May Health Challenge (2016)

Status
Not open for further replies.

AeryFairy

Anachronism
Reaction score
We're already halfway through May - well overdue for a new thread!!

Post up your health goals, update us on your progress, and support your fellow VVers! Last month's thread is here.

Remember, health goals can be absolutely anything that contribute to your physical or mental wellbeing <3

As for me... I'm pretty pleased with how May is going so far. I've been away on holiday for two and a half weeks, but I still managed to take care of myself relatively well. I've eaten a fair bit more than usual (because who wouldn't with a chef creating special three-course vegan meals every night, and 24-hour access to unlimited free food), and drank quite a lot (because the cocktails are SO GOOD), but I also went to the gym every day, walked at least 10,000 steps a day, and went zip lining, scuba diving, rock climbing, ice skating, roller skating, and swimming. I also drank a lot of water every day. I'm actually a few pounds lighter than when I left (which is, again, not my goal, but a good indication that I didn't go too overboard).

Tonight, it's back to roller derby! Can't wait to get back on the track.

I've been walking fairly regularly since late April. It makes me happy that I am at least moving about most days.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As for me... I'm pretty pleased with how May is going so far. I've been away on holiday for two and a half weeks, but I still managed to take care of myself relatively well. I've eaten a fair bit more than usual (because who wouldn't with a chef creating special three-course vegan meals every night, and 24-hour access to unlimited free food), and drank quite a lot (because the cocktails are SO GOOD), but I also went to the gym every day, walked at least 10,000 steps a day, and went zip lining, scuba diving, rock climbing, ice skating, roller skating, and swimming. I also drank a lot of water every day. I'm actually a few pounds lighter than when I left (which is, again, not my goal, but a good indication that I didn't go too overboard).

Tonight, it's back to roller derby! Can't wait to get back on the track.
You are awesome, AF! How was the zip lining? I've been dying to try it!

April was a bit of a lost month exercise-wise on account of some crazy work hours during the last two weeks. Not a very good excuse, but mentally I have been wiped out and thus skipping a session here and there. But then I decided that I really needed it in more ways than one, so May has been back to my regularly scheduled programming: At least five days a week of cardio (l did the 5k trail at work five times last week, woooooot!), drink a minimum of 48 ounces of water a day, get seven hours of sleep a night and once again, cut down on the white refined carbs (I have been a bad girl of late, lol). Today I did the treadmill because it was cold and windy this morning. I did 40 minutes and then I did a good five solid minutes of crunches and core work. I'm back in the groove!

Last edited:
Reactions: ledboots
^ You are so disciplined PTree15.:)

I decided I have to start eating better (and eating less!) as I have to get this cholesterol test done in the next couple of months.

I have lots of carrots in the fridge and it's cold and rainy today so I'm going to make soup for lunch.

Reactions: PTree15
You are awesome, AF! How was the zip lining? I've been dying to try it!

April was a bit of a lost month exercise-wise on account of some crazy work hours during the last two weeks. Not a very good excuse, but mentally I have been wiped out and thus skipping a session here and there. But then I decided that I really needed it in more ways than one, so May has been back to my regularly scheduled programming: At least five days a week of cardio (l did the 5k trail at work five times last week, woooooot!), drink a minimum of 48 ounces of water a day, get seven hours of sleep a night and once again, cut down on the white refined carbs (I have been a bad girl of late, lol). Today I did the treadmill because it was cold and windy this morning. I did 40 minutes and then I did a good five solid minutes of crunches and core work. I'm back in the groove!

Zip lining was pretty awesome - a great way to see the rainforests in Puerto Rico ;) The scuba diving was my favourite though - the ocean was so clear and warm, and there were so many cool little fish that came to say hello to me :)

Sounds like you're doing really well!! Lots of cardio :)

I decided I have to start eating better (and eating less!) as I have to get this cholesterol test done in the next couple of months.

I have lots of carrots in the fridge and it's cold and rainy today so I'm going to make soup for lunch.

Mmmmm, soup :D good idea, might do the same!

I must do the same. I've never been so overweight and feel awful.

I'm going to have some French beans and new potatoes for dinner.:)

Zip lining was pretty awesome - a great way to see the rainforests in Puerto Rico ;) The scuba diving was my favourite though - the ocean was so clear and warm, and there were so many cool little fish that came to say hello to me :)

Sounds like you're doing really well!! Lots of cardio :)

Mmmmm, soup :D good idea, might do the same!
Omg, Puerto Rico is where I have wanted to try it. That's it. Next year for sure!

