Health Issues Meditation

sequoia

Forum Senior
Reaction score
I'm sorry if there is already a thread for this, or if this is in the wrong subforum, but I figured that I can't be the only one who meditates.

Share any techniques, insights, or inspiration you want to :)

I started seriously mediating about a month ago and I can honestly say that my quality of life has greatly improved. I love it.

Reactions: Freesia
I did it for a few months a few years ago. I would like to do it again at some point. It is pretty cool and there are many different ways and types. I like to put on music.

Reactions: sequoia
I don't meditate in the conventional 'sit on a mat and AUM yer heart out' sense.

According to Thich Nhat Hanh anything on which you concentrate on single mindedly (total mindfullness of what you actualy doing at any given point in time, basicaly) constitutes a meditational practice.

Could be anything, walking, washing up, eating a bowl of soup, concentrating on your breathing in traffic jams or post office queues, whatever ...

Seems to work and has the benefit of being a form of meditation that is easy to engage in for very busy people. :zen:

I meditate every morning, the on a cushion tm type. I also do the mindful thinking meditation while I cook a lot of times, and I do walking meditations when I take my walks. I discovered meditation in my teens in the 1970s, and it has been part of my life in many ways since then.

Reactions: sequoia
I think it can depend on your brain type. For many people they can go into a sort of flow state if they focus on something. For me though, focusing makes my mind feel more stressed. So I like to sort of do the opposite and drift off.

I started going to this amazing meditation class on Monday nights. This really neat guy plays crystal bowls that are each associated with a chakra. You lay there for an hour and just feel the vibrations and it is so blissful and you leave feeling radiant.

Ledboots I'd like to hear more about walking meditation. I've heard people talk about it before but I don't really know how to go about it.

I started going to this amazing meditation class on Monday nights. This really neat guy plays crystal bowls that are each associated with a chakra. You lay there for an hour and just feel the vibrations and it is so blissful and you leave feeling radiant.

Ledboots I'd like to hear more about walking meditation. I've heard people talk about it before but I don't really know how to go about it.
That sounds fantastic. My daughter introduced me to walking meditation, as she is one who likes to be moving around. There are different kinds of walking meditations. One is mindfully walking, feeling the wind on your face, hearing the tiny crunch of sand under your shoe, seeing a little yellow blossum on a weed by the sidewalk.

My favorite kind of walking meditation is metta bhavana, loving kindness. As you walk, you kind of radiate good will to everything. Of course you are doing good breathing while walking.

Like this describes
http://www.wildmind.org/walking/metta
http://www.dhammatalks.net/Books2/Thich_Nhat_Hanh_A_Guide_to_Walking_Meditation.htm

Reactions: KLS52 and sequoia
Since I already walk, I would like to learn more about walking meditation. Cool links.

Reactions: ledboots
I certainly would like to try to learn how to meditate. Any links for dummies ?:D
The second link on this page, complete meditation instructions, is a guided meditation that explains it as you practice. Q http://marc.ucla.edu/body.cfm?id=22

There are some guided meditations online that have a relaxing video with them, like of waves on the beach, if you like visuals too. :)

Last edited:
The second link on this page, complete meditation instructions, is a guided meditation that explains it as you practice. Q http://marc.ucla.edu/body.cfm?id=22

There are some guided meditations online that have a relaxing video with them, like of waves on the beach, if you like visuals too. :)

I certainly will have a look at the link once I get over my awful jetlag. :thanks:

Hiya, I guide workshops which include meditation and movement and have noticed that people tend to resonate with different types of meditation. For me there is no right or wrong way of doing it, but it's a case of finding what really works for you as an individual. It can happen whilst walking in the woods, washing the laundry, swimming in the ocean, dancing, singing, chopping wood, surfing, running, sitting in a busy airport waiting for your plane…

It’s a really just a state of being. It’s about presence .
It’ about being here right now in this moment.
If we reserve it purely for sitting quietly in isolation then we are missing something important. It’s about the whole and complete, unbridled ‘allness’ of life. Although there is certainly value in sitting in silence. If I afford myself even just a little time each day for silent meditation (what a luxury!) I feel incredibly nourished. It seems to rebalance any misaligned energies and re-attune me to the divine flow.

