High electricity costs for dehydrator-how to determine them?

Datel

Forum Senior
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
I bought the COSORI Premium Stainless Steel Food Dehydrator CP267-FD-RXS (https://www.amazon.de/COSORI-Dörrau...d+dehydrator+cp267-fd-rxs,aps,257&sr=8-2&th=1). According to what I measured with a power meter, the power consumption would be enormous (the device is practically not useable), when drying with only 42°C / 108°F (raw food, do not need higher temperatures). It is shown that the Cosori consumes between approx. 62 watts (when the heating element automatically is switched off for may be 10, 20 seconds after reaching the desired temperature, I assume) and approx. 1200 watts (when the heating element automatically is switched on for may be 10, 20 seconds to keep 42°C / 108°F, I assume).

No idea why the power meter shows 1200 watts, because the Cosori has only 600 w.

So far I have measurement results or get information that dehydrating a day should somehow cost about 3 to about 8 $, which I could not imagine on the one hand. That made the device unusable.

I then additionally used another power meter that showed half of the power consumption. So obviously one or both of them do not work / are unreliable.

How much electricity does the device consume when drying for 24 hours, timer set to 24 hours, at 42°C / 108°F? And how much does it cost with a current electricity price, e.g. mine of 55.32 cents / kWh? So: how much does a day (24 hours) of drying at 42°C / 108°F cost at an electricity price of 55.32 cents / kWh?

I could imagine that you won't find all the technical data you need to determine the power consumption on the Internet (such as the data that shows how long the heating element is alternately switched on / off) or a data sheet supplied with the dehydrator, so that it is not possible to determine the correct, a usable value of the power consumption.

Is such a power consumption normal for a dehydrator? Are there dehydrators with an acceptable power consumption?

Sorry, I'm not familiar with the details of electricity usage. However, I believe I have read that air flow is actually at least as important as temperature when you are dehydrating. I am fortunate to live in a warm, sunny place and can often dry things by leaving them in the sun. I make sure they have airflow from under, by placing them on something that has holes in it, raised up with anything I have on hand, like bricks. They need protection from birds and critters, so I invert a wire basket on top. I do not worry too much about bugs. I'm not feeding my dried fruit to anyone else, and I feel that I don't mind the risk for myself. You can add a fan to both discourage bugs and to make sure airflow is very good. Most dehydrators include not only a heating element but also a fan. Using ambient weather as your 'heater', you can save electricity since the fan hopefully doesn't use as much-- though you can check with your meters!

I bring my tray(s) inside at night.
I pick over the fruit at least daily to take out pieces that are dried enough, and to turn the fruit so that it dries evenly.
I store the pieces (apricot halves, fig halves) in not-too deep layers in containers with no lids, and I don't store them for as long as you would store-bought dried fruit.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: PTree15
Yes, some nice thoughts, thank you.

However, I believe I have read that air flow is actually at least as important as temperature when you are dehydrating.
OK, I will try the lowest possible temperature (with a longer time) at next occasion, 35° C | 95° F (instead of 42°C / 108°F), maybe not that big difference. It is not possible to turn the heater off (running the fan only, which would probably be very cheap), I assume. Perhaps the airflow would be enough at room temperature (with much more time). That would be great, would be possible to produce it very cheaply with another divice.

I have an apartment, so no plot of land, but a balcony (but I guess, I would have to fight some pretty strong birds for the food here). But during Winter dehydrating outside is not possible anyway here, I would think. Maybe I could try using the heating for dehydrating, put some tray or so on it.

Yes, storing would be easy, dehydrated food has a very long shelf life anyway, I guess.