Nutrition & Diet Finally! the truth about oil (mainstream media)

That study is about using oil in deep-frying, which I never do.
Read the conclusion, they found that fresh (uncooked) and deep fried oil caused increased triglycerides in the blood. I picked that one due to lack of time, but yet more evidence that extracted lipids are horrible for CV health.
As others have pointed out here, lipids inside the food's matrix (whole food) do not do the damage that extracted oils do. Also to clarify, taking extracted lipids and putting them back in to food does not make them healthier. Forgot what it was called, but extracted lipids absorb so fast through the stomach wall that it causes the blood to become slimy.

Salt is a tough one for me, too. I only rarely eat processed/restaurant food anymore (the biggest culprits, along with bread), so I allow myself a little bit on the food I make at home, though a little salsa or hot sauce or mustard can take the place of my salt shaker, for sure.

Reactions: Emma JC
1. I did not read the article/study.
2. Everyone’s comments are interesting and informative.
3. I am on the fence with my judgement other than I will not be giving up salt/oil anytime soon.
4. It’s not about the ultimate perfect diet for me. It’s about doing the very best I can with the so-called “bad” stuff in moderation. I’d rather concentrate on the elimination of all animal products. I can’t handle worrying that I want to coat the bottom of my sauté pan in a teaspoon of EVOO because it makes the veggies crisp up better.
5. I do admire those of you with the resolve to really get into this health thing. Carry on. 😊

@KLS52 I think different attitudes have somewhat to do with age.

A whole food plant based diet that limits added oils, salts and sugars, is the only diet that has been show to reverse heart disease. The inflammatory nature of a high fat diet is a contributor to heart disease and almost every other disease as most are inflammatory in nature. Type II diabetes has also now been shown to be a result of fat in the cells preventing insulin from doing its job and so anyone who is a Type II diabetic should seriously consider going plant based and also limiting oils and even high fat plant products until/when they have been able to get their body back into balance.

Younger people, have a better chance of not being affected by added oils, especially those that are plant-based, it doesn't mean that you shouldn't at least be aware of its inflammatory effects so that you can be wiser in your use of it.

Most of us have had a lifetime of eating animals, eggs, dairy and adding oils and butters to almost every meal, Cutting out all of it meant that I lost a lot of weight and have kept most of it off however the damage to my vascular system will repair slowly. That is why I try to use only about 1/2 tbsp of olive oil a week and try to limit the processed meat alternatives as well.

Emma JC

Side note - since I'm studying German... The German word for oil is Öl - it's pronounced exactly the way it tastes to me... Sort of take the "oo" from "book" and add an "L", but make it sound a bit like you're going to puke. ;)

• Informative
As others have pointed out here, lipids inside the food's matrix (whole food) do not do the damage that extracted oils do. Also to clarify, taking extracted lipids and putting them back in to food does not make them healthier.

Interesting. So you are saying that eating a given amount of walnuts is healthier than first cold pressing those walnuts, eating the solids and then swallowing the extracted oil or using that oil with some vegetables.

However, I also came across this video by Dr. Greger, Olive oil and artery function . Starting at 2:25, he quotes a study: "Dietary fruits, vegetables and their products appear to provide some protection against the direct impairment in endothelial function produced by high-fat foods, including olive oil."

I don't have any expertise in this area so I'm not trying to push any particular viewpoint, just trying to learn. I've been vegan for at least ten years but I do usually use 1-2 teaspoons of either flax, sesame or olive oil each day. If I'm going to eliminate that from my diet I want to be sure of the reason for doing so.

• Friendly
One tablespoon of ground flaxseed provides you with omega 3s and some protein. Easy to add to smoothies or salads. Another handful of nuts should provide you with some additional healthy fats. It is pretty hard not to get the rest of the necessary fats from things like tofu and beans.

I don't think you need the oil at all

• Agree
Interesting. So you are saying that eating a given amount of walnuts is healthier than first cold pressing those walnuts, eating the solids and then swallowing the extracted oil or using that oil with some vegetables.

However, I also came across this video by Dr. Greger, Olive oil and artery function . Starting at 2:25, he quotes a study: "Dietary fruits, vegetables and their products appear to provide some protection against the direct impairment in endothelial function produced by high-fat foods, including olive oil."

I don't have any expertise in this area so I'm not trying to push any particular viewpoint, just trying to learn. I've been vegan for at least ten years but I do usually use 1-2 teaspoons of either flax, sesame or olive oil each day. If I'm going to eliminate that from my diet I want to be sure of the reason for doing so.

1 - 2 teaspoons per day is not a lot of oil and for most people, if they could stick to that, they would be much healthier.

Many people cook with oil, add oil to salads, add vegan butters to bread/potatoes/baking etc. There are very few people who consume such a small amount. As you are in the 50+ age group I would suggest that, before you cut out something that might make your meals enjoyable, that you consider (or use Cronometer) what other fats you eat in a day. If you are eating a whole food plant-based mostly unprocessed diet then having a teaspoon of those oils is not going to be harmful overall. If you are consuming lots of faux meats and other processed foods then maybe you should reconsider.

