Low b12 & vitd, elevated tsh...

TofuRobot

Forum Legend
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
That sums up the results of my blood tests.
Dr. recommended B12 injections 1x/week for a month, plus drops. Has anyone else needed B12 injections? I got my first (ever) yesterday. I didn't not even feel it (seriously), and don't really feel any different today. I do not want to stay on the injections...

So, I will have to go back to using the drops... I was really hoping the B12 toothpaste was going to be sufficient.

I'm supposed to go back for more thyroid testing. My grandmother was on meds for unreactive thyroid - I really hope i won't be needing that, but it would kind of explain a few things (dry skin, sightly thinnig hair, fatigue). Anyone else with this issue?

The vitamin D I'm not sure about. Have not been taking a supplement and it's been freezing so I've not been out in the sun. All the other stuff is new...

What a pansy.

High of 63 in LA.
-27 in Peter Stinks, Utah
As it turns out Mr. @Lou , cold intolerance is one of the symptoms of an underactive thyroid. Plus I have Reynauds Disease - I've had lots of painful episodes the past few months... And i weigh less that 100 lbs so I don't normally tolerate temperature extremes anyway, So :p
The snow is nice but only with heated gear

That sums up the results of my blood tests.
Dr. recommended B12 injections 1x/week for a month, plus drops. Has anyone else needed B12 injections? I got my first (ever) yesterday. I didn't not even feel it (seriously), and don't really feel any different today. I do not want to stay on the injections...

So, I will have to go back to using the drops... I was really hoping the B12 toothpaste was going to be sufficient.

I'm supposed to go back for more thyroid testing. My grandmother was on meds for unreactive thyroid - I really hope i won't be needing that, but it would kind of explain a few things (dry skin, sightly thinnig hair, fatigue). Anyone else with this issue?

The vitamin D I'm not sure about. Have not been taking a supplement and it's been freezing so I've not been out in the sun. All the other stuff is new...

I take a simple b12 capsule every 3 or 4 days and take 2 capules of VitD at the same time.

I also have fortified almond milk. I wouldn't think, unless you swallow it, that toothpaste would get you enough.

Emma JC

My sister has some condition where she doesn’t process b12 too well, and so she has to supplement with methylcobalamin b12 rather than cyanocobalamin b12, which most b12 supplements are. It has something to do with the MTHFR gene. She’s always telling me I should be tested for the mutation, since I have a thyroid condition and apparently they often go hand in hand. Maybe that’s something you can ask to be tested for?
I also always test low in b12 and vitd and high tsh. When I take my thyroid meds and supplements on a regular basis I can get my lab work numbers where they should be, but it takes a few months.

Reactions: TofuRobot
My sister has some condition where she doesn’t process b12 too well, and so she has to supplement with methylcobalamin b12 rather than cyanocobalamin b12, which most b12 supplements are. It has something to do with the MTHFR gene. She’s always telling me I should be tested for the mutation, since I have a thyroid condition and apparently they often go hand in hand. Maybe that’s something you can ask to be tested for?
I also always test low in b12 and vitd and high tsh. When I take my thyroid meds and supplements on a regular basis I can get my lab work numbers where they should be, but it takes a few months.
That is interesting Mbeth - I have heard of that gene before but I had not heard of its association with thyroid anything, and that's really interesting about the 3 things possibly being interrelated. I will ask about it when I go back in.

I always test low-ish on Vit. D, too, but can't remember what TSH was before - I'm pretty sure everything else wasn't normal enough to not warrant mentioning (unless I just forgot).

One thing that just occurred to me was that I have not been using any nutritional yeast on anything lately at all. I kind of went off of it for a while - I think I burned myself out or something. I still like it but I'm not all "in love" with it like I was before. The kind I have is fortified with B12 and I have tons of it (and it's good).

@Emma JC - the thing with the toothpaste is that it gets (or is supposed to get) absorbed by the gums - that's supposed to be a better delivery system than ingestion via the digestive tract. I forgot how/why. It makes sense because that's exactly how the drops work. You're supposed to "swish" the liquid between your teeth for 2 minutes so it has time to get into your gums. ...It's entirely possible that a different brand of that might have worked better for me, I don't know. But for now I'm going to stick to the drops (and eating lots of nooch) cuz I don't really feel like experimenting further with it. ...I mean - I might still use it (a different brand), but I am not going to rely on it.

Last edited:
Reactions: Emma JC
...I do want to be clear that it's only the B12 that I *might* attribute to the change in diet. The other things are in no way related. Even the B12 - knowing how long it takes (what I hear varies, but I've heard a number as high as 7 years) for B12 deficiency to present itself - could only be partially a factor. I've only been 100% plant based for about a year + 1/2. For all I know I could have been developing this for several years prior. I wouldn't know since it's been at least 5 yrs since I've had any labs done. I'm really not one to go to the dr on a regular basis. Like, ever. I pretty much only go when I'm super sick, and it's been a while (knock on wood!). ....I'm kind of afraid to talk to a "regular" person (an "omni") about it b/c they'll probably just jump on the "it's because you don't eat meat" train... : unamused:

I thought I'd update that I did get tested further for thyroid issues and my doctor said "Your thyroid labs are perfect."
And since I've been taking a B-complex and B12 (I only did 3 injections b/c I really didn't think the last one was necessary and they fail to tell you about the aluminum in those [check the FDA website]), plus eating more beans and nooch, I feel fabulous! And it don't even take an Omega 3 supplement. I must be one of those people who converts whatever ALA/DHA/whateveritisthathastohappen just fine from all the avocados and walnuts I eat.

It'll be 2 years August 11th since I switched to a WFPB no S/O (salt is the most difficult for me to eliminate) and I'm still alive and thriving! :)

Now if someone could help me with my addiction to dates, and this idea I have in my head that I'm still 16 and that literally jumping/falling onto my bed knees-first is not going to tear my meniscus(es), I'd be doing even better, LOL :joy::confounded: (*ouch)

Have you heard about vaporized vitamin B12? It is not painful like injections. You can use the nicotine free vape pen to treat the B12 deficiency.