Man Flu is real, says new study

No surprise here. I have known from early childhood that men are the weaker sex in everything other than sheer physical strength.

Reactions: sequoia
As a rule, men do not like to be sick and deny it until they are pretty bad off.

This has not been my experience.

As a rule, men are big ole babies and want you to become their mother when they have the sniffles.

This has been my experience.

They may put off checkups/tests*, but when they get sick, there's no one in the history of the world who has been sicker.

*My ex husband not being one of these - he's the biggest hypochondriac I have ever known. Drug commercials convince him that he has every disease mentioned, and off to the doctor he goes.

Reactions: RabbitLuvr
I used to date this guy who, when he had the most minor injury or illness, would sit in bed or on the sofa whimpering softly. He had flu once when we were dating, and he literally rolled back and forth in bed, moaning. For hours. I brought him fluids in the morning, then closed the door and got on with my day.

This is just one reason why he is an ex.

When men get sick, we really get sick. And as has now been conclusively shown by science, men have a greater capacity for suffering, and are therefore obviously entitled to higher standards of care when in distress.

The doctor referred to my 2012 sickness as The Crud. I was fucked up for a week.

What am I then, a woman in a male disguise?

I don't know. We only have your word that you're not a whiny crybaby about being sick. None of the whiny crybabies I've known have thought they were whiny crybabies - they were just convinced that nobody had ever been as sick as they were.

Reactions: thefadedone
Don't get me wrong, I take care of bf when he gets sick - just like he takes care of me. Because that's what people who care about each other do. But I don't believe for one second that his crud is any worse than my crud, and gendered ideas about who should take care of who and that women's work is still doable if your ill is not acceptable.

I don't know. We only have your word that you're not a whiny crybaby about being sick. None of the whiny crybabies I've known have thought they were whiny crybabies - they were just convinced that nobody had ever been as sick as they were.

Oh, but I never get that sick. The worst thing I can remember was when I had the flu and was knocked for 2 days straight. Then I went to the computer whilst still being ill because lying down that much was frikkin' boring. Stomach flus are never nice of course, but it's not too bad after the intense stomachache disappears.

Oh, but I never get that sick. The worst thing I can remember was when I had the flu and was knocked for 2 days straight. Then I went to the computer whilst still being ill because lying down that much was frikkin' boring. Stomach flus are never nice of course, but it's not too bad after the intense stomachache disappears.

O.K. you can be an honorary woman.

Actually, I have known one man who worked through all kinds of ailments and constant pain without ever complaining. He had a hard, difficult life, and lived it with a great deal of grace.

Reactions: IamJen and KLS52
No surprise here. I have known from early childhood that men are the weaker sex in everything other than sheer physical strength.

Actually, very true. Men have one X chromosome, women have two. That means men are far more prone to disorders resulting from an irregular gene on the X chromosome. A easily proven example of this are the common forms of color blindness - while women can be affected by it, far more men are affected by it.

You make it sound like a bad thing. You aren't buying into gender constructs about shrugging off pain being more admirable, are you? Really, there's nothing beneficial about that. Having a high pain tolerance is something that tends to develop if you have enough exposure to pain. It's not necessarily a good thing. And I say this as someone whose splinted a broken bone and hunted down someone who can drive me to the ER without shedding a tear.