Meat cravings

Alex_M

Newcomer
Reaction score
How do you all handle meat cravings? Does anyone have any ideas what they're all about. There's the usual thinking about some missing nutrients or something like that, but overall a plant-based diet is much more nutritious. I'm sure I could Google it, and probably will still, but real people are better.

I've had it for about a month now, and my mouth actually starts watering at the thought of meat sometimes. I've been doing a lot of veggie burgers, upping my protein, etc. but it's still lingering pretty good. What do folks think?

How do you all handle meat cravings? Does anyone have any ideas what they're all about. There's the usual thinking about some missing nutrients or something like that, but overall a plant-based diet is much more nutritious. I'm sure I could Google it, and probably will still, but real people are better.

I've had it for about a month now, and my mouth actually starts watering at the thought of meat sometimes. I've been doing a lot of veggie burgers, upping my protein, etc. but it's still lingering pretty good. What do folks think?
Alex, I hear you. I had them too. The best solution I ever came up with was good old BBQ sauce on things like cubes of tofu, black bean patties, and even veggie burgers. While it isn't meat, it sure reminds my mouth of meat. Give it a try,

How do you all handle meat cravings?
I like casserole style cooking and it's easy to do yourself. Curries, spag bol, goulash, chilli sin carne etc. Make them with quorn or TVP or lots of beans and make the sauce strong and with LOTS of veggies. Always cook for at least 6 and freeze most of it. Buy a slow cooker if your cooking skills are zero. You won't know it's not meat. Always eat plenty, the calories and fat content of these dishes is never high. Pasta dishes are good too and melanzane parmigiana is to die for if you can find good vegan cheese: again it is actually better than meat and so addictive.
Start your meal with a salad and end with good dessert with or without fruit as the last course. That way you are eating really healthy stuff and will never be hungry.

Reactions: Alex_M
How do you all handle meat cravings?

Hi Alex,

The wording of your question seems to imply that vegans are missing out on something and are all suffering from yearnings that meat eaters can make self-justifying hilarious comments about!

I think the opposite is true. Most vegans turn their heads to avoid looking into a butcher’s shop window. And a meal out is more than somewhat less enjoyable if the table is being shared with someone who has a large piece of cow on his plate. And a beautiful summer’s evening can be marred by the smell of the neighbour’s barbecue wafting in the breeze.

Two thoughts come to mind. One is that language is very important. If we vegans regularly used the word “flesh” instead of “meat” it might have a much greater impact in perceptions.

The other is a quote from Gary Francione: “Veganism is not a sacrifice. It is a joy.”

Keep smiling,

Roger.

The wording of your question seems to imply that vegans are missing out on something and are all suffering from yearnings that meat eaters can make self-justifying hilarious comments about!
I think you are being a bit harsh on Alex, Roger. I think that, if you have been vegetarian or vegan for quite a long time, what you say is true. But I remember the early days of my vegetarian-vegan journey and at that time I still loved the smell of bacon frying when I was camping. I would never have eaten the bacon but I did allow my dogs to have some of some other campers' bacon and sausage when I was offered it. The bacon would otherwise have been thrown away!
Like you I now find the meat aisle in the supermarket a very uncomfortable place. I have been able to substitute olives for bacon and good quality coffee is now my favourite smell in the morning, even though I prefer a cup of tea first. Freshly baked bread is also an excellent smell in the morning or at any time really. It helps the new vegan if s/he can identify these substitute smells and tastes and savour them. A new vegan is only able to fully appreciate the good things in the vegan kitchen when s/he has acquired a good repertoire of tasty new treats to choose from.
Alex, if you once smoked cigarettes, you will remember how good they smelled then. Now it would make you feel sick if someone lit up beside you. The same thing happens with meat smells.

Reactions: Plant Muncher
Alex, I hear you. I had them too. The best solution I ever came up with was good old BBQ sauce on things like cubes of tofu, black bean patties, and even veggie burgers. While it isn't meat, it sure reminds my mouth of meat. Give it a try,
Thanks. I actually bought some barbecued flavored veggie burgers. I haven't opened them yet, but I'm on that track! :)

Hi Alex,

I think the opposite is true. Most vegans turn their heads to avoid looking into a butcher’s shop window. And a meal out is more than somewhat less enjoyable if the table is being shared with someone who has a large piece of cow on his plate. And a beautiful summer’s evening can be marred by the smell of the neighbour’s barbecue wafting in the breeze.

Two thoughts come to mind. One is that language is very important. If we vegans regularly used the word “flesh” instead of “meat” it might have a much greater impact in perceptions.

The other is a quote from Gary Francione: “Veganism is not a sacrifice. It is a joy.”

Keep smiling,

Roger.

Hi Roger, you might've mis-perceived the feeling in my post. It actually wasn't my intention to communicate the way it might've come across. I agree with everything you say 100% and pretty much all of it has been my own experience. I actually even pointed out that a plant-based diet is more nutritious. ...Smiling!

Thanks. I actually bought some barbecued flavored veggie burgers. I haven't opened them yet, but I'm on that track! :)
I don't have those craving much anymore but the smell of something cooking can set them off again.

Our bodies crave salt and fat for sure, and something like a ribeye steak would meet those requirements. I used to eat 1.5-2# of meat per day, but I honestly haven't had too many cravings for it. I have really been digging Upton's Seitan. It actually has more protein per oz than meat. It tastes pretty good too.

I crave meat sometimes but I've found vegan alternatives to what I'm craving. I make philly cheese steak with tofurky roast seitan and daiya cheese. For salt I've taken to olives that takes away the craving for sardines. Gardein beefless tips takes away beef cravings. Sometimes I just ignore them though if we don't have the extra money for seitan.

I have never missed meat or eggs, dairy was fine as long I didn't think about calves, which became impossible. Honey was the last animal product I gave up, and sometimes I do miss it, but not as much as I thought I would.

When I get meat cravings I usually prepare some soy cubes / soy chunks. If it is spiced like a meat or made like a stew it quite has a "meat like" feeling. Though I do not consume much soy because it is said not to be so good for health.

In the beginning it was a bit challenging but now I don't crave anything outside my plant base diet. Even the smell of cooked flesh is a bit repulsive to me. I don't think of it as food anymore which has helped me move on from my old eating habit.

Our bodies crave salt and fat for sure, and something like a ribeye steak would meet those requirements. I used to eat 1.5-2# of meat per day, but I honestly haven't had too many cravings for it. I have really been digging Upton's Seitan. It actually has more protein per oz than meat. It tastes pretty good too.
Yeah, it's probably a nutrient thing. I just wish there was a way to find out exactly what. Seitan is a great idea. I think I would actually really love it but I'm gluten intolerant and it's made of nothing but.

When I get meat cravings I usually prepare some soy cubes / soy chunks. If it is spiced like a meat or made like a stew it quite has a "meat like" feeling. Though I do not consume much soy because it is said not to be so good for health.
Yes, soy is said to not be a super great thing to eat in big quantities. When I buy tofu now I buy the sprouted kind. I guess it just started showing up in the stores at some point. Apparently fermented soy is also easier to digest, but I guess that's not the only problem with it. I've never been quite clear if tofu is fermented or not.

In the beginning it was a bit challenging but now I don't crave anything outside my plant base diet. Even the smell of cooked flesh is a bit repulsive to me. I don't think of it as food anymore which has helped me move on from my old eating habit.
Yes, usually quite repulsive to me too. Even when I have a craving really. More of a physiological craving than anything.