Just Mayo

Mischief

Forum Legend
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Other
For months, I have not been able to find Just Mayo in the local stores. It appears to be out of stick at online retailers also.

I know that Hampton Creek Foods rebranded themselves as Just Foods a while ago, but I'm wondering whether they have gone completely out of business.

Anyone know what's going on?

I don’t. But it is available at most of my local stores. I see it often. Maybe it’s old stock, though...

Hasn't been at Walmart. I saw a smaller bottle at another store, but don't remember - probably Fresh Thyme on the shelf.
Still angry with Target.
I keep going to Walmart online to check- out of stock for some time

My local supermarket was carrying it a year or two ago, but for some reason I haven't had a hankering for mayonnaise for quite some time and I haven't noticed if it's still there.

Hmm, I will take a look when I hit the grocery store again. I haven't been doing as much shopping at my regular grocery store because I've been shopping more at Aldi (much cheaper for so many items). I still have jar of Just Mayo in the fridge, so I haven't needed to buy it. I hope it's still around. It's relatively cheap compared to other vegan mayos.

Reactions: Val
I emailed Walmart customer support about Just Mayo and they sent the most generic one back:rolleyes:. It was nothing more than "we discontinue things when the don't sell, and will take another look if things change". Didn't even specify if it WAS discontinued!
I find it hard to believe it wasn't selling o_O

I found a large jar of it in the back of the pantry and it’s expired. I hate when I let that happen. :(

Just Mayo is having a big fight with Will Smith's son - seriously. It has to do with naming products. There's another company (someone who makes Just Water) that's suing them too. Its a mess. We have no Just Mayo anywhere around.

A fiery brand war between a Silicon Valley mayo startup and Jaden Smith's bottled water company is heating up — and one is alleging 'deceptions and misrepresentations'

There are claims of mismanagement as well.

Is This Embattled Start-Up the Theranos of Mayonnaise?

Hmm, I will take a look when I hit the grocery store again. I haven't been doing as much shopping at my regular grocery store because I've been shopping more at Aldi (much cheaper for so many items). I still have jar of Just Mayo in the fridge, so I haven't needed to buy it. I hope it's still around. It's relatively cheap compared to other vegan mayos.
I haven't seen another vegan mayo with which to compare it in my area. NO- wait... the evil mayonnaise giant Hellman's, which (IIRC) tried to prevent "Just Mayo" from being called "Mayo", is making something like it (and calls it a "spread", or something like that- not "mayonnaise"). I've seen it in my local supermarket but can't recall how it compares to "Just Mayo" pricewise. It probably tastes quite good; growing up, I always preferred Hellman's Real Mayonnaise to (retch!!! gag!!!) Miracle Whip.

Edited to Add: ethical issues aside, I think "Just Mayo" is every bit as tasty and appealing as Hellman's. I would have had trouble telling them apart, except that Just Mayo doesn't have a faint yellowish tinge (because it doesn't use egg yolks, and the folks at "Just Mayo" know that a slight color difference won't matter to those of us who'll be buying it).

Last edited:
I haven't seen another vegan mayo with which to compare it in my area. NO- wait... the evil mayonnaise giant Hellman's, which (IIRC) tried to prevent "Just Mayo" from being called "Mayo", is making something like it (and calls it a "spread", or something like that- not "mayonnaise"). I've seen it in my local supermarket but can't recall how it compares to "Just Mayo" pricewise. It probably tastes quite good; growing up, I always preferred Hellman's Real Mayonnaise to (retch!!! gag!!!) Miracle Whip.

Edited to Add: ethical issues aside, I think "Just Mayo" is every bit as tasty and appealing as Hellman's. I would have had trouble telling them apart, except that Just Mayo doesn't have a faint yellowish tinge (because it doesn't use egg yolks, and the folks at "Just Mayo" know that a slight color difference won't matter to those of us who'll be buying it).
I was never a mayo fan before I was a veg*n, but I was the opposite of you. When I had to have mayo, it was Miracle Whip. Hellman's made me gag, hehe. :D I use the vegan mayo with other flavorings to make sauces and whatnot. And I use it to make chickpea salad. I think the Just Mayo was under $4, while Vegenaise is around $6 for a similar-size container. The Vegenaise might have slightly more in the jar than the Just Mayo. And I actually like Vegenaise better, but I've been trying to save lots of money, so I've been getting the Just Mayo.

Reactions: Tom L. and Val
I always loved mayonnaise. I would eat plain mayo sandwiches as a kid and my sister always had mustard sandwiches.

