Loss of Nutrients in Fruit after chopping?

I highly recommend this book, it looks to be written only in English--
Many thanks, I will get it.

There seems to be a lot of interesting books out there: Best Nutrition Books of 2023 - Intelligent

Juicing would cause it removes the fiber.
And that's probably what makes the sugar behave differently than if you were to consume the entire fruit (also crushed with a blender).

but the conventional wisdom is to juice vegetable and blend fruit
Maybe because there is less sugar in vegetables or why is that?

You should drink smoothies slowly so your saliva can start the digestive process
Many thanks for the link! Or just adding berries to the drink. But I understood it was the same effect if drinking fast (faster) than sipping over a long(er) time. Or am I misunderstanding this:

And that's probably what makes the sugar behave differently than if you were to consume the entire fruit (also crushed with a blender).

Not sure what you are stating. but to try to make things clear. Blending does not remove anything. the whole fruit is still there. it's just you are drinking it instead of eating it. There are only physical changes. When it hits your stomach it the sugar may get absorbed faster - but probably not by that much.
Maybe because there is less sugar in vegetables or why is that?
Juicing removes most of the fiber. (that is the stuff you throw away.) It's the fiber that slows the digestion of carbs. The reason most people juice- you get all the nutrients in the fruit or veggie but none of the fiber. There are like 10 carrots in cup of carrot juice.

Not sure what you are stating.
Well, obviously the sugar has a different effect whether an entire fruit is consumed (eating an apple) or its juice alone (drinking the juice of an apple, without the fiber). That is not true?

Juicing removes most of the fiber. (that is the stuff you throw away.) It's the fiber that slows the digestion of carbs. The reason most people juice- you get all the nutrients in the fruit or veggie but none of the fiber. There are like 10 carrots in cup of carrot juice.
Sorry, yes, I meant to this:
but the conventional wisdom is to juice vegetable and blend fruit
Why juice vegatable and blend fruit? Why not blend vegatable?

Why do the people not want the fiber? Because they meant to reduce, keep their weight? Or is there another reason?

There are like 10 carrots in cup of carrot juice.
Sorry, what does that mean? How am I supposed to understand that? Is it good, bad, or...?

Well, obviously the sugar has a different effect whether an entire fruit is consumed (eating an apple) or its juice alone (drinking the juice of an apple, without the fiber). That is not true?
No that is true. I thought we were talking about blending.
Sorry, yes, I meant to this:

Why juice vegatable and blend fruit? Why not blend vegatable?
I knew that there were vegetable that you Could blend. I also thought that there were many more you Could Not blend. I went to google to give you a list. I am/was surprised by how many vegetable can be blended. Of course it helps if you have a Vitamax.

There is going to be some new concoctions tried in my house,

Why do the people not want the fiber? Because they meant to reduce, keep their weight? Or is there another reason?

Actually fiber is probably beneficial if you are trying to lose weight. Juiced veggies have the same amount of calories as the unjuiced ones. The fiber if "filling" and will keep you feeling "full" longer.

The main benefit of juicing veggies is that you can eat a lot more fruits and veggies when they are juiced. I couldn't eat ten carrots. especially not for breakfast. Even cooked for dinner I wouldn't normally eat more than 2 - 4. but I can juice ten carrots and drink the juice in a minute.
Sorry, what does that mean? How am I supposed to understand that? Is it good, bad, or...?
not sure where the misunderstanding is.
Imagine what 10 carrots look like and imagine what it might be like to eat 10.
Now imagine yourself happily drinking one cup of carrot juice.
You are getting all the nutrients of 10 carrots, minus the fiber.

Does washing fruits lose vitamin C (or others)?
It depends on where the nutrients are (with citrus fruit, the vast majority of the vitamin C is in the rind, but we would rarely consume that anyway) and how long it is washed. The strict answer is yes, but most of the time the practical answer is "not enough to worry about". I only mentioned it because your original post is implying you want to know ways of maximising nutrition retention.

So the sugar behaves differently than in the intact fruit?
As @Lou said, blending does not remove the fibre. However, it does break it down and that is what makes the sugar more freely available. Dentists will tell you what a huge difference this makes; eating an apple and a banana will not affect your teeth or blood sugar all that quickly whereas putting the chopped apple and the banana in a blender and then drinking the resulting smoothie will have a similar effect to drinking a bottle of your high-sugar fizzy drink of choice. Sorry, @Lou, but I have to contradict you very strongly here.

