Man Flu is real, says new study

Really, all I've gotten out of this thread is that men suck and I'm the toughest, most bad-*** person on this forum. :p

Really, all I've gotten out of this thread is that men suck and I'm the toughest, most bad-*** person on this forum. :p

I agree with the first part of the sentence, and I'll arm wrestle you with respect to the second part.

Reactions: KLS52
There is more than one arm wrestling movie?

There is more than one arm wrestling movie.

There is more than one arm wrestling movie.

What is wrong with people.

Reactions: kazyeeqen
Mine is more of a documentary though, and is about a female arm wrestler.

I think men are better at dealing with physical pain in general though.

I think a person's threshold for pain and dealing with it is dependent on the person regardless of gender. I've only ever been in physical pain as a dude.

Actually I recall reading studies done on astronauts that showed women are better equipped physically to withstand higher levels of pain than men. They suggested that the capacity to give birth - independent of actually having given birth, or the availability of pain killers - may be responsible for giving women a greater tolerance for pain.

I think a person's threshold for pain and dealing with it is dependent on the person regardless of gender. I've only ever been in physical pain as a dude.

Social networks increases the ability to cope with pain, on average. Since men, as a gender, tend to have weaker social networks than women, they should be less able to cope with pain.

So the theory backs up men as being less able to deal with pain. In practice? Who knows.

Actually I recall reading studies done on astronauts that showed women are better equipped physically to withstand higher levels of pain than men. They suggested that the capacity to give birth - independent of actually having given birth, or the availability of pain killers - may be responsible for giving women a greater tolerance for pain.
It's just as much about the mental part too though.

Social networks increases the ability to cope with pain, on average. Since men, as a gender, tend to have weaker social networks than women, they should be less able to cope with pain.

So the theory backs up men as being less able to deal with pain. In practice? Who knows.
So you're talking about long-lasting pains now?

So you're talking about long-lasting pains now?

I'd have to check with my source, but I believe it's all pain. People with stronger social networks tend to handle pain better.

ETA: Of course, this assumes the science is sound. Perhaps there's something we don't know is happening. For example, perhaps women have a lesser ability to develop an aversion to pain, thus each painful event is less traumatic. I could speculate on a plausible evolutionary cause for such a hypothetical trait (hint: men don't push 9 pounds out of a very sensitive part of their body), and I could even point to studies that show that women don't remember some pain well (some studies show that the pain of childbirth fades within hours for quickly - in short, if you're a woman and give birth, your body may be drugging your mind to form weaker memories).

I can't say I have any social network at all. Being self-sufficient means if something really serious happens I have to deal with it on my own, without help. Which means I can't waste time writhing around and crying if I get hurt or ill. And I've always had animals who have to be cared for, so I can't lie in bed and be catered to, because there's no one there to cater to me, and no one there to care for those dependent upon me. I would think this true of anyone as alone and independent as I am, regardless of gender. So I kinda have to wonder how having a social network makes you more able to handle pain.

It's just as much about the mental part too though.
I think they were doing their best to be quantitative.

Reactions: RabbitLuvr