News Livekindly News out today

17 Best Resources For Going VEGAN

Here are 17 resources for new vegans.

A vegan lifestyle is a compassionate lifestyle. Vegans abstain from eating animal products, avoid textiles made from animal skins, and choose products that have not been tested on animals.

Whether you are a new vegan, or if you have been vegan for a while and are looking for extra tips - this video is for you! First, let’s explore the must-have vegan apps on your phone. Apps like “Is It Vegan?” and “Cruelty-Cutter” allow you to scan products to determine if they are vegan. The “Good On You” app promotes ethical fashion lines that value the welfare of its workers.

Next, get educated through amazing resources like Dr. Greger’s website NutritionFacts.org, discover the impact of animal agriculture on the climate in the documentary “Cowspiracy” on Netflix, and expand your mind with vegan podcasts.

Get cooking with an array of top-rated vegan cookbooks, and learn to remake vegan fried chicken with YouTubers like EdgyVeg.

Finally, be prepared for your next trip with vegan travel apps and resources.

Happy Cow will help you find new restaurants, either abroad or in your own neighborhood. Meet like-minded people at vegan socials via the Meetup app.

sorry I am late with this - was busy on Friday :starshower:

Emma JC

The OSCARS Go VEGAN

The Oscars is the latest award show to go vegan, following the trend set by the Golden Globes last month.

KFC trials more vegan chicken by introducing Beyond Fried Chicken to locations in Nashville, Tennessee and Charlotte, North Carolina.

The Swiss public will vote on a proposed constitutional amendment that guarantees better welfare for factory-farmed animals.

Sussex is now the first UK council to ban the fishing practice called trawling, in order to mitigate climate change.

France will ban the controversial, commonplace practice of culling male chicks by live-shredding them.

The World Health Organization has declared the coronavirus a global health emergency, and it has been linked to wildlife markets.

Brits must cut their beef, lamb, and dairy consumption by 20 percent, according to a new environmental report.

Beyond Burgers are now available in more than 1,700 Denny’s restaurants across the U.S. and Canada.

13 of The BEST Vegan FINE DINING Restaurants

With Valentine’s day around the corner, here are 13 of the best vegan fine dining restaurants.

Across the globe, vegan fine dining is gaining popularity. Sophisticated high-end cuisine comes in multiple courses, and is often accompanied by vegan wine.

Here are the top 13 vegan fine-dining restaurants around the world.

1. The Ravens, Mendocino, California. This restaurant is part of the Stanford Inn Eco-Resort. It is known for its organic wines and sustainable ingredients like sea palm.

2. Stem + Glory, London, UK. This spot has a few “best restaurant” titles under its belt. Try the Singapore ‘Crab’ Salad with tofu-based vegan crabmeat, or the Flamingo Rendang with wild pink oyster ‘flamingo’ mushrooms.

3. Avant Garden, New York City, New York. This spot is loved by vegans and meat-eaters. Created by New York City restaurateur Ravi De Rossi, dishes like the Calasparra rice paella do not disappoint.

4. Casa Planta, Manuel Antonio, Costa Rica. Vegan celebrity chef Matthew Kenney is set to open his latest venture in early 2020. The menu will feature raw vegan cuisine made from the fresh aromatic fruits and vegetables that Costa Rica has to offer.

5. Mozaic, Ubud, Bali. According to Mozaic, it has a reputation for serving some of the best vegan and vegetarian food in Ubud. Though the restaurant itself is not fully vegan, they offer a six to eight-course tasting menu for vegans and vegetarians and all meals are made fresh to order.

6. Kopps, Berlin, Germany. One of Berlin's 80 vegan restaurants, Kopps offers a high-end atmosphere and dishes like a grilled artichoke with vegan caviar.

7. Planta, Toronto, Canada. At Planta Yorkville, located on Bay Street, the menu replaces meat with appropriately textured vegetables. The “crab” cakes are made from palm hearts and a “tuna” tartare-style dish is made from beetroot and served with avocado chutney.

8. Paperbark, Sydney, Australia. Paperbark specializes in creating dishes from native Australian ingredients, such as wattle seeds and pepper berries.

