May Health Challenge (2016)

Status
Not open for further replies.
So funny as I was thinking about pedometers when I woke up this morning, I have heard that they often don't record your steps properly.
We tested them at work, 6 of us each wore two pedometers (3 different brands altogether) for our 12 hour shifts, and none of the numbers were anywhere close. One of mine said 12,000 and the other 8,000. All six of us had the same experience. So our unscientific but convincing study conclusion: pedometers suck. [emoji6]

KLS, walking for 40 to 50 minutes is awesome. I'm sure you got plenty of steps in.
I did the 5k route at work this morning with my walking buddy. It was pretty hot this morning, but I wasn't complaining. The sun felt good. I'm taking a light stroll after work with another colleague to check out some flowers at a park that's only 15 minutes from work. :)

I walked 76 minutes so far today and I am already over 10,000. :)

I did 36 minutes before work...it was such a beautiful morning. Then ten minutes on my break and another 30 at lunchtime. That last walk did me in though...it's wicked hot. I'm done for the day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Welp, I'm dying.

Today I did my first CrossFit session. The hardest work out I've ever done in my life, no contest. Even the warm-up was pretty hard (running, stretching, lunging, kettlebell swings), and by the time we got through the main thing (half an hour of kettlebell lunges, cleans, pushes, and walks) I was about ready to collapse forever. Then the finisher involved planks and wall sits and a resistance bike! I'm so sore and tired, but it felt SO GOOD. I'm definitely going to go back - I liked that everyone was doing the same thing, just with different weights/reps, and everyone was struggling the same amount because it's designed to push you as hard as possible.

Also I've been smashing my protein goals this week, and I've done two sessions of skating.

You rock, Aery!

Welp, I'm dying.

Today I did my first CrossFit session. The hardest work out I've ever done in my life, no contest. Even the warm-up was pretty hard (running, stretching, lunging, kettlebell swings), and by the time we got through the main thing (half an hour of kettlebell lunges, cleans, pushes, and walks) I was about ready to collapse forever. Then the finisher involved planks and wall sits and a resistance bike! I'm so sore and tired, but it felt SO GOOD. I'm definitely going to go back - I liked that everyone was doing the same thing, just with different weights/reps, and everyone was struggling the same amount because it's designed to push you as hard as possible.

Also I've been smashing my protein goals this week, and I've done two sessions of skating.
You are awesome, AF! Let us know when you're entering the triathlon, because you will be fit enough to do so!

Jeremy and I have started on a plan to lose weight by tracking all our food and staying under a calorie limit. Jeremy is doing very well and has already lost almost 10 pounds in 2 weeks. I do not have as much to lose and I have lost about 2 pounds. Monday is my "weigh in" day. We have not been doing any exercise though and I know we need to. I was going to buy a treadmill with income tax refund money but I ran out. We will get one eventually and I would like to take some walks at the parks. Of course, now it is summer and so damn HOT! Since I work on my feet for 4-5 hour stretches, I think that qualifies as a work out!

Good luck to you and Jeremy, Chryssie! It's hard work but so worth it. Don't be discouraged by the slow go. You can do it!

Reactions: PTree15
What KLS said! Think of that 2 pounds as something tangible, like 2 pounds of apples. If you hold that in your hand, you'd be amazed at how much 2 pounds really is. So good on ya, Chryssie. Also, when you do start exercising, you might find that you will make better food choices because you won't want to "ruin" your good efforts. At least that's the case with me. :D

Reactions: KLS52
We have discovered that portion size is a huge issue for us! I have not been feeling that hungry with the cut backs and we are eating pretty much the same foods as always just LESS of it. The cookbook "Appetite for Reduction" is a very good one to use for lower calorie recipes. I have cut way back on bread and no sweets. I know we can do it because we did it before! Thanks for the encouraging words!

We have discovered that portion size is a huge issue for us! I have not been feeling that hungry with the cut backs and we are eating pretty much the same foods as always just LESS of it. The cookbook "Appetite for Reduction" is a very good one to use for lower calorie recipes. I have cut way back on bread and no sweets. I know we can do it because we did it before! Thanks for the encouraging words!
You are so right about portion sizes. That was one thing that made a huge difference for me. And eating more slowly. You would be surprised at how full you get when you slow down. I find that I need a lot less food to feel satisfied than I did when I was heavier.

