Less beef, more beans': experts say world needs a new diet

I've seen similar recommendations from almost everyone. Even the big WFPB diet guys have very similar recommendations.

IMHO, what doesn't get emphasized enough is the phrase "less than". As in Less Than one serving of dairy a day and less than 2 eggs a week. Those are not minimums but maximums.

I think they keep the meat, dairy, and eggs in the diet for several reasons. Maybe the most important is that a diet that includes NO dairy, eggs or meat would be "unacceptable" to a large percentage of the population. Then there is also the concept that just small amounts of animal products don't do a lot of damage to a person's health.

And of course, if the whole world went vegan, what would happen to all the livestock? :p

But yep, if we keep taking steps in the right direction, even if they are baby steps.... well at least it's not in the wrong direction.

Anyway. Good stuff.

I did an analysis of the Australian Dietary Guidelines and it was full of contradiction... On the one hand it says decrease meat and on the other hand it is a significant portion of your daily plate as depicted on the pie chart.

No wonder so many people are confused.

Not to mention the horrendous low carb diets; people eat meat without fibre and think that it is healthy because they have dumped a couple of kgs.

I am forever fighting this battle - even after I explain the science, people still don't get it.

*flips table* lol

Reactions: Emma JC
@ betiPT

Out of curiosity, I looked up the Australian Dietary Guidelines.

the only thing that I think they got completely wrong is dairy. Dairy is not required for good health. Just ask the 600,000 aborigines who are lactose intolerant.

Just like The Canadian one needed to emphasize the phrase "less than", the Australian one needs more emphasis on the phrase "at least". I think once you understand that "at least" is not the same as "just", it looks pretty good. As in," include vegetables at least twice a day" does not mean just twice a day.

Also, no one needs to include fish in their diet every week. But that seemed to be added as an afterthought.

Wait, what?

a. 60% of the population is aboriginal
or
b. 60% of Aborigines are lactose intolerant.

Must be B. I think aborigines are a small percentage of the general pop.
But I would have guessed that more than 60% of Aborigines are lactose intolerant. I thought that gene was dominant.

Wait, what?

a. 60% of the population is aboriginal
or
b. 60% of Aborigines are lactose intolerant.

Must be B. I think aborigines are a small percentage of the general pop.
But I would have guessed that more than 60% of Aborigines are lactose intolerant. I thought that gene was dominant.
"Approximately 65 percent of the human population has a reduced ability to digest lactose after infancy. Lactose intolerance in adulthood is most prevalent in people of East Asian descent, affecting more than 90 percent of adults in some of these communities."

https://ghr.nlm.nih.gov/condition/lactose-intolerance#statistics

Reactions: betiPT
I was reading that scientists can now tell the difference between a carbon molecule that was created by a corn plant as opposed to one being created by any other plant. (look up C-4 and the isotope carbon -13 if you're curious).

Up until recently, South Americans were mostly corn and North Americans were not. but that has changed in modern times. Thanks to corn-fed cattle, chicken, pigs, not to mention HCF, corn starch, corn flour, cornmeal, cereals, snack foods, and popcorn.

So if we analyzed you, we might not be able to figure out how much bean you are but we could see how little corn you are. (I bet vegans are the least corn like modern Americans).

But seriously, too many beans like too much of anything is not good. Not that the beans are bad but its "the law of increasing opportunity costs". As long as calorie intake remains the same, each extra serving of beans replaces a serving of something else, like greens or fruits or grains.

I'm guessing you want to be no more than 1/3 bean. :)

Reactions: betiPT
Dr Greger's Daily Dozen includes one and a 1/2 cups of beans a day.... it is a rare day that I eat that much but I would as I love them in all their forms. My "system" works the best when lots of beans are involved.

Emma JC

I had to fact check you - and you are right.
I knew he recommended 3 servings of beans. but for some reason, I assumed that the servings were smaller.

a serving of hummus is 3 tbsp. I thought 2 tbsp was enough. and when I use hummus on my bagel I doubt if I even put on 2 tbsp. just over 2 oz of chickpeas is a serving and I usually put that much in my salads.

another serving is 1/3 of a block of tofu. I usually cook up just 1/4.

When i do have peas I have a cup - but I don't have peas every day.

I do have soy milk at least once a day. I'm assuming that a glass of soy milk counts as a serving.