Kidney Stones, Oxalates

Hrodrik

Newcomer
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan newbie
Does anyone else have kidney stone or kidney disease?
I had a crisis two months after became vegan.
Three stones. One is out, two more to go (as far as I know from de exam).
Got the stone tested and it was calcium oxalate.

My doctor only told me to stay away from red meat, drink a lot of water, e if possible with some lemon.

Only recently I realized that my diet was a little too much in oxalates.
Sweet potato, peanut butter, almonds, lot of beans, seeds...

But when I got the stones, I was still so fresh vegan.
Maybe it came from my past calcium deficient diet, and lots of meat and dairy.

I really don't know if I am in danger been vegan.
I can cut peanut butter, cutted almonds already, but beans and peas are my main protein source.

I am about to go to a new doctor soon, but I know they usually don't aprove veganism.
This week I had some pain, and it all is freaking me out.

I am trying to understand how to be in a low oxalate diet, but I think it's almost impossible.

From a quick look at some of the literature, it seems that low oxalate diets would not normally be recommended for healthy people because this sort of diet would exclude so many healthy foods and would also include so many unhealthy foods. It also seems that there is a degree of disagreement among the academics and practitioners concerning low oxalate foods. You might be best trying to find a vegan doctor to advise you as well as a non-vegan doctor - just for the sake of ensuring that you don't starve your body of good nutrients.

Reactions: Hrodrik
From a quick look at some of the literature, it seems that low oxalate diets would not normally be recommended for healthy people because this sort of diet would exclude so many healthy foods and would also include so many unhealthy foods. It also seems that there is a degree of disagreement among the academics and practitioners concerning low oxalate foods. You might be best trying to find a vegan doctor to advise you as well as a non-vegan doctor - just for the sake of ensuring that you don't starve your body of good nutrients.
Yeah, I'm afraid of all that.

A vegan doctor would be perfect. But I doubt to find one.
I'll try.

I can't see two months eating vegan would be long enough to be the contributing factor.
How to Treat Kidney Stones with Diet | NutritionFacts.org

Dr. Greger always says that a vegetarian diet would reduce the size of the stones.
I got it.

But it's logical for me that, if I had an calcium oxalate, and there is food that is high in oxalates, I need to cut or reduce them.
Maybe I'm wrong. I don't know. Doctors here never explain it right.

In my case, at the time of my first crisis, I was not only fresh in the vegetarian diet, but was not eating so much of these foods.
Except sweet potatoes. About 200g a day.

Before that, I know that I used to eat a lot of chicken and eggs.

So maybe today I still having some problems from that past time. Or I contributed to increase more stones, or the size of the existed ones.

Dr. Greger always says that a vegetarian diet would reduce the size of the stones.
I got it.
Dr Greger is vegan himself, not vegetarian. Check to see if it is a vegan or vegetarian diet that he recommends. He often refers to his diet as "a plant-based diet". Vegans eat no dairy or eggs and of course no animal "products" in general.