Health Issues Meditation

Trinity, like everything ... its a journey, but i have a glimpse of inner peace and I am going for it... works if you work it .....

lets keep at it and finding that calm and serene feeling within ourselves...
It really does, Kasandra. I've been meditating for many years, and it's amazing the benefits I've gleaned. When I have a busy time and slack off on the meditating, I feel it in how the rest of my life is going.
Peace. :)

Reactions: Trinity
I've practiced meditation for many years, although I've neglected it a bit recently.

I sit in a comfy chair or couch, go through some simple relaxation techniques (tensing then relaxing each muscle group individually), then some rhythmic breathing followed by about five minutes of total silence letting my mind be free of thought.

The whole thing takes about 10 minutes and one of the fringe benefits is that the last five minutes seems to last a long time. It's more difficult to free your mind of thoughts than most people realize. But then, throughout the day when I start to feel rushed or stressed, I remind myself that I have plenty of time because five minutes is a really long time!

If you haven't tried it, don't be intimidated. There are some really simple techniques to get you started; you don't have to follow a complex routine or have special accessories or positions. And I have experienced benefits with even just 5-10 minutes a day. But once you experience the benefits, you'll probably want to do it more frequently or longer. It's a great way to fill up those 5 or 10 minute gaps in your day between activities, such as waiting in the doctor's office, for example.

Reactions: ledboots
I'm starting mindful meditation because studies show it might be helpful with anxiety, so far just with info online and a few guided meditation mp3s. I definitely feel like it helps me calm down, if only for a while. I think mindful meditation is nice because it's okay if your mind wanders/etc... it's not about breathing a certain way, doing a certain thing, thinking about a certain thing... but being aware and in control of what you're thinking:shrug:.

There's multi-faith prayer rooms around my uni so it's nice to go there and meditate if I have a full-on day. But I'm completely non-religious/spiritual/etc so my aim is purely to improve my anxiety/etc.

Reactions: ledboots
There are a couple of good guided meditations on the Insight Timer app - which is very helpful if you like to time your sessions.

I practice Zen meditation, although I haven't been as consistent as I was before we moved last year. The idea is to be able to sit in acceptance - "sit like a mountain". Quieting the mind by focusing on the breath is a simple way to start, but it's not easy. It's funny how the mind attaches to thoughts and the the next thing you know you're not aware of breathing in or out, but reliving a conversation you had earlier in the day. :rolleyes:

To really benefit from meditation, it helps to have a consistent practice.

Reactions: ledboots and KLS52
Yes thanks going to have a look at mp3 i practice meditation morning and lunch time when i give yoga @ work. My mind long for those moments of calmness.

Not a goid idea.to do when driving.zonked out the one day :p