Guided Meditation: The main benefit I see of guided meditation is that it can take us on a deeper journey than we would go on our own. With certain meditation guidance, we might venture to the places in our inner world that we might not have even realised were there, with boundless potential to let go and move through our blockages and stress.

Moving Mediation: I haven’t yet met anyone who doesn’t love moving meditation in one form or another. It is possible that you may be doing moving meditation without even knowing it. It can involve anything from Tai-Chi, yoga, dancing to running or walking (as mentioned in the post above). It can be a set practice or a spontaneous flow. I am really into flowing, however my body wants to move.

The powerful thing about movement is that it can quickly break down and release stored energy in the system. It is a great way of cleansing, rejuvenating or getting us out of a rut. Daily conscious movement is a powerful way to honour and respect our own human vehicle, keeping the physical in good shape. I see people transformed all the time through conscious movement.

The wonderful thing is that those who struggle with sitting in stillness or listening to guidance will almost always find benefit in movement.

Music: This is an area well worth exploring. I am really getting into this at the moment too. I recently started playing crystal singing bowls and everyone goes crazy for them - feels like nothing else quite cuts it! Music and sound can be used as a form of meditation that rapidly transcends the intellectual plane (hurahhh!!). Like the voice, sound is use as a vehicle to carry us through the layers into a transcendental state. I prefer more natural instruments such as the drum, Native American flute, didgeridoo or the angelic sounding soprano voice. There is something that stirs everyone, whether we make music ourselves or lay back and allow the melodic sounds of another to permeate our being. Conscious music can be highly transformative.

Everyday Life: If none of the above resonate, then this is the ‘no-get-out’ clause. This is the one we all can do. Anytime. Anywhere. This is where we are given to allow every moment to become our meditation. It is our opportunity to allow pure presence to resound through our daily lives no matter what we do. So whether we are doing the dishes, brushing our teeth, looking after the children, healing a broken leg… make it a meditation. Look for the ‘ true-you’ in it the moment and BE it.

Anyway - meditation really is my thing, so I was really pleased to see the subject here.
Trinity
x

I have a small meditation corner. I meditate almost every morning and then again every night after H goes to sleep. Keeps me centered and from going insane!

This is so cool. I really do know how much this can make a difference to sanity! I made myself a cushion after downloading a pattern from the internet. It felt so rewarding. Will have to see if I can find that pattern.

Everyday Life: If none of the above resonate, then this is the ‘no-get-out’ clause. This is the one we all can do. Anytime. Anywhere. This is where we are given to allow every moment to become our meditation. It is our opportunity to allow pure presence to resound through our daily lives no matter what we do. So whether we are doing the dishes, brushing our teeth, looking after the children, healing a broken leg… make it a meditation. Look for the ‘ true-you’ in it the moment and BE it.

Trinity
x
I like this idea as I am quite hyper/anxious and find sitting still difficult.
I also like the moving (especially walking) and music meditation.
:)

i have a lot going on at the moment and my anxiety peeks. I have now put things in place to calm myself down, breathing really helps esp when anxiety hits and tilting my eyes slightly upwards.

My morning starts at 05:00 - I do a yoga session which is followed by lunar meditation and shavasana's which give me the time to meditate.

Been reading The Art of Happiness which really also gave me great ideas for meditation...

Focus of meditation being kindness and compassion....

The other thing I do to ground myself is after my activities at home after work, I take a long bath in mustard magnesium and ginger powder, i then again meditate focusing on my breathing... afterwards using essential oils of lavender mandarin and sage to just calm myself further.

I have given up caffeine.

I do find that practice makes perfect as when meditating I find my mind trying to jump all over the place, but then I just bring myself back to focus on my breathing.

Hi Kasandra,

It's wonderful to hear that you are using meditation to help you through tough times. I know it can make the world of difference.
It's funny you mention it, but I find myself naturally tilting my head upwards when I am letting go in the midst of feeling stressed. It feels as if it realigns me somehow and fills my third eye with an infusion of uplifting and calm energy that spreads through my whole body.

I do find that practice makes perfect as when meditating I find my mind trying to jump all over the place, but then I just bring myself back to focus on my breathing.

Focusing on breath is great. I find that helps too. Another thing might be to 'not need your thoughts to go away'. Most people find that the more they try to get rid of thoughts actually makes it worse. I find if I accept them, they naturally fall away.

Sounds like you are doing great.

x