9. Browns Bonds Hill, Derry/Londonderry, Northern Ireland. Though not a vegan restaurant, Browns Bonds Hill offers a luxurious seven-course vegan tasting menu.

10. Sprig and Vine, New Hope, Pennsylvania. Using the freshest, organic ingredients, the Sprig and Vine creates elaborate dishes such as edamame falafel with lemon kosho tahini and beet and lemon-almond ricotta ravioli.

11. 416, Tel Aviv, Israel. The restaurant offers chef-operated fine dining, and also has a cocktail bar. It is famous for its vegan seitan steak. 12. Plant, Food + Wine, Venice Beach, California. Another Matthew Kenney restaurant, Plant, Food + Wine in Venice, California has a wide selection of locally-sourced, beautifully presented plant-based dishes.

13. VĂ€xthuset, Stockholm, Sweden. Upmarket VĂ€xthuset in Sweden’s capital Stockholm makes all its vegan dishes from seasonal ingredients and all of its wines are handcrafted.

Emma JC

• Informative
Reactions: Hog and shyvas
13 of The BEST Vegan FINE DINING Restaurants

With Valentine’s day around the corner, here are 13 of the best vegan fine dining restaurants.

Across the globe, vegan fine dining is gaining popularity. Sophisticated high-end cuisine comes in multiple courses, and is often accompanied by vegan wine.

Here are the top 13 vegan fine-dining restaurants around the world.

7. Planta, Toronto, Canada. At Planta Yorkville, located on Bay Street, the menu replaces meat with appropriately textured vegetables. The “crab” cakes are made from palm hearts and a “tuna” tartare-style dish is made from beetroot and served with avocado chutney.

8. Paperbark, Sydney, Australia. Paperbark specializes in creating dishes from native Australian ingredients, such as wattle seeds and pepper berries.

9. Browns Bonds Hill, Derry/Londonderry, Northern Ireland. Though not a vegan restaurant, Browns Bonds Hill offers a luxurious seven-course vegan tasting menu.

10. Sprig and Vine, New Hope, Pennsylvania. Using the freshest, organic ingredients, the Sprig and Vine creates elaborate dishes such as edamame falafel with lemon kosho tahini and beet and lemon-almond ricotta ravioli.

11. 416, Tel Aviv, Israel. The restaurant offers chef-operated fine dining, and also has a cocktail bar. It is famous for its vegan seitan steak. 12. Plant, Food + Wine, Venice Beach, California. Another Matthew Kenney restaurant, Plant, Food + Wine in Venice, California has a wide selection of locally-sourced, beautifully presented plant-based dishes.

13. VĂ€xthuset, Stockholm, Sweden. Upmarket VĂ€xthuset in Sweden’s capital Stockholm makes all its vegan dishes from seasonal ingredients and all of its wines are handcrafted.

Emma JC

My cousin doesn't live far from New Hope. Maybe the next time I'm down that way, she'll come with me. She calls herself vegan-curious, so she'd be up for trying some fine dining. Planta in Toronto sounds intriguing.

Reactions: Emma JC
This week's vegan news:

Kim Kardashian West is plant-based now, and she is raising her kids that way too.

Joaquin Phoenix destroys the dairy industry in his Oscars acceptance speech.

Florida gets its first vegan drive-thru.

Unilever-owned drugstore beauty brand Suave is now cruelty-free.

Nestlé just partnered with two Canadian vegan protein manufacturers to source ingredients for its plant-based products.

Research indicates that more African Americans are going vegan at a faster rate than white people.

The oldest ag-gag law in the U.S. has been ruled unconstitutional.

The price of meat may go up in the European Union to reflect its taxing impact on the environment.

Emma JC

it's Tuesday

Emma JC

How Did MEAT Cause The CORONAVIRUS?

As of February 18th, the Coronavirus has over 73,000 reported cases in 25 countries, with most cases stemming from mainland China. Now named COVID-19, the virus originated in Wuhan at a seafood market that also sold wild game - including bats, civets, snakes, and foxes. Scientists have identified a 96.2% genetic similarity between COVID-19 and a bat virus, and a 79.5% genetic similarity to SARS.

