News Man with diabetes loses weight,after adopting plant-based diet

Emma JC

Forum Legend
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
this is so amazing - front and center on one of our national news site..... gotta love it.... mainstream!! Emma JC

HEALTH | News

Man with diabetes loses weight, cuts insulin needs after adopting plant-based diet

In all fairness, it's the fact that the person decreased his calories and lost weight which enabled his diabetes to go into remission.

The NHS in the UK are also doing a trial with overweight patients who are suffering with diabetes. Unfortunately, some people aren't overweight and still suffer with diabetes.

Unfortunately, some people aren't overweight and still suffer with diabetes.

Type II diabetes has now been shown to be caused by fat in the cells of the body/muscle etc which causes insulin resistance which causes the sugar to remain in the blood instead of being turned into glucose in the cells.

In the last day or two I read or watched a whole interesting article/video about the distribution of fat in the body (did I find the link here? I read so much that I can't remember where it was) and it showed that fat that builds up beneath the surface of the skin is much "safer" fat than fat that is dispersed (marbled) throughout the muscles. In the study that I read about they compared a plant-based calorie restricted diet to a SAD calorie restricted diet and the differences were amazing and there was no doubt that the plant-based people were so much healthier in more than one aspect.

So all these years of Type II diabetes being blamed on sugar and it isn't correct, it is the fat that is disrupting the proper activity of the insulin. So a person may not be overweight but if they have too much intracellular fat they can still have diabetes. So these carnivore and keto diets can be causing Type II despite people initially losing weight.

Dr Barnard :heart_eyes: and the Physician's Committee have a very comprehensive webpage on this topic.

I wish I had a better method of getting this message out to people.

Emma JC

Reactions: Lou
In all fairness, it's the fact that the person decreased his calories and lost weight which enabled his diabetes to go into remission.

The NHS in the UK are also doing a trial with overweight patients who are suffering with diabetes. Unfortunately, some people aren't overweight and still suffer with diabetes.

The peer-reviewed Adventist Health Study 2 - a very large comparative study of the health of vegans, vegetarians, and omnivores - showed that vegetarians have a much lower incidence of type 2 diabetes compared to omnivores. Here is a summary of this study's findings relative to diabetes risk, with links

Study: Adventist Health Study-2, Loma Linda, California, USA

Number of participants: Approximately 96,000 participants in the U.S. and Canada

Findings, after 2 years:
1. Vegans had 0.38 (62% lower) incidence of type 2 diabetes than the omnivores in the study, when BMI was included in the risk equations.
2. Vegans had 0.51 (49% lower) incidence of type 2 diabetes, even when BMI was removed from the risk equations. This demonstrates that the vegan diet can reduce type 2 diabetes risk, even independently of body weight.
3. Vegetarians had 0.62 (38% lower) incidence of type 2 diabetes than the omnivores in the study, when BMI was included in the risk equations.

Links:

It is difficult to get the word out effectively. In the United States, Kaiser Permanente (one of the largest health insurance companies in the U.S.), advised its physicians to recommend a whole-food plant-based diet to ALL their patients - especially those with diabetes, cardiovascular disease, hypertension, and/or obesity: https://www.thepermanentejournal.org/issues/2013/spring/5117-nutrition.html . I'm not sure how much change this generated.

Last edited:
Reactions: Emma JC
I like the Adventist Health Study for various reasons. But keep in mind that Adventists (usually) don't smoke or drink and both smoking and drinking play a role in diabetes.

Reactions: David3
It is difficult to get the word out effectively. In the United States, Kaiser Permanente (one of the largest health insurance companies in the U.S.), advised its physicians to recommend a whole-food plant-based diet to ALL their patients - especially those with diabetes, cardiovascular disease, hypertension, and/or obesity: https://www.thepermanentejournal.org/issues/2013/spring/5117-nutrition.html . I'm not sure how much change this generated.

BTW, I am a member of Kaiser and I have had several good veganish experiences with them. One time I was discussing stuff with my new doctor and somehow I let it slip that I was vegan. And he said, "I am too". (He is Hindu so his religion gets him more than halfway there).

And my dietician was very happy to learn that I was vegan. We spent a few minutes discussing Fuhrman and Gregar. She also told me that last year all her colleagues took a 30-day vegan challenge.

Reactions: Emma JC and David3
Excess sugar turns into fat. Moreover, some people are very sensitive to carbs.

''Without a doubt, sugar is bad for your health — and your waistline. But what makes it so harmful? After all, it has just 4 calories per gram.

The best way to understand the connection between sugar and weight gain is to learn about sugar metabolism. After ingestion, this additive is converted to glucose and used for energy. Excess glucose is stored as glycogen in the muscles and liver.
However, these organs have a limited capacity to store glycogen. Your liver can store about 100 grams of glycogen, while your muscles may store anywhere between 350 and 700 grams, according to a December 2015 review in Nutrition & Metabolism.
If you eat more sugar than your liver and muscles can store as glycogen, the excess will be converted to fat and deposited into adipose tissue. This process is called lipogenesis. In other words, sugar turns into fat when consumed in large amounts.''

I am no proponent of sugar and I do understand that sugar can turn into fat through lipogenesis and yet added oils or excess fats in foods are much more easily stored and turned into fat. I try to follow a WFPB lifestyle with minimal added oils and sugars and salt or SOS. When I stray from that with too many processed foods or vegan cheeses/butters etc then the weight creeps back up, if I stick to potatoes and veggies and fruits and rice and beans etc then even without exercising I can lose weight and can keep it off. Trying not to be lazy is the trick. Too much Gardein or Field Roast and it comes zooming back.

Emma JC

Your liver can store about 100 grams of glycogen, while your muscles may store anywhere between 350 and 700 grams, according to a December 2015 review in Nutrition & Metabolism.
I know a lot about this but I never knew that there were actual numbers of grams of glycogen. The body always relies on the glucose in the blood first, I think then it goes to the glycogen in the muscles that are being used and only then hits up the glycogen stored in the liver. Burning fat cells is the hardest metabolically speaking. And with all that stored glycogen you have to exercise for a long time before running out of those stores. No wonder they say that it is easier to lose weight with diet than exercise.

Yes, such good news. I was reading a health article, a doctor was recommending that you should eat fresh vegetables and also add a keto diet in your daily meal.
Then I found the best Ketogenic Diet Food from No Me Keto. It really helped me for losing weight and also maintain my diabetes.
Now, I am spending the active and energetic days of my life.

The "No Me Keto" boxes aren't really vegetarian-friendly. Pork rinds, bone broth.