having used it in ages but used to use it frequently ages ago. I have one of these grandfathered-in gold accounts when they where a one-time payment. I think I paid 34.95$ for it (less then 30€).

Reactions: Lou
From all the wfpb research I think the best info from tracking diet can be from prior to changing diet to plants
Seems so many start tracking after they switch to vegan and have complaints on macros--but from Dr Gregers, and others, nutrition from plants sources is assimilated very differently than from animals. Animals are living processors. Vitamin a, iron, protein,......are all very different sources when gotten from plants
How Not to Diet is an amazing book on human physiology
Why he recommends following the daily dozen of foods without tracking macros

and Whole by Colin Campbell

Reactions: PTree15 and Lou
Probably the same strategy with blood tests. we really need to test before going vegan to use as a base.
I think in one of the books by Gregar of Fuhrman its suggested.

I don't think that many people have the forethought.

but it probably doesn't matter that much. Except for maybe bragging rights.

Probably the same strategy with blood tests. we really need to test before going vegan to use as a base.
I think in one of the books by Gregar of Fuhrman its suggested.

I don't think that many people have the forethought.

but it probably doesn't matter that much. Except for maybe bragging rights.
I think it absolutely matters!
Far too many people go on plant based diets and track the macros on sites like this and complain how hard it is to meet them--esp things like calcium and iron.
>without knowing how your regular diet provided you have nothing to compare the plant based diet to
> nutrients from plants act differently and not always the same values
>what your body is able to USE from nutrients is largely dependent on your gut biome, which changes from an animal based diet to a plant based diet

Seriously, the book How Not to Diet by Greger is a fascinating read, and full of reference footnotes

• Informative
Reactions: Lou and PTree15
Good points. I hadn't thought about " people complaining". I was just thinking that people need to know.
You know what they say the first thing about solving problems is knowing you have one. Knowing you are not eating enough nutrients is the first step.
When I said bragging rights I was thinking, oh look I used to not get enough of this or that and now I am. Sort of the opposite of your people complaining.

It there still a cronometer app for iPhone? I click the link on their website and it just goes to a general App Store page. Can’t find it in the App Store either.

They did a pretty significant update on the app. Maybe they missed a link.
when you do a search look for Macro Tracker - Cronometer.
I just did an update and it worked great.

Reactions: Emma JC and tlc1976