All things CronOmeter

Lou

Forum Legend
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
If I had a nickel for every time I recommended CronOmeter to someone here in the forum

This month my main goal is to get my calorie consumption up, my weight up, etc. Which is exactly the opposite of how my goals have been.

I have been using CronOmeter for everything every day.

And I learned two new things this week.

1. I always thought that the "recipe feature" was an advanced feature that only Gold members had - and I was too cheap to pay for it.
This week I learned that no, anyone can make a recipe. This is so much better for people like me who do bulk food cooking. I also tend to make the same recipe over and over again. So you have a recipe - you plug in all the ingredients - estimate the number of servings and then just add a serving of the "recipe" to any day. If you take a lot of supplements you can just put them all in the recipes, too. The recipe even has a note feature - I have been thinking of organizing my recipes anyway and now I'm just going to put the directions in the notes.

2. There is an app that is $2.99. I am not sure what it does but I think you get if for free if you become a gold member. But there is another app that is free. I downloaded it and it now talks to Apple Health on my iPhone. Lots of data are saved from CronOmeter to Health. I'm still trying to make sense of most of it. The main thing is I think my calories burned will now come from Apple Health. I won't be able to check that out till tomorrow but I think that will be really cool.

Two more things I learned today.
I'm pretty sure that the only difference between the $2.99 app and the free one is that the $2.99 one does NOT have ads.
And yes my calories burned is affected by Apple Health. I went for a walk and tracked it with MapMyRun and the calories I burned on my walk got added to the "Base" calories in CronOmeter.

Reactions: Emma JC
I have found the app to be super helpful in keeping my food diary up to date. You can easily update your dairy while you cook or eat. The ads are bothersome but they only show up when you switch from one function to another and then only for 5 seconds.

Discovered a Bug and reported it to the Cronometer people.
If you use Apple Health and the Cronometer App, your activities get counted twice.
The Cronometer people are aware of this and are working on it. I will let you know if it gets resolved.

As long as I'm here, I have been finding the recipe feature even more useful. For instance most mornings i have hot oatmeal. My oatmeal usually has oats, flaxseed, and soymilk. So you make a recipe for it once. and then its just one click instead of three to add it. You can always add the fruit separately. I did the same thing for the other things that I regularly eat.

The other feature I discovered is that you can copy an item (or multiple items) and copy them from one day to another day. The copy and paste commands are under the three dots on the top right hand side of the web site. In the app, you click on the food and swipe right.

• Informative
Ha! sometimes my level of denseness surprises even me. So the issue with the double reporting of Apple health Activities - Just delete one.

• Haha
Hi @Lou, thanks for recommending Cronometer to me in my other thread. I never thought I would use an app like this, but it's really interesting and to be honest - fun. From day 1 it's been an eye opener for things I already knew deep down: not enough vitamin C or D, and too much salt. I'll take stock of all the values after a week or so.

One question about protein. After 3 days I only meet about 50% of my overall protein, but the amino acids are well balanced and close enough to 100%.

This is more about nutrition than the app, but how would you (or anyone) interpret a shortfall in protein, but okay amino acids? How big a problem?

BTW my overall protein was down mostly due to calorie deficit on some very active days. I don't expect that to continue.

• Friendly
Reactions: Lou and Emma JC
I've just used the cronometer.com on my laptop now for 2 years+. I really like it for adjusting my expectations of what I eat and if I get enough nutrition.

Immediately below Macronutrient Targets, click on the Protein amount, and you can adjust your protein target. Mine says I should get 46 grams daily recommended target, but I put mine at 40 grams with an upper threshold of 50 grams. At my weight, with my goal of %calories from 10fat/10protein/80carbs, 40 grams of protein are 160 calories, or 10% of a 1600 calorie diet. I'm currently at a maintenance diet for about a year now.

This is more about nutrition than the app, but how would you (or anyone) interpret a shortfall in protein, but okay amino acids? How big a problem?

I had the same issue. And I'm pretty sure it is because I increased my protein requirements.
I even asked my RD about this and she never checked with CronOmeter but her guess was that you might change your protein requirements in the app and then not meet them but the app calculates your AA requirements based on biology (ht, wt, age, gender, etc. )

And if you are not meeting your AA targets take that with a grain of salt. CronOmeter only knows the AA for most foods. If you are eating a processed food it might not know the AA and then it doesn't get worked into the calculations. If you're eating clean - this may not even be an issue.

This segues nicely into two topics. One a cronometer issue and one a straight up nutrition issue.

1. I think people would be best advised not to mess with the targets. Unless you really know what your are doing and then only if you have some sort of special needs. *

2. Also from my own personal experience and some reading I've concluded that a lot of people over estimate their protein requirements. I think a lot of this is due to advertising (brain washing) by the supplement industry and the food companies (mostly livestock and dairy). **my best advice is just to use the default that CronOmeter comes up with after you set up your profile. If you have doubts you can check out any number of protein calculators that they have on the web or use one of the formulas that are Dr. recommended.