Reactions: Lou
Does washing fruits lose vitamin C (or others)?
I should add to my previous reply on this. If you pick a good apple from a bunch of slightly mouldy ones and give that apple a quick rinse and polish before putting it in your fruit bowl then you're unlikely to have affected the nutritional quality significantly at all. However if it is your habit to slice up runner beans straight into a big saucepan of water and then leave them soaking whilst you prepare other bits of your dinner (e.g. peel the spuds and so forth) then you'd be surprised how much vitamin C will leach out into the water even in that short time. Far better to slice up onto a plate or into a bowl, bring your saucepan to the boil and only dump the beans in at that point. Better still, steam them.

Washing does have an effect, but not all washing is equal.

saw a quick video from Dr Greger last night - cruciferous vegetables 45 minutes chopped in advance, before cooking releases their sulforaphane and if you don't have time for that then adding mustard powder to them will do the same thing

Emma JC
Find your vegan soulmate or just a friend. www.spiritualmatchmaking.com

Reactions: Brian W and Lou
As @Lou said, blending does not remove the fibre. However, it does break it down and that is what makes the sugar more freely available. Dentists will tell you what a huge difference this makes; eating an apple and a banana will not affect your teeth or blood sugar all that quickly whereas putting the chopped apple and the banana in a blender and then drinking the resulting smoothie will have a similar effect to drinking a bottle of your high-sugar fizzy drink of choice. Sorry, @Lou, but I have to contradict you very strongly here.

I hadn't really thought about that at all.

Looked it up and got some recommendations for mitigation

In life, too much is bad for you so drink smoothies in moderation. There are other ideas you may adopt to reduce the damaging effects.​
  • Make your own smoothie so there is no added sugar and also you can adjust the sweetness by diluting with water
  • Drink through a straw to avoid contacting your teeth
  • Reduce the frequency of drinking it. You are better to consume it quickly rather than safe it for later.
  • Enjoy it with a meal. If you have food to eat, you automatically produce saliva, which helps to neutralise any acids. The fruit acids and sugars can be removed by saliva.

• Informative
Reactions: Emma JC
Of course it helps if you have a Vitamax.
Yes, or another (much cheaper) blender (which does it at least as well).

Many thanks for the link. Yes indeed, there are endless combinations (also with fruits and others).

Actually fiber is probably beneficial if you are trying to lose weight.
So why throw away the fiber then? Maybe because it made the drink too thick.

not sure where the misunderstanding is.
Imagine what 10 carrots look like and imagine what it might be like to eat 10.
Now imagine yourself happily drinking one cup of carrot juice.
You are getting all the nutrients of 10 carrots, minus the fiber.
OK, the benefit of being able to (faster) consume more carrots in liquid form, I understand. I like carrots, so I would rather eat them as a (kind of) snack over a longer time. I am wondering how much sugar a (respectively 10) carrot has (which might have that negative effect when consumed without the fiber).

with citrus fruit, the vast majority of the vitamin C is in the rind
Didn't know that, thought they are (as it is with apples and pears) UNDER the rind / schale (so I would not need to sorry about losing nutrients, even if washing very long). Just wondering if the rind from a lemon is edible. It's used grated for cakes, so apparently it is. So how might it taste if you blend it in the blender?

Dentists will tell you what a huge difference this makes; eating an apple and a banana will not affect your teeth or blood sugar all that quickly whereas putting the chopped apple and the banana in a blender and then drinking the resulting smoothie will have a similar effect to drinking a bottle of your high-sugar fizzy drink of choice.
I've always heard that no matter in what form a fruit is eaten, as long as the ENTIRE content of a fruit is eaten, it always has the same effect (so no disadvantages) on the body (except for the teeth, I haven't heard anything about that). It would of course be unfavorable for the sugar to have a negative effect just because the fruit was ingested as a liquid (even with the fiber).

saw a quick video from Dr Greger last night - cruciferous vegetables 45 minutes chopped in advance, before cooking releases their sulforaphane and if you don't have time for that then adding mustard powder to them will do the same thing
Hope that not more vegetables and fruits have such special features (one had to keep in mind), otherwise it will be even more complicated (than it already is).

If you pick a good apple from a bunch of slightly mouldy ones and give that apple a quick rinse and polish before putting it in your fruit bowl
But how can nutrients be lost from an apple by washing, since they are inside the apple?

how much vitamin C will leach out into the water even in that short time.
But the vitamin still is usable for the body? So if you use the consume the water (further processed, used for other meals or so) the vitamin is not lost?