I lost 3 lbs in the past week. I have a lot to lose, but it's a start. I'm having porridge/oatmeal (good for cholesterol) with soya yoghurt and fresh fruit for breakfast.

It's not really health related, but I've also decided to cut down on the amount I go online. Other than stuff that I need to check like email, online shopping, work stuff, news, bank account etc... I want to try and limit myself to one hour a day.

Well, that is just a general aim as I think I have been on VV for 25 minutes already today!:D

I lost 3 lbs in the past week. I have a lot to lose, but it's a start. I'm having porridge/oatmeal (good for cholesterol) with soya yoghurt and fresh fruit for breakfast.

It's not really health related, but I've also decided to cut down on the amount I go online. Other than stuff that I need to check like email, online shopping, work stuff, news, bank account etc... I want to try and limit myself to one hour a day.

Well, that is just a general aim as I think I have been on VV for 25 minutes already today!:D

That is a good start. What kind of food plan are you following or are you just doing portion control ?

I'm also trying to limit my internet connection. When I was in the UK, I didn't have access to a computer for 6 days and
it was a great feeling.

I'm planning to have one whole computer free day.

Reactions: PTree15

I try, Moll. :) I have my weak moments. ;)
I took today off from work and enjoyed a glorious 4-mile walk to downtown. Usually it's 5 1/2 miles, but I cheated and took the bus part of the way, lol, mostly because I wanted to do a little shopping as well. I went to my favorite vegan restaurant (ION...I know, twice in less than 10 days, lol) for lunch and had an amazing Greek salad. It had almond feta, which was very creamy and quite tasty. I might have to ask them for the recipe. It was so good. The clouds are starting to roll in, so I think I timed my walk rather well. Even waiting for the bus for the way back was pleasant because it was warm and sunny out.

And good on you guys for making wise food choices. I'm trying to keep doing the same.

Reactions: Poppy and AeryFairy
I went to my favorite vegan restaurant (ION...I know, twice in less than 10 days, lol) for lunch and had an amazing Greek salad. It had almond feta, which was very creamy and quite tasty. I might have to ask them for the recipe. It was so good.

Sounds delicious.

I try, Moll. :) I have my weak moments. ;)
I took today off from work and enjoyed a glorious 4-mile walk to downtown. Usually it's 5 1/2 miles, but I cheated and took the bus part of the way, lol, mostly because I wanted to do a little shopping as well. I went to my favorite vegan restaurant (ION...I know, twice in less than 10 days, lol) for lunch and had an amazing Greek salad. It had almond feta, which was very creamy and quite tasty. I might have to ask them for the recipe. It was so good. The clouds are starting to roll in, so I think I timed my walk rather well. Even waiting for the bus for the way back was pleasant because it was warm and sunny out.

And good on you guys for making wise food choices. I'm trying to keep doing the same.

I"m sure that you could find a recipe on line.:)

It does sound nice.

I left work early and went hiking in the woods then walking around the lake. It was a glorious day.

It's amazing how walking 40-50 minutes a day barely helps get me to the 10,000 steps a day goal. It's easier when I'm at work but apparently I sit a lot when I'm at home, like on the weekends.

Even though I worked half a day, went hiking and walking, I only hit 8800 steps. And I even worked outside for an hour cleaning the deck table and chairs and playing with the neighbor's puppy. This is too hard, lol.

I left work early and went hiking in the woods then walking around the lake. It was a glorious day.

It's amazing how walking 40-50 minutes a day barely helps get me to the 10,000 steps a day goal. It's easier when I'm at work but apparently I sit a lot when I'm at home, like on the weekends.

Even though I worked half a day, went hiking and walking, I only hit 8800 steps. And I even worked outside for an hour cleaning the deck table and chairs and playing with the neighbor's puppy. This is too hard, lol.

Well, to be fair, if you did all that additional work (hiking instead of walking, plus cleaning and other activities), then you're probably fine on the amount of movement you're doing. Like, on the days when I skate, I only get around 5-6k steps - but I've *definitely* done enough exercise for the day (and then some!).

Are you using a pedometer? Many are completely unreliable in counting.

So funny as I was thinking about pedometers when I woke up this morning, I have heard that they often don't record your steps properly.

Reactions: ledboots
Status
Not open for further replies.