* if you were paying attention you may think you spotted an inconsistency or maybe even hypocrisy on my part. First I'm saying that you should change NOT change your targets, and then I admit to doing so. but I did so with the guidance of a RD and I had a RD because I was very sick ( I lost 30 pounds in 2 months) . I'm better now (thank you). and I've reset all my goals to regular person ones.

one special need that some people have is that they are trying to gain or lose weight. but CronOmeter can take care of that for you in the Settings > Target controls.

I think a better alternative to fixed targets is to use MacroNutrient Ratios instead. The default is 20/60/20 (PCF). IMHO this is even a good target for athletes. The more calories you burn, the higher your calorie requirement becomes and then your protein requirement goes up accordingly. The Zone diet which was specifically designed for athletes (Stanford swim team) uses 30/40/30. A ratio of 25/50/25 would probably be good for regular athletes, too. Again, I think the 20/60/20 one is best. Its also pretty easy on a healthy vegan diet.

** You should hear me at the gym arguing with the muscle heads. I can't tell you how often they talk about protein goals of over 1 g of protein per pound of body weight. (1 g/kg is almost reasonable).

Reactions: Daxx and feather
Good information.
The hazard of too much protein is that the kidneys need to filter it out. This puts stress on the kidneys which over a lifetime can lead to kidney failure, which is on the increase. The constant moan of the media is to eat more protein and they never mention the hazard part.

I can't agree with the part about only changing the targets or ratios if you consult with an MD in the US. (that's not what you said, you said RD) Most doctors don't get much education on nutrition and some say all sorts of silliness. It's not their area of specialty, unless they are a doctor who's studied nutrition. It's really the patient's responsibility to learn about their nutrition, or consult a nutritionist. If you take the power out of the control of the person and leave it to an MD, then you are at the mercy of their education which isn't centered on nutrition. All you need to do is ask your MD if they have any training in nutrition.

I'm glad @Lou that your are on the mend from what sickness you had.
Most people won't or don't or can't take an hour a day or 3 a day learning about nutrition, but many can benefit from learning about it.

Last edited:
Good information.
The hazard of too much protein is that the kidneys need to filter it out. This puts stress on the kidneys which over a lifetime can lead to kidney failure, which is on the increase. The constant moan of the media is to eat more protein and they never mention the hazard part.

Yes. there was some muscle builder guy who died of kidney failure. Its been attributed to his high protein diet.
Some new info that isn't quite up to the proven point but some good evidence supports it is that we can only absorb or utilize 20 - 30 g of protein per meal. Those guys taking over a hundred grams of protein per day are wasting their money or damaging their kidneys (or both).
I can't agree with the part about only changing the targets or ratios if you consult with an MD in the US. (that's not what you said, you said RD)
Wait, you can't agree with something I Didn't say. :)

Most doctors don't get much education on nutrition and some say all sorts of silliness. It's not their area of specialty, unless they are a doctor who's studied nutrition. It's really the patient's responsibility to learn about their nutrition, or consult a nutritionist. If you take the power out of the control of the person and leave it to an MD, then you are at the mercy of their education which isn't centered on nutrition. All you need to do is ask your MD if they have any training in nutrition.
Yes. I agree with you on that. Most doctors do only spend about 30 hours in a nutrition class. Thats exactly why my doctor sent me to an RD for advice.

also try to be careful about replacing the title Dietican with Nutritionist. There is an important difference in most American states. Not so sure about other English speaking countries. However, I've noticed that the media often uses the words interchangeably. but that doesn't make it right. it just makes it more confusing.

Here in California anyone can call themselves a Nutrionist. A Registered Dietician is liscenced by the state. They have a governing body. They have accredited course work, they have to complete more education on a regular basis. Very much like an RN.

Reactions: feather
I've just used the cronometer.com on my laptop now for 2 years+. I really like it for adjusting my expectations of what I eat and if I get enough nutrition.

Immediately below Macronutrient Targets, click on the Protein amount, and you can adjust your protein target. Mine says I should get 46 grams daily recommended target, but I put mine at 40 grams with an upper threshold of 50 grams. At my weight, with my goal of %calories from 10fat/10protein/80carbs, 40 grams of protein are 160 calories, or 10% of a 1600 calorie diet. I'm currently at a maintenance diet for about a year now.
10/80/10 is what a raw vegan's goals are.
For most people, 40 grams of protein is an absolute minimum.
I tried that once and found the 10 % fat to be impossible. Even 20% I find challenging.

