Bad weather-Necessities

Emma JC

Forum Legend
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
I went out the other day to grocery shop as the storm that is hitting much of eastern US and Canada was forecast well in advance.

My question to all is "What are the items that you prefer to have on hand and therefore feel that all is well with the world, even during a storm?"

(I am not talking about a hurricane or tornado or massive flooding, although that could be an interesting topic also, I just am refering to a winter storm / rain storm which you don't wish to go out in)

For me it is bananas, peanut butter, bread (pitas), red wine, cans of breakfast beans, popcorn, potato chips and it seems I bought more kale so that must now be a staple.

Emma JC
Find your vegan soulmate or just a friend. www.spiritualmatchmaking.com

Well here in Sunny California it does sometimes rain.
It's raining now.
But to your secondary topic.
I do keep stuff around in case we lose power. I used to have a box just for that but I try to rotate the stuff and I just realized it's almost empty. And if we lose power we might lose water too.
I would like to promote this end of the conversation because I need to restock.
But my list includes redipacs of soy milk, granola bars, dried fruit, apple sauce, cereal,

My freezer is generally filled to the brim with stuff to eat. I'm generally good to go for a week between grocery shopping trips.

yes, I learned to stock up from covid and so I do feel comfortable with the amount of food and water, in general, that I keep around - lots of canned beans etc - also if I know there is a storm coming then I fill some old water bottles and pails with water for toilet etc as we live on the 10th floor and so if the power goes... no water for sure

edit: oh yes, noodles, how could I forget them

Emma JC

Last edited:
My go-tos for bad weather include peanut butter, crackers, bread, pasta (I can cook on the stove, which is gas, so I can manually light the burners), protein bars, bananas, pretzels, popcorn, tortilla chips and lots of canned beans and vegetables. I also usually have a few ready-to-eat meals on hand, such as vegan pad thai and taco filling.

When I only had electricity I once relied on a small propane camping stove.
Canned beans, peanut butter, oats, bulgar, salsa, tortilla chips, crackers, dates. Frozen fruit and veggies
I guess that precooked rice in pouches would be good. I like canned chili beans and rice
Something like cans of V8 too

We don't have very bad weather where I live and I live very close to lots of shops anyway, but I do keep torches in the house if there was ever a power cut. I charge them every week as we use them to take our dog into the garden at night. I also have LED candles in each room.

I do keep cat litter and toilet paper stocked after I was caught out during Covid! I do have bottles of sparkling water and a well stocked cupboard for pasta, rice and tins of beans etc... I do keep a few cans of soup as well if I am ill and can't cook anything else.

I also keep cash in the house as some stores around here only take cash and I keep it in case I need to get a taxi. My husband needed that last year when he had to take our cat to the emergency vet on a weekend as we don't drive.

hmmm I realized I forgot a few essentials:

nuts, especially peanuts as my honey likes a few throughout the day
soy curls
hummus
dates
cherry tomatoes
froz fruits and veg
oatmeal - rolled and steel (we actually ran out of steel cut about a week ago and it was a major panic :confused: )

oh, and a new one... for Christmas I picked up a few Baby Gourmet food pouches as we saw them somewhere and we thought it was an interesting 'food' for on the go so I gave him three for a present - we loved them... organic, vegan and fairly inexpensive for about 100 calories and they have interesting combos some of which include kale, quiona, oats etc - I found another brand which is similar and only $1.29, the Baby Gourmet are $1.99 - so now I have a few sitting around so that if we feel a bit peckish we can have/share one and don't eat junk food

Emma JC

Since I live where hurricanes are known to happen, I try to have canned soup, shelf stable milk, cereal, and bread on hand at all times. My apartment is all electric so if the power goes out my only way to cook is on my little charcoal grill so I have briquets and starter fluid for that.

Since I live where hurricanes are known to happen, I try to have canned soup, shelf stable milk, cereal, and bread on hand at all times. My apartment is all electric so if the power goes out my only way to cook is on my little charcoal grill so I have briquets and starter fluid for that.

from our cottage days I do have a small propane stove that works with the bottle size propane and I always have some of them available as we are electric only also - lots of candles and a heater that works with the propane also although I would never use it inside without a window open which would defeat the purpose

Emma JC

Reactions: PTree15 and Lou