Viruses can mutate and jump from species to species. Due to the outbreak's ties to the Wuhan seafood market, it has been shut down temporarily. Environmental activists have called for a permanent ban on such markets, due to the cramped and unsanitary conditions the animals are forced to stay in - a breeding ground for bacteria and viruses.

Other major disease outbreaks have had ties to animal product consumption. Mad Cow disease, also known as Creutzfeldt-Jakob’s disease, originated in - you guessed it - cows. They were fed diseased sheep, infected by a prion called Scrapie, which also caused neurological damage. Banned from selling the sheep meat, farmers fed these diseased "waste products" to its cow herds, which mutated and infected humans.

Salmonella and e. Coli are among some of the other risks of consuming animal products. In April 2019, an e. Coli outbreak linked to ground beef sickened 209 people in 10 states. In 2019, the CDC linked minor outbreaks of salmonella to ground beef, frozen tuna, and ground turkey .

As disease crises and health issues continue to surface, the need to address the treatment of animals is paramount. A global shift away from animal meat could save countless lives.

Reactions: Hog and Lou
DAIRY Just Made LENA DUNHAM Vegan AF

This week’s vegan news:

Nike launches a new line of vegan shoes made from trash, called “Space Hippie.”

Joaquin Phoenix’s Oscars speech made Lena Dunham go vegan, and Lewis Hamilton praises the actor for his activism.

The FDA will allow the adoption and transfer of healthy, retired lab animals to sanctuaries.

Wersut Seguni’s Indonesian Traveling Dolphin Circus, known as the “world’s cruelest dolphin circus,” will no longer travel with its captive dolphins.

Muscle Food is selling “make your own” vegan bacon kits.

Tim Hortons is launching vegan almond milk at all its Canadian locations

Vegan eggs are now being served in college, healthcare facilities, and corporate cafeterias throughout the U.S.

Trader Joe’s is developing vegan milk chocolate bars.

Emma JC

Do ENVIRONMENTALISTS Actually Need to DITCH MEAT?

Is it possible to be a meat-eating environmentalist?

As the United Nations' Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change has warned us, we have less than 10 years to mitigate climate catastrophe. The report called for “unprecedented changes” to all aspects of society to prevent warming beyond this level. Should ditching meat be part of this?

According to the Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations, the global livestock industries account for 7.1 gigatonnes of carbon dioxide-equivalent per year, representing 14.5% of all human-caused greenhouse gas emissions. It also notes that 26% of the world's arable land is used for livestock, not to mention that 33% of all cropland is dedicated to growing animal feed.

Deforestation is a huge issue, as 1.5 soccer fields are cleared in the Amazon Rainforest every hour to make room for grazing cattle.

There is also the issue of water availability - raising animals for food uses 1/3 of our potable water supply.

Yet, 700 million people across the globe suffer from water scarcity.

Ocean dead zones have been linked to livestock manure and agricultural run-off. As ocean temperatures rise, coral reefs are dying and the water is becoming more acidic as a result.

Ocean acidification makes it harder for marine ecosystems to thrive.

Emma JC

Reactions: Sax, Lou and Hog
it's a good one

Emma JC

HARRISON FORD Ditches MEAT

This week's vegan news:

Harrison Ford no longer eats meat or dairy. The Star Wars and Indiana Jones star made the announcement on the Ellen Show.

Los Angeles banned the use of wild and exotic animals for entertainment purposes.

Calvin Klein, AllSaints and other major fashion labels have officially ditched fur.

Bill Gates taste tests vegan burgers, and believes there is no good reason to eat beef anymore.

White Castle is now the first major fast-food chain to offer vegan cheese.

Amazon CEO Jeff Bezos is committing $10 billion to fight climate change through the new Bezos Earth Fund.

The Spanish government is investing in vegan meat for the first time ever.

A day after his Oscars speech, Joaquin Phoenix saves a mother cow and her calf from slaughter with Farm Sanctuary.

A former automation engineer has created a vegan leather made from upcycled temple flowers. It’s called Fleather.

Reactions: Sax, Lou and Hog
from Tuesday...

Emma JC
13 Must-Drive VEGAN Electric Cars

These 13 electric cars are eco and vegan-friendly. Innovators in the automotive field, brands like Tesla, Nissan, and Porsche are paving the way for the future of cars. As people are waking up to the climate crisis, many are concerned about the impact of gasoline cars.