Reactions: ledboots
Yes I agree about the slowing down. I eat a lot slower than Jeremy who is always done before me! Conquering the portions is a big step; slowing down will be the next one!

Reactions: PTree15
Welp, I'm dying.

Oh God no.

Well done you!

You are awesome, AF! Let us know when you're entering the triathlon, because you will be fit enough to do so!

Oh God no.

Well done you!

It is now the next morning, and if I thought I was dying yesterday it's nothing compared to today :p Movement is difficult. Husband came with me to the class, I won the "argument" about whose turn it was to get up and make coffee, and all I heard as he went downstairs was "OW OW STAIRS NO OW" xD

So it's obviously a very effective workout :p

Jeremy and I have started on a plan to lose weight by tracking all our food and staying under a calorie limit. Jeremy is doing very well and has already lost almost 10 pounds in 2 weeks. I do not have as much to lose and I have lost about 2 pounds. Monday is my "weigh in" day. We have not been doing any exercise though and I know we need to. I was going to buy a treadmill with income tax refund money but I ran out. We will get one eventually and I would like to take some walks at the parks. Of course, now it is summer and so damn HOT! Since I work on my feet for 4-5 hour stretches, I think that qualifies as a work out!

Good luck to you both!! I found food tracking helped me the most with getting healthier - not so much on the calorie front, but I was really overdoing the carbs. Keep it up :)

Welp, I'm dying.

Not to be a downer, but be careful with CrossFit. Some of the exercises they do in that program can cause injury. (Not meaning that is why you are sore now, that is the newness of it, but as you go along). Make sure your form is good when doing the exercises, especially upper body, like shoulders and elbows. Some CrossFit instructors don't know **** all about proper form.

It is now the next morning, and if I thought I was dying yesterday it's nothing compared to today :p Movement is difficult. Husband came with me to the class, I won the "argument" about whose turn it was to get up and make coffee, and all I heard as he went downstairs was "OW OW STAIRS NO OW" xD

So it's obviously a very effective workout :p

Good luck to you both!! I found food tracking helped me the most with getting healthier - not so much on the calorie front, but I was really overdoing the carbs. Keep it up :)

Yes, well done as it's not really easy to lose weight.

I cut down on carbs especially the highly processed ones and make sure that I have protein and fat for every meal.

Not to be a downer, but be careful with CrossFit. Some of the exercises they do in that program can cause injury. (Not meaning that is why you are sore now, that is the newness of it, but as you go along). Make sure your form is good when doing the exercises, especially upper body, like shoulders and elbows. Some CrossFit instructors don't know **** all about proper form.

The instructors were really on us all about our form as we did the exercises :) I checked the gym out beforehand to make sure the instructors were qualified, because I know the kind of damage improper exercise can cause. And I would've run a mile if there'd been anything unsafe!! But I appreciate the warning, a lot of people wouldn't consider questioning any of it.

The instructors were really on us all about our form as we did the exercises :) I checked the gym out beforehand to make sure the instructors were qualified, because I know the kind of damage improper exercise can cause. And I would've run a mile if there'd been anything unsafe!! But I appreciate the warning, a lot of people wouldn't consider questioning any of it.
Oh, good! There are some great CrossFit trainers out there, and some terrible ones. This one guy in a nearby city messed up the shoulders of dozens of men by teaching improper form and pushing them through the pain. Many of them needed surgeries. A friend who's an orthopod said that CrossFit injury repair paid for his European vacation last year.

Oh, good! There are some great CrossFit trainers out there, and some terrible ones. This one guy in a nearby city messed up the shoulders of dozens of men by teaching improper form and pushing them through the pain. Many of them needed surgeries. A friend who's an orthopod said that CrossFit injury repair paid for his European vacation last year.

Yikes! That's awful :(

Reactions: ledboots
Status
Not open for further replies.