Drink through a straw to avoid contacting your teeth
Never thought that could help. I wouldn't have thought that such a kind of (brief) contact with the teeth could have a negative effect on the teeth. In addition, because it is natural sugar.

...Just wondering if the rind from a lemon is edible. It's used grated for cakes, so apparently it is. So how might it taste if you blend it in the blender?
Great, if you don’t include the white pith.

I've always heard that no matter in what form a fruit is eaten, as long as the ENTIRE content of a fruit is eaten, it always has the same effect (so no disadvantages) on the body (except for the teeth, I haven't heard anything about that). It would of course be unfavorable for the sugar to have a negative effect just because the fruit was ingested as a liquid (even with the fiber).
Because the sugar is made that much more available by the blending, it can cause similar blood sugar spikes to those from normal sugary drinks. That isn’t good or bad; it just “is”. As long as you’re aware of it, you can deal appropriately with it. A quick sugar rush may be exactly what you want.....

But how can nutrients be lost from an apple by washing, since they are inside the apple?
The skin is not impermeable. It is a good barrier, but not perfect. No skin is.

But the vitamin still is usable for the body? So if you use the consume the water (further processed, used for other meals or so) the vitamin is not lost?
If you consume the water immediately, yes that will still help. However, vitamin C degrades faster through heat so saving it to use next day won’t help much (except for any more stable nutrients that also leached into the water).

That said, most people don’t save the water they cook their veggies in, and this is why steaming is so much better nutritionally.

Great, if you don’t include the white pith.
So one separately has to grate it with a grater in the mixer (instead of mixing the whole citron). Is the same for an orange (regarding amount of nutrients in the peel and use of the peel)?

Because the sugar is made that much more available by the blending, it can cause similar blood sugar spikes to those from normal sugary drinks. That isn’t good or bad; it just “is”.
But it is bad if you drink the drink (too fast so that the sugar has a negative effect) in a time one normally / often is drunk

But if you drink the drink at a time when it is usually/often drunk (too fast so that the sugar has a negative effect), it's not good for the body, is it? So that is why you said this, I assume:
As long as you’re aware of it, you can deal appropriately with it.

I assume, there are a lot of other nutrients that are made much more available by the blending or which are then made available in the first place?

A quick sugar rush may be exactly what you want.....
Why?

The skin is not impermeable. It is a good barrier, but not perfect. No skin is.
So I should stop washing fruits too long (which I probably do). You never know, you can't tell when a fruit is really freed from chemicals, germs and harmful substances as much as possible when it is washed. That's why I'd rather wash them longer than too short.

That said, most people don’t save the water they cook their veggies in, and this is why steaming is so much better nutritionally.
I consume the fruits, vegatable only as raw food anyway because of the (high) lost of nutrients when heating them.

So one separately has to grate it with a grater in the mixer (instead of mixing the whole citron). Is the same for an orange (regarding amount of nutrients in the peel and use of the peel)?
Yes, the percentage is about the same.

But if you drink the drink at a time when it is usually/often drunk (too fast so that the sugar has a negative effect), it's not good for the body, is it? So that is why you said this, I assume:
I won’t say it is necessarily bad since I don’t know what is good or bad for everyone’s body in every situation. However, I will say a lot of experts tell us it is not normally healthy to repeatedly put your body through big changes up and down in blood sugar.
A quick sugar rush may be exactly what you want.....
Why?
If, for instance, you are doing some sort of sport and need a quick input of energy, or are a diabetic who has found themselves hypoglycaemic. As I said before, I don’t know everyone’s situation all the time.

I assume, there are a lot of other nutrients that are made much more available by the blending or which are then made available in the first place?
Yes, absolutely.

So I should stop washing fruits too long (which I probably do). You never know, you can't tell when a fruit is really freed from chemicals, germs and harmful substances as much as possible when it is washed. That's why I'd rather wash them longer than too short.
Chemicals are the only thing to really be concerned about. A normal healthy body is easily capable of dealing with the germs naturally found on fruit and veg, and tests show your body becomes healthier if exposed to some germs. It’s like taking exercise for your immune system.

Chemicals are the only thing to really be concerned about. A normal healthy body is easily capable of dealing with the germs naturally found on fruit and veg, and tests show your body becomes healthier if exposed to some germs. It’s like taking exercise for your immune system.
Such an exposure would only happen accidentally and unnoticed (i.e. not intentionally brought about), I assume, almost sounds like it bears some resemblance to a vaccination.

