Loss of Nutrients in Fruit after chopping?

Unfortunately I do not.

The problem is that you never know when fruits/vegetables are actually really clean (if at all). So how long do you have to wash it, a few seconds, half a minute or longer? When is it clean? I've always been amazed that you can actually clean fruit/vegetables with just running water (without any other means) or even remove germs, bacteria, etc. Although otherwise, certain detergents and soap, for example for the hands, are always required for everything. So why does simple water work here? So many people touch the fruits/vegetables.

up until now I was just wanting to wash off the pesticides.
I did some research yesterday and settle on 1:3 water to vinegar and a little lemon juice.
one guy recommended a little hydrogen peroxide added to the v&w. (I guess for the pathogens). but I balked on that one.

Reactions: Datel
It doesn't. If the vegetable and/or fruit contain e coli, listeria etc, water will have no effect on removing them.
Flu viruses, cold viruses, epidemic viruses and whatever are still working then? How many sick people touch fruits/vegetables? So there is nothing one can do against such germs, bacteria (without heating, peeling, if peeling would help at all, fruits/vegetables)? How many people are likely to get sick from this. Maybe vinegar kills them?

I did some research yesterday and settle on 1:3 water to vinegar and a little lemon juice.
Wonder if this also kills germs, bacteria, etc.

one guy recommended a little hydrogen peroxide added to the v&w. (I guess for the pathogens). but I balked on that one.
Maybe it would be suitable (if the concentration could do anything at all) if there were no residues (rinse again with pure water) on fruit/vegetables, i.e. if it could be completely removed quickly and easily with water.

Yikes! Hydrogen peroxide should never be taken internally. It can cause irritation of the gastrointestinal tract with nausea, vomiting, and foaming at the mouth (the foam may obstruct the respiratory tract or result in pulmonary aspiration). Within minutes of ingestion, confusion, coma, convulsions, cyanosis and cardiorespiratory arrest may ensue if the concentration is high enough. Oxygen gas embolism in the brain may cause a stroke even after just a few sips. Most problems occur at concentrations >10%, but even dilute solutions can be toxic.

Unfortunately I do not.

The problem is that you never know when fruits/vegetables are actually really clean (if at all). So how long do you have to wash it, a few seconds, half a minute or longer? When is it clean? I've always been amazed that you can actually clean fruit/vegetables with just running water (without any other means) or even remove germs, bacteria, etc. Although otherwise, certain detergents and soap, for example for the hands, are always required for everything. So why does simple water work here? So many people touch the fruits/vegetables.
Where did you hear that?
I mostly wash to help rid pesticide residue than germs

Oh, and whatever is used to soak should be rinsed off

• Agree
Reactions: Lou
Where did you hear that?
Nowhere, thought that would be the way it is. Most of the people use simple water, nothing more, I would think. If simple water would not remove germs, etc., I would think, a lot of people would have to get sick. How could it be any different?

I mostly wash to help rid pesticide residue than germs
Why not germs?

Oh, and whatever is used to soak should be rinsed off
To have no residues, yes, OK.

For me and I believe it's the general consensus too, we wash our fruits and veggies to remove pesticide residue. And we use a vegetable wash because just water is not enough. Yes those pesticides can be persistent
I remember reading a study and typical fruits and veggies still had pesticides on them... wait I'll get the article... I have it here somewhere....

"Washing your fruits and vegetables before eating is essential, even if it’s only under the tap for a few seconds. Toxic chemicals are sprayed on crops and the residue of these pesticides remain on fruits and vegetables unless they are washed off using an appropriate method. Use salt, bicarb or vinegar to soak your vegetables for around 20 minutes to remove pesticides and bacteria. Avoid eating fruits and vegetables straight from the packet, even if they are organic."

And then....
According to this article some of our concern is over blown

Also as far as pathogens go... most are not persisitant on surfaces. However there are some notable exceptions. And yep those exceptions can make you sick or dead.

Oh and as far as the hydrogen peroxide. No mater what you use to wash your fruit and vegetables - they must be rinsed thourohly - and in my house I let the dry before I put them away.

Thank you very much for the links!

If you’re strapped for time and you can’t soak your produce, we recommend giving your fruits and vegetables a wash under the tap for twenty seconds. This will help remove some of the pesticide residue and also clear away bacteria and dirt (especially all the dirty fingers which it’s come into contact with).

This will help remove some of the pesticide residue
Only some of them. I am wondering how much keeps staying.

I am wondering what this means: "(especially all the dirty fingers which it’s come into contact with)".

According to this article some of our concern is over blown
Hopefully there aren't too many articles or studies that say otherwise/contrary.