Despite criticisms against them, electric cars have been shown to be 3x less polluting than its fuel-burning counterparts.

Leather interiors are also being overhauled by car companies. Leather poses health risks to tannery workers, and to the environment. The chromium used to dye animal hides is carcinogenic according to several health agencies.

Kinder to animals as well, vegan leather and recycled plastics are making their way into the latest car models.

1. Tesla Model 3
2. Nissan Leaf
3. BMW i3
4. Fisker Ocean
5. Volvo’s Polestar 2
6. Land Rover’s Range Rover Evoque, Range Rover Velar and Jaguar I-Pace
7. Electric Ford Bronco
8. Bentley EXP 100 GT
9. Porsche Taycan
10. Subaru Outback
11. Volkswagen Space Vizzion Concept
12. Toyota Prius
13. Renault Twizy

Reactions: Lou, David3 and Hog
and from today...

Emma JC

STARBUCKS VEGAN Sausages

This week's vegan news:

Starbucks launches vegan breakfast sandwiches made with Beyond Meat.

Cadbury's teases that a vegan milk chocolate bar is in development.

Vegan mac and cheese is now at Trader Joe's.

Recognizing the Netherlands' annual "National Week Without Meat," Rotterdam’s KFC will go meat-free for an entire week. KFC has introduced vegan chicken in locations across the globe.

The London School of Economics and Political Science will implement a beef ban across campus in an effort to mitigate climate change. Goldsmith's issued a similar ban last year.

Panera Bread will no longer charge extra for vegan milk, and these other coffee chains are following suit.

One-third of plant and animal species could be wiped out in 50 years’ time, according to new research.

UK property development firm Igloo Regeneration has banned expensing meat, and will only provide vegetarian meals.

Reactions: Lou and Hog
@ Emma JC - This is a great thread. I like the optimism.

@ Lou - The availability of vegan food is both a blessing and a curse. I was tired and not in the mood to cook tonight. I thought, ahhhh, Impossible Whopper, that will shut my family up. Then I moaned to myself when I paid $19.00 for six Impossible Whoppers. I had a peanut butter sandwich for supper tonight.

from Tuesday...

Emma JC
13 Must-Drive VEGAN Electric Cars

These 13 electric cars are eco and vegan-friendly. Innovators in the automotive field, brands like Tesla, Nissan, and Porsche are paving the way for the future of cars. As people are waking up to the climate crisis, many are concerned about the impact of gasoline cars.

Despite criticisms against them, electric cars have been shown to be 3x less polluting than its fuel-burning counterparts.

Leather interiors are also being overhauled by car companies. Leather poses health risks to tannery workers, and to the environment. The chromium used to dye animal hides is carcinogenic according to several health agencies.

Kinder to animals as well, vegan leather and recycled plastics are making their way into the latest car models.

1. Tesla Model 3
2. Nissan Leaf
3. BMW i3
4. Fisker Ocean
5. Volvo’s Polestar 2
6. Land Rover’s Range Rover Evoque, Range Rover Velar and Jaguar I-Pace
7. Electric Ford Bronco
8. Bentley EXP 100 GT
9. Porsche Taycan
10. Subaru Outback
11. Volkswagen Space Vizzion Concept
12. Toyota Prius
13. Renault Twizy

My wife and I bought a plug-in Prius Prime in 2018, to replace our 20-year-old Geo Prizm. Price is not bad ($28,000 for base model, before federal, state, and utility incentives), and the car only burns about 1 gallon of petrol per month. Easy to plug in at home. Almost all of its fuel is electricity from the wall socket.

My wife and I bought a plug-in Prius Prime in 2018, to replace our 20-year-old Geo Prizm. Price is not bad ($28,000 for base model, before federal, state, and utility incentives), and the car only burns about 1 gallon of petrol per month. Easy to plug in at home. Almost all of its fuel is electricity from the wall socket.

Hi David3,

How much more electricity did you use each month?

My sister has the BMW i3. and solar on the roof.

The car is fun to drive, too. Very peppy. Reminds me of a go-cart. But the controls are petty stupid. I think BMW just does things differently cause they can not because it's better. Her model came with a leather steering wheel and lambskin seats. But I think those are optional now.