Reactions: Val
I wasn't a mayo fan, hated the real thing, but I would use Miracle Whip for certain things.
Grapeseed Veganaise was probably my favorite--Hey! What happened to Earth Balance mayo? that was good too!
I have found many uses for Just Mayo, since it's palm oil free I'll sub it for spread in mashed potatoes, grilled sandwiches, add to sauces. It takes a usual vegan nooch sauce to a higher level!

I'd sooner give it up before trying vegan Hellmans

Reactions: Val and PTree15
I was never a mayo fan before I was a veg*n, but I was the opposite of you. When I had to have mayo, it was Miracle Whip. Hellman's made me gag, hehe. :D I use the vegan mayo with other flavorings to make sauces and whatnot. And I use it to make chickpea salad. I think the Just Mayo was under $4, while Vegenaise is around $6 for a similar-size container. The Vegenaise might have slightly more in the jar than the Just Mayo. And I actually like Vegenaise better, but I've been trying to save lots of money, so I've been getting the Just Mayo.
I can't remember if I've tried Vegenaise or not. If I did, it was quite some time ago... probably during summer, when I'd be craving lettuce and tomato sandwiches. But different strokes for different folks!

Reactions: PTree15 and Val
I was in Walmart the other day to pick up a few things at the request of my mom. I looked for Just Mayo, and they had a label for it on the shelf, but the spot was empty.

Again - I have no idea how Just Mayo tastes, as it is not available in Europe, but allow me again to share a recipe for a homemade vegan mayo I personally find quite awesome (and much better than the "Hellman's Vegan" I have found in a shop in Spain and tried out.

Not my own recipe, but a recipe from a German site that my son found on the internet. Unfortunately I could not find it again, I only have it saved as word document on my PC. Otherwise, I would of course give due credit to the original inventor!

Ingredients:

250 ml soymilk
200 ml vegetable oil (original suggestion: soy oil, I normally use sunflower)
1 tablespoon of lemon juice or vinegar (I typically use vinegar)
1 teaspoon of sea salt
1 teaspoon of pear syrup (honestly, I think you can leave that one out)
1 small boiled potato (this is the game changer :D)
optional: 1 clove of garlic (but I definitely suggest to add this)

Blend the soymilk with 100 ml of the oil for about one minute on high setting in your food processor.

Slowly add the remainder of oil while the blender is still running on medium/low setting. Add the remaining ingredients and blend together. The starch of the potato is very important to create the creamy consistency.

Add a clove of garlic for stronger taste (I definitely suggest that!). Cool in the fridge for about 2 hours.

The pear syrup is the one thing that I think you can omit, or possibly replace with something else (e.g. agave/maple syrup?).

You can make it yourself by putting a pear into a small saucepan with some suger and water and let it simmer at medium temperature for a while.

Best regards,
Andy

Again - I have no idea how Just Mayo tastes, as it is not available in Europe, but allow me again to share a recipe for a homemade vegan mayo I personally find quite awesome (and much better than the "Hellman's Vegan" I have found in a shop in Spain and tried out.

Not my own recipe, but a recipe from a German site that my son found on the internet. Unfortunately I could not find it again, I only have it saved as word document on my PC. Otherwise, I would of course give due credit to the original inventor!

Ingredients:

250 ml soymilk
1 teaspoon of sea salt

Blend the soymilk with 100 ml of the oil for about one minute on high setting in your food processor.

Slowly add the remainder of oil while the blender is still running on medium/low setting. Add the remaining ingredients and blend together. The starch of the potato is very important to create the creamy consistency.

Add a clove of garlic for stronger taste (I definitely suggest that!). Cool in the fridge for about 2 hours.

The pear syrup is the one thing that I think you can omit, or possibly replace with something else (e.g. agave/maple syrup?).

You can make it yourself by putting a pear into a small saucepan with some suger and water and let it simmer at medium temperature for a while.

Best regards,
Andy

I finally tried this recipe, @Andy_T , and both my sister and I think it is delicious.

It is homemade mayo all the way for us now.

Thank you!

• Friendly
Reactions: Andy_T and silva

Ingredients:

250 ml soymilk
1 teaspoon of sea salt

Best regards,
Andy

Thank you! I've been using Hellmans vegan mayo and really getting to like it :dismay: . I had posted earlier than I'd sooner give up mayo than use Hellmans... :fp:
I'll be trying this recipe soon!

For those looking for a little more tanginess, you can add some mustard powder (which is an ingredient in most American recipes for homemade mayo) to the recipe.

Reactions: Andy_T and Lou