People should truly track their diet prior to changing, or they have nothing to compare!
True. but there is a lot of info you can get without comparing.
Maybe you are getting less sodium than before but maybe you are still getting too much.
or maybe you are gettin less protein than before but still getting enough.

10/80/10 is what a raw vegan's goals are.
For most people, 40 grams of protein is an absolute minimum.
I tried that once and found the 10 % fat to be impossible. Even 20% I find challenging.
I'm not a raw vegan. I find I get way more protein than I want. I eat very clean and yesterday's final protein count was 63 grams. So I'm well over my protein amounts, without trying.

10% fat is nearly impossible. It's a goal but not easily met, so I give myself some grace. There is flax and chia, which are my biggest opposition to getting the fat number down but I know I need it. I see some vegan weight loss experts say to reduce it. So I limited my flax/chia meal to 1 T. (instead of 2) And now I'm not in weight loss mode, just maintenance, so I have 2 T of it. For comparison, I went to Brenda Davis's information and she recommends 20-25% for healthy nutrition as a vegan. It's a journey!

In the weight loss mode, we removed the higher fat plant foods (our situation was dire in trying to remove ourselves from risk). Tofu, avocados, nuts, nut butters, seeds, seed butters, olives. I feel like I may have forgotten some of them. We aimed for low calorie density, and kept up volume.

Cheers. I'm learning. Apart from setting a caffeine limit, I haven't changed any variables. I assumed the calculated values would be better than anything I could come up with, at this stage. I'm lanky, about 6ft, getting ~80g protein per day, in a disappointing ratio (PCF 13/57/30 yesterday).

Exercise is tricky one to judge, and it has a significant effect on the data. For example, at the moment, due to circumstances, I'm walking 4.2 miles to work and 4.2 miles back each day, and I'm on my feet most of the day. It takes me almost exactly an hour to walk the 4.2 miles, so I've called that hard, but I wonder if moderate should be better.

This is a great discovery anyway. The challenge is trying not to gamifying it too much...

Now if you'll excuse me - my selenium's down - quick! I must eat a brazil nut before midnight!

I went to Brenda Davis's information and she recommends 20-25% for healthy nutrition as a vegan. It's a journey!

20 - 25 % what?
I guess it doesn't matter. 20 - 25 % fat and/or protein are both good goals.

Reading your posts warms my little nutritionist's heart. Its great hearing from some so mindful.

Reactions: feather and Emma JC
20 - 25 % what?
I guess it doesn't matter. 20 - 25 % fat and/or protein are both good goals.

Reading your posts warms my little nutritionist's heart. Its great hearing from some so mindful.
Oh sorry (AGAIN), that fat at 10% may be a good goal but 20-25% is more realistic and healthy (thinking of brain health) for a healthy person (w/o risk of heart disease or high blood pressure).

You have been here quite a while. Can I ask you a question about this forum's focus of talk?

Reactions: Lou
Cheers. I'm learning. Apart from setting a caffeine limit, I haven't changed any variables. I assumed the calculated values would be better than anything I could come up with, at this stage. I'm lanky, about 6ft, getting ~80g protein per day, in a disappointing ratio (PCF 13/57/30 yesterday).

Not That bad.
Just rough mental math calculations but I'm think you just need to add 10 g of protein and subtract 10 g of fat.
one of the ways I used to use cronometer was with meal planning. I would set up a days worth of meals that met my targets.
and I also made it like a game. mostly pats on my back but I always felt good about hitting the targets.
My challenge was meeting my RDs goal of protein and calories which were much higher than I was used to.
I would review my CronOmeter after dinner and add a snack (usually a protein smoothie) so that I hit my targets.

Exercise is tricky one to judge, and it has a significant effect on the data. For example, at the moment, due to circumstances, I'm walking 4.2 miles to work and 4.2 miles back each day, and I'm on my feet most of the day. It takes me almost exactly an hour to walk the 4.2 miles, so I've called that hard, but I wonder if moderate should be better.

This is a great discovery anyway. The challenge is trying not to gamifying it too much...

Now if you'll excuse me - my selenium's down - quick! I must eat a brazil nut before midnight!

I think you can continue using the "hard" as your exercise level.

Another cool thing is that Chronometer can hook up to a variety of devices or apps, taking out a lot of the guesswork. use one of the devices in the settings > devices. I just use my iPhone and the app RunKeeper. You don't really need any other device to plug Cronometer into your smart phone. However you'll have to turn on the Cronometer app everyday.

and kudos to you for walking to work!

Oh sorry (AGAIN), that fat at 10% may be a good goal but 20-25% is more realistic and healthy (thinking of brain health) for a healthy person (w/o risk of heart disease or high blood pressure).

You have been here quite a while. Can I ask you a question about this forum's focus of talk?
Of course. I'll send you a private msg.