Such an exposure would only happen accidentally and unnoticed (i.e. not intentionally brought about), I assume, almost sounds like it bears some resemblance to a vaccination.
Such exposure is almost inevitable, but no, it’s not intentional. However, studies have shown children raised on farms are often those with the fewest illnesses. This is because playing in natural dirty surroundings exposes them to plenty of normally occurring germs and so their immune systems learn to cope. If you live in an aseptic environment, your body loses its ability to fight infection and when it then encounters a bacterium it doesn’t “know” about, the bacterium has an advantage.

If you don’t bother washing apples, your body will deal quite happily with any germs present, so no problem.

Reactions: Brian W
If you don’t bother washing apples, your body will deal quite happily with any germs present, so no problem.
If one's own body hadn't lost its ability to fight infection. I've often heard that people don't wash so-called organic fruit at all. So not doing it can actually be beneficial (different than I thought). So if you only bought so-called organic fruit and vegetables or had fruit / vegetables from your own garden, which were not treated with chemicals, you could or should perhaps even consume / use them unwashed to strengthen the immune system.

• Agree
Reactions: majorbloodnok
If one's own body hadn't lost its ability to fight infection. I've often heard that people don't wash so-called organic fruit at all. So not doing it can actually be beneficial (different than I thought). So if you only bought so-called organic fruit and vegetables or had fruit / vegetables from your own garden, which were not treated with chemicals, you could or should perhaps even consume / use them unwashed to strengthen the immune system.
No. I don't think so.

organic growers do use some approved pesticides very minimally, and you should wash off organic produce just as you do regular produce, but going for organic is the best way to protect yourself from the most concerning pesticides.​

Continue to thoroughly rinse and scrub fruits and vegetables, no matter if they're organic or conventional. Just because a produce item has an organic label doesn't automatically mean the food is safe to eat without a proper wash, which often just requires your hands and warm water. The FDA provides seven helpful tips for cleaning fruits and vegetables so that you avoid ingesting bacteria that can lead to foodborne illness.​

Allergist and immunologist James Fernandez, MD, PhD, says there’s no scientific evidence to suggest that temporarily stepping up your cleaning game is dangerous to your immune health.​

Despite some rumors there is no danger to weakening your immune system from following good hygiene.
The stuff the Major cited has Mostly been debunked. I think there still has some stuff with asthma in children but I'm not at all clear on that.

Regardless, you still should wash your vegetables. Even the organic ones. Besides that even organic veggies might have chemicals on it, they also might have bacteria on it.

Sometimes dirty produce can result in foodborne sickness. We have seen recent outbreaks of veggies with E. coli, Salmonella, and more,” Janette Nesheiwat, MD, says. “This can result in nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, stomach cramps, and fever, along with dehydration.”​

• Agree
Reactions: Emma JC

The stuff the Major cited has Mostly been debunked.
Would you care to say what, please?

I think it’s worth me reminding that at no point have I suggested what someone should or shouldn’t do, and that I mentioned earlier that chemicals still have to be taken into consideration.

Reactions: Brian W
Would you care to say what, please?

hygiene and immunity
I think it’s worth me reminding that at no point have I suggested what someone should or shouldn’t do, and that I mentioned earlier that chemicals still have to be taken into consideration.
People Should wash their food. Not just to remove chemicals/ contaminants, but to make sure you aren't getting bacteria

organic growers do use some approved pesticides very minimally
Oops, thought they weren't treated with chemicals at all. But even if they weren't, they might still get the chemicals from neighboring (maybe non-organic) fields.

Federal health officials estimate that nearly 48 million people are sickened by food contaminated with harmful germs each year
Holy...that's unbelievable. So statistically every American would be sickened by food once every seven years.

It seems eating chocolate bars is far safer than eating fruits and vegetables (well, at least until you get too fat from them).

Rinse produce BEFORE you peel it
So one should wash (what I already do anyway) even avocados, oranges and such kind of produces.

Thank you very much! Great links, great informations, summarized briefly.

hygiene and immunity

People Should wash their food. Not just to remove chemicals/ contaminants, but to make sure you aren't getting bacteria
How on earth did we survive before we started washing our food? I rarely wash mine and I have had no stomach issues in decades.

• Agree
Reactions: silva