Reactions: David3 and Emma JC
Hi David3,

How much more electricity did you use each month?

Hi Bob,

Our electric bill increased, but our petrol bill decreased much more.

Our 2018 plug-in Prius Prime has an electricity cost of about 5 cents per mile.

Our 1997 Geo Prizm had a petrol cost of about 11 cents per mile.

My math is done with California's costs for electricity and petrol. In another state, the cost comparison would be slightly different.

Here is the U.S. Department of Energy's side-by-side comparison of the 2 vehicles: https://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/Find.do?action=sbs&id=39882&id=13352 . Their comparison assumes U.S. national average costs for petrol and electricity.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bob Who and Emma JC
Is Vegan Meat ACTUALLY BETTER for The ENVIRONMENT?

Is vegan meat better for the planet?

It is a lot more efficient to produce vegan meat than animal meat.

It requires fewer resources - making alternative meat out of legumes and grains cuts out the middleman.

This also results in fewer greenhouse gas emissions as cows produce a lot of methane.

Vegan meat is also better for animals, for our health, and it costs less money.

Reactions: Hog and Lou
The MCFLURRY Goes VEGAN | Vegan News

This week's vegan news:

The McFlurry goes vegan.

China bans wild animal meat to curb coronavirus.

Japan's Softbank invests in Latin American plant-based food tech.

Serena Williams just launched a vegan leather line to help save the planet.

IKEA just launched vegan red velvet muffins.

This vegan beer supports farm animals thanks to Ricky Gervais.

Alaska Airlines ends 40-year sponsorship of the Iditarod sled dog race.

"Hollywood Vegans" are blamed for hurting the meat industry.

Reactions: Hog
11 Celebrities BEFORE and AFTER Going VEGAN

An increasing number of celebrities are embracing a vegan diet - for health reasons, for the planet, and for the animals. From rappers to actors, to TV personalities, many are adopting a plant-based diet. Here are 11 celebrities and their vegan journey before and after.

Kevin Smith - The filmmaker went vegan in 2018 after suffering a massive heart attack. According to his ethical vegan daughter, Harley Quinn Smith, Kevin Smith is now the healthiest he has ever been.

Evanna Lynch - The Harry Potter star adopted a vegan lifestyle for ethical reasons. She previously suffered from an eating disorder, and though it was not a magic cure, exploring vegan nutrition helped mend her relationship with food.

Will.I.Am - After a trip to the doctor, Black Eyed Peas frontman Will.I.Am went vegan to help lower his blood pressure and cholesterol. Now, he also sees the ethical side of living vegan and has rapped about it in recent hits.

Simon Cowell - The English TV personality went plant-based ahead of his 60th birthday. He noticed a massive shift in his health and energy levels after making the switch.

Lewis Hamilton - Six-time Formula 1 Champion Lewis Hamilton went vegan in 2017 after watching "What the Health." He routinely uses his Instagram account, with a reach of over 15 million, to educate his fans on animal welfare issues.

Miley Cyrus - The star went vegan in 2014 following the death of her dog Floyd. Cyrus leads by example by sporting ethical vegan fashion on the red carpet.

Mena Suvari - Like Hamilton, Suvari adopted a plant-based diet after watching 2017’s “What the Health.” Since going vegan, she has overhauled her wardrobe and donated all of her animal-based clothes.

Kim Kardashian West - In 2019, KKW revealed that she started following a plant-based diet to help manage her health conditions. Her kids are following suit. That same year, the fashion mogul had all of her furs redone in faux and is now 100% fur-free.

Steve Harvey - TV host Steve Harvey ditched animal products in early 2019. He has been benefiting from the plant-based diet, claiming that his cholesterol levels are even lower than his cardiologists’ levels.

Craig Robinson - “The Office” and “Brooklyn 99” star Craig Robinson ditched meat and alcohol in 2016. What started out as a trial for six months has now turned into a full shift to a vegan lifestyle.

RZA - The Wu Tang Clan rapper ditched meat in the 90s, and has since gone vegan. While eating chicken wings, RZA says he made the connection between meat and animals. He told podcast host Joe Rogan: “I never ate it again.”

Reactions: Hog