Joy & Elsa

shyvas

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Other
In 1960, Joy Adamson first introduced to the world the story of her life alongside Elsa - the lioness she had rescued as an orphaned cub and raised to adulthood at her home in Kenya. But, as Elsa had been born free, Joy made the heartbreaking decision to return her to the wild.

Joy & Elsa in a hug.jpg

Joy Adamson & Elsa

Last edited:
Beautiful photo. I very much wish Elsa had had more of a life. She died so young.

adamson_joy2.jpg
Elsa's favourite spot for her afternoon nap ; underneath the table whilst Joy was writing her novel, Born Free.

Beautiful photo. I very much wish Elsa had had more of a life. She died so young.

Same here. Even though she had a domesticated life, she received so much love and devotion from the Adamsons she was lucky in that respect.
She certainly didn't deserve to die in the way she did leaving her poor cubs as orphans.

Joy said of Elsa ' she was the great love of my life'.

Last edited:
I actually started liking George a whole lot more than Joy, after I grew up and started reading more about them from third party sources.

In any case, they both lived remarkable lives. What a richness, to be able to experience what they did.

Reactions: KLS52
I actually started liking George a whole lot more than Joy, after I grew up and started reading more about them from third party sources.

In any case, they both lived remarkable lives. What a richness, to be able to experience what they did.

George was certainly a more sociable person than Joy and he was loved by everybody. The actress and friend in Born Free, Virginia McKenna was devestated when he died.

Joy was a very beautiful woman who was stubborn and had was not open to others. Her biography The Searching Spirit did not reveal her inner thoughts and secrets. She seemed not to be able to function after Elsa's death and wrote '

You have to be part of nature to understand it; and you can only do that when you are completely in tune with it," "I find I can only do it when I'm alone. I'm not a hermit, but there is no other way I can do it if I am to go into the depths of an animal's solitary life and be in tune with what it means. But it means a terribly lonely life."

I would like to read George's My Pride & Joy but it is no longer published and the few copies on sale are very expensive.

I also think that they were immensely privileged to have lived such a deep, unique experience.

Last edited:
shyvas , I have the book Born Free:A Lioness of Two Worlds.I have been meaning to read it for a while but haven't yet.I'm going to when I get a chance though.It looks like a fascinating story. :)

Reactions: shyvas and KLS52
shyvas , I have the book Born Free:A Lioness of Two Worlds.I have been meaning to read it for a while but haven't yet.I'm going to when I get a chance though.It looks like a fascinating story. :)

I also have those books plus the 50 th anniversary edition of Born Free. There are many new photos of Elsa with the Adamsons which are all delightful.

I regulary read the book as the story is fascinating and full of emotions, that only animal lovers can comprehend.

The video up until 1.18 shows photos of Elsa. From 1.20 it shows a few snap of the film Born Free. Howerver the 2 nd to last is Elsa and the very last snap is of Jespah - one of Elsa's sons.

Reactions: Deleted member 3018
I read Born Free when I was in my teens and it made me want to go to Africa and work in the Nairobi animal orphanage. At 16 I even went the South African consulate to read through their newspaper, hoping to find a job that would sponsor me. I didn't have a car or driver's license, so my mom had to take drive me all the way to downtown Los Angeles. I don't know how she put up with all my crazy ideas. :D