Vegan Miyokos Buffalo Style mozzarella

silva

Forum Legend
Reaction score
I've been making soy yogurt in the Instant Pot for some time, so I had no excuse not to try this. You can use any kind of non dairy yogurt as long as it contains cultures.

Easy Buffalo Mozzarella (adapted from Miyoko’s recipe in VegNews)

1 cup plain, unsweetened soy yogurt

1 cup raw cashews, soaked in water for 3 – 8 hours and drained

1 cup water, divided

1 1/2 teaspoons sea salt

3 tablespoons tapioca flour

1 tablespoon agar powder

Combine the yogurt, cashews, a half cup of the water, and salt in a blender and process until emulsified. Transfer to a container, cover loosely, and set aside for 12 to 24 hours until slightly tangy. Whisk in the tapioca flour.

Combine the agar and remaining half cup of water in a small saucepan. Whisk together. Cover with a lid and bring to a boil. Simmer for 3 to 4 minutes. Pour in the yogurt mixture and mix well with a whisk. Continue cooking over medium heat, stirring with a wooden spoon, until the mixture is smooth, glossy, and stretchy.

Prepare a large bowl of ice water. Using an ice cream scooper, drop balls of the cheese into the ice bath. Let sit for 20 to 30 minutes until firm.

• Informative
Reactions: Lou and Blues
I used this agar, I find it by the register at the Asian grocery. I forget what I paid, but I can't find it online at a decent price! I'll come back to tell you next time I go there. It contains 25 grams.
1595785865701.png

Reactions: KLS52
why is it called "buffalo"?
"Buffalo Mozzarella is a traditionally southern Italian mozzarella cheese made from the milk of the domestic water buffalo rather than from cow's milk. ... Mozzarella is the diminutive form of the verb 'mozzare', which means 'to cut off' derived from the Neapolitan dialect spoken in Campania in southern Italy"
Not sure that matters here :shrug:

• Friendly
Reactions: Lou and KLS52
I was wondering the same thing about the Buffalo and was worried it was going to be spicy or something like buffalo wings or cauliflower lol. I’m glad it’s not.

Reactions: Lou
I just these again, letting them culture a bit longer, and using 1.25 teasp seasalt rather than 1.5. They have a stronger mozz taste to me now, I'd say the best sub for dairy mozzerella I've had yet! No shreds have been good, except FYH parm shreds-those are good, but don't remind me of pizza or lasagna cheese-this does.
I added some pizza seasoning to some of the last half.
I made pepperoni seitan yesterday, and will make some pizza! This isn't supposed to be melty, but the cheese will be under the sauce and topping
It is an easy recipe (esp if you make your own yogurt, but I think Silk plain would be fine)

Tweaked this some more--I make at least every two weeks

Soak 1 cup raw cashews in hot water, then blend with high speed blender with 1/3 cup water, scraping down, till smooth. If it's warm wait a bit before adding:
1 cup unsweetened soy yogurt.
2 Tblsp melted refined coconut oil
Blend to combine and put in glass bowl with a mesh cover. Let sit for up to 24 hours to culture

Add 1.5 teasp sea salt
3 rounded Tblsp tapioca starch and wisk well
add 1 Tblsp agar to 1/2 cup water and simmer covered about 2 minutes, then incrementally add the cashew/yogurt mixture, mixing well. Stir over heat until it gets thick and starts to pull away from sides of pan. Pour into the glass bowl it was in that you coated with olive oil.
Chill

I've been making soy yogurt in the Instant Pot for some time, so I had no excuse not to try this. You can use any kind of non dairy yogurt as long as it contains cultures.

Easy Buffalo Mozzarella (adapted from Miyoko’s recipe in VegNews)

1 cup plain, unsweetened soy yogurt

1 cup raw cashews, soaked in water for 3 – 8 hours and drained

1 cup water, divided

1 1/2 teaspoons sea salt

3 tablespoons tapioca flour

1 tablespoon agar powder

Combine the yogurt, cashews, a half cup of the water, and salt in a blender and process until emulsified. Transfer to a container, cover loosely, and set aside for 12 to 24 hours until slightly tangy. Whisk in the tapioca flour.

Combine the agar and remaining half cup of water in a small saucepan. Whisk together. Cover with a lid and bring to a boil. Simmer for 3 to 4 minutes. Pour in the yogurt mixture and mix well with a whisk. Continue cooking over medium heat, stirring with a wooden spoon, until the mixture is smooth, glossy, and stretchy.

Prepare a large bowl of ice water. Using an ice cream scooper, drop balls of the cheese into the ice bath. Let sit for 20 to 30 minutes until firm.

Do you refrigerate it or leave it out overnight?

Do you refrigerate it or leave it out overnight?
Depending on kitchen temp- I'll leave the bowl covered in cheesecloth on counter in summer, in winter I use my Instant Pot on the low yogurt setting which is between 86 and 93F

I also just culture the blended cashews and yogurt in a cheesecloth lined sieve for like a creme cheese. I don't know how this compares to any creme cheese, but it's a nice thick spread easily seasoned. I love to add za'tar

• Informative