Emma JC

I’m bad with adding vegan butter, condiments like vegenaise, etc. :(

I still haven’t gone to get my blood checked. Gah! 🤦‍♀️

• Friendly
Reactions: shyvas
I’m bad with adding vegan butter, condiments like vegenaise, etc. :(

yes, I do not have vegenaise in the house and use hummus or tahini or something else where needed - we do have vegan butter as we occasionally have popcorn and so will add a small amount with a bunch of spices and occasionally garlic bread too - a small container lasts weeks

Emma JC

hehe

My black and white photo 'may' indicate that I am older than you? maybe?

Emma JC
I’ll be 68 in February...I can’t believe how close to 70 that is!! LOL

I’ll be 68 in February...I can’t believe how close to 70 that is!! LOL

okay, well, you have me on age - that photo was taken in the 60's...

It will be interesting to see what your blood results are, if you choose to share them. I have never had blood tests and I don't go to doctors so I try to just pay attention to my body and research a lot. I am not bad habit free, by any stretch of the imagination, but giving up oils and excess fats, salts and sugars and eating wfpb'ed is easier than, for example, exercising. I should be doing both, I know, I know....

Emma JC

Reactions: TofuRobot and KLS52
yes, I do not have vegenaise in the house and use hummus or tahini or something else where needed - we do have vegan butter as we occasionally have popcorn and so will add a small amount with a bunch of spices and occasionally garlic bread too - a small container lasts weeks

Emma JC
I'm kind of a sucker for kite hill cream cheese, but I think it's made with almond milk instead of oil like lots of cheeses are.... But I have this vanilla ice cream in the freezer that's made with avocado oil that is difficult to stay away from 😬

I hate when they start putting oil in stuff for no reason - like Dave's Killer Bread. I even wrote to them about it. All they said was "we started adding it 'to improve the baking process'" or something. Boo.

Reactions: Emma JC and KLS52
I'm kind of a sucker for kite hill cream cheese, but I think it's made with almond milk instead of oil like lots of cheeses are.... But I have this vanilla ice cream in the freezer that's made with avocado oil that is difficult to stay away from 😬

I hate when they start putting oil in stuff for no reason - like Dave's Killer Bread. I even wrote to them about it. All they said was "we started adding it 'to improve the baking process'" or something. Boo.

There is always a reason when industrials add ingredients to packaged sliced bread. Added fat helps to improve the volume, gives a softer crumb and the loaf also has a longer shelf life.
I rarely buy sliced bread and when I do, it the salt and sugar content that I take into account. It's amazing how most brands add so much sugar to such a simple food.
Bread is a very basic food that should only contain four ingredients ; flour, water, yeast and salt. :)

Reactions: Emma JC and KLS52
There is always a reason when Industrials add ingredients to packaged sliced bread. Added fat helps to improve the volume, gives a softer crumb and the loaf also has a longer shelf life.
I rarely buy sliced bread and when I do, it the salt and sugar content that I take into account. It's amazing how most brands add so much sugar to such a simple food.
Bread is a very basic food that should only contain four ingredients ; flour, water, yeast and salt. :)
Actually, the only bread I buy for myself is Low Sodium Ezekiel (all sprouted grain), but I used to buy Daves for a change of pace and for sandwiches for my son. I haven't bought Dave's in a long time, but it was nice to know it was an option. I am mostly irritated in principle, as it was perfectly fine before, but apparently they got bought out and sold out (it's my theory that it's also part of the bigger plan to keep oil in the market as a commodity, much like meat is).

Reactions: Emma JC and Lou
I used to buy Dave's Too. But now I buy the Ezekial's 4:9 sprouted grain. I think it is the best. My store sells it in the freezer section and when i get home with it I just put it back in my freezer. So it's pretty fresh and keeps a long time. Also, frozen bread makes it easier to make peanut butter sandwiches, which I also keep in the freezer.
Bread quickly defrosts so that is not an issue. or just toast it. or put it in the frypan for grilled cheese.
If your store doesn't carry it you can order it online. I haven't tried that yet but I assume its a one-day delivery kind of thing.
Ezekial's also makes bagels and English muffins. I have had the English muffins. they are great. Still, haven't tried the bagels yet.

I also like that the 4:9 is from the bible and is a recipe for making bread, “Take wheat and barley, beans and lentils, millet and spelt; put them in a storage jar and use them to make bread for yourself."
There is some weird stuff in the next sentence. and some even weirder stuff in the following paragraphs. but that's the old testament for you.

• Haha
I used to buy Dave's Too. But now I buy the Ezekial's 4:9 sprouted grain. I think it is the best. My store sells it in the freezer section and when i get home with it I just put it back in my freezer. So it's pretty fresh and keeps a long time. Also, frozen bread makes it easier to make peanut butter sandwiches, which I also keep in the freezer.
Bread quickly defrosts so that is not an issue. or just toast it. or put it in the frypan for grilled cheese.
If your store doesn't carry it you can order it online. I haven't tried that yet but I assume its a one-day delivery kind of thing.
Ezekial's also makes bagels and English muffins. I have had the English muffins. they are great. Still, haven't tried the bagels yet.

I also like that the 4:9 is from the bible and is a recipe for making bread, “Take wheat and barley, beans and lentils, millet and spelt; put them in a storage jar and use them to make bread for yourself."
There is some weird stuff in the next sentence. and some even weirder stuff in the following paragraphs. but that's the old testament for you.
That's the same as I was talking about above... I also like the tortillas! The best for when I don't want to eat so much bread. I have been using these for avocado toast lately. So gut (good)! :)

Reactions: Emma JC and Lou