Use salt, bicarb or vinegar to soak your vegetables for around 20 minutes to remove pesticides and bacteria.
Whether that also flushes out nutrients?

Also as far as pathogens go... most are not persisitant on surfaces. However there are some notable exceptions. And yep those exceptions can make you sick or dead.
So it obviously just depends on luck or whatever whether/when it happens to you.

Oh and as far as the hydrogen peroxide. No mater what you use to wash your fruit and vegetables - they must be rinsed thourohly - and in my house I let the dry before I put them away.
OK. But actually there shouldn't be any reason to dry the fruit/vegetables, since you should only wash them immediately before eating them (I think, for example, so that nutrients aren't lost during the time after and because of the washing).

OK. But actually there shouldn't be any reason to dry the fruit/vegetables, since you should only wash them immediately before eating them (I think, for example, so that nutrients aren't lost during the time after and because of the washing).

I wash my veggies as soon as I get home. Strawberries are very susceptible to mold so I make sure they are dry before going into the frig And I store them in a ventilated container too.

Sorry for my bad expression. Yes, if fruits are wet they should definitely be dried under these circumstances (storing them). This is my information too. But, as I have often heard/read, fruit should only be washed immediately before consumption. And not washed, then stored and then eaten at some point.

• Agree
Reactions: Emma JC
If I did even half of what is being suggested I would never bother to eat... not dissing what anyone else does I just haven't done any of that for my whole 60+ years so maybe I have built up a resistance. I never even took any extra precautions, with groceries, during covid despite being a mask wearer and hand washer.

Emma JC
Find your vegan soulmate or just a friend. www.spiritualmatchmaking.com

• Agree
Reactions: silva and Brian W
If I did even half of what is being suggested I would never bother to eat... not dissing what anyone else does I just haven't done any of that for my whole 60+ years so maybe I have built up a resistance. I never even took any extra precautions, with groceries, during covid despite being a mask wearer and hand washer.

Emma JC
I took a lot of precautions during Covid and then found out a lot of them were just not necessary. In the beginning they thought the virus could live on the surface of things for weeks - it turns out that it was just days. So instead of cleaning everything, including the outside of boxes and cans) all I needed to do was put new stuff into quarantine (my linen closet).

But one person does not make for a good study. There is a branch of science/math called Risk Assessment. or Risk Management. There are two things that go into Risk Management. the likelihood of an even and also the consequences of an event. Statistically very few people get E. coli. But many of those who do - Die. The other thing that goes into Risk Management is the cost of avoiding the event. Therefore we are all taught to wash our hands before meals.

If I did even half of what is being suggested I would never bother to eat... not dissing what anyone else does I just haven't done any of that for my whole 60+ years so maybe I have built up a resistance.
Or maybe you didn't and maybe substances / residues accumulate by leaving out more than half of what is recommended and will take effect at some point negatively. As is for example the case with heavily processed industrial food or smoking, the haeavy effects are not always (maybe sometimes) noticeable immediately, but in some or more or many, etc. cases they may only have an impact when you are older. Maybe never, maybe much sooner. Etc. Maybe or most likely you will never know what is or will be caused by what kind of nutrition. Maybe it's always about probabilities that are difficult to assess or, more likely, not at all or hardly assessable.

• Disagree
Reactions: Brian W and Lou

Emma JC
Support for you Emma. One can either live or one can obsess about the vague possibility of existing longer as a paranoid, rabbit hole health worrier! I choose the first.

Reactions: silva

Emma JC
I so agree! While I do have certain rules like always buying organic oats, washing greens....I'd be far more inclined to simply eat junk foods if I felt I had to be as strict in washing/eating as fresh as possible/organic.
Even Dr Greger will tell you the most important thing is eating wfpb in the way you'll eat it

One can either live or one can obsess about the vague possibility of existing longer as a paranoid, rabbit hole health worrier! I choose the first.

Or, the third option, you can be obsessed with a vague possibility in between as a soft-brained lunatic, who stammers nonsense! Who knows what can happen (with all the different diets)? And maybe there are even more options. Who knows?

Sorry, what does "wfpb" mean?

Or, the third option, you can be obsessed with a vague possibility in between as a soft-brained lunatic, who stammers nonsense! Who knows what can happen (with all the different diets)? And maybe there are even more options. Who knows?

Sorry, what does "wfpb" mean?
Whole Food, Plant Based

Ah, OK, thank you!

But what does this
Even Dr Greger will tell you the most important thing is eating wfpb in the way you'll eat it
have to do with:
I so agree! While I do have certain rules like always buying organic oats, washing greens....I'd be far more inclined to simply eat junk foods if I felt I had to be as strict in washing/eating as fresh as possible/organic.
Respectively what is the connection here?