Is it normal to feel depressed in the beginning?

Status
Not open for further replies.

katzchen

Newcomer
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan newbie
Hello!
I switched to veganism just four days ago (from ten years as a vegetarian).
I have been outright sobbing while constantly thinking about food (like watermelon and potatoes). I feel an empty space inside of me like I did as a teenager with actual diagnosed depression (haven't had issues with this in five years). I don't feel hungry. I have been tracking my food consumption, and I am getting around 1,800 calories. Is this going to pass? Is this abnormal? I just don't want to feel like this again. Especially not about food. Food has always been a happy, pleasant experience for me.

No. Its not normal. New vegans often express feeling better or more energetic, while others say they didn't feel any different at all. Some report feeling tired due to not knowing how to get enough calories, but any reports of sadness are responses to sudden awareness of extreme animal cruelty or rejection by family members, not inexplicable sobbing.

It sounds to me like you've made veganism about you. By that I mean you've decided you are being deprived of something, like someone on a diet. Veganism isn't a diet and there's no reason you should feel deprived. Research vegan recipes, products and nutrition so you can stop.

Hello!
I switched to veganism just four days ago (from ten years as a vegetarian).
I have been outright sobbing while constantly thinking about food (like watermelon and potatoes). I feel an empty space inside of me like I did as a teenager with actual diagnosed depression (haven't had issues with this in five years). I don't feel hungry. I have been tracking my food consumption, and I am getting around 1,800 calories. Is this going to pass? Is this abnormal? I just don't want to feel like this again. Especially not about food. Food has always been a happy, pleasant experience for me.

Lack of hunger can be a sign of Niacin deficiency. You have made no mention of what you eat in a day, other than it is Vegan. Unfortunately Vegan diets do not equal instant health, as by definition they only eliminate foods of animal origin. Make sure that the majority of what you eat (including grains) is from whole, unrefined and minimally processed foods.

No. Its not normal. New vegans often express feeling better or more energetic, while others say they didn't feel any different at all. Some report feeling tired due to not knowing how to get enough calories, but any reports of sadness are responses to sudden awareness of extreme animal cruelty or rejection by family members, not inexplicable sobbing.

It sounds to me like you've made veganism about you. By that I mean you've decided you are being deprived of something, like someone on a diet. Veganism isn't a diet and there's no reason you should feel deprived. Research vegan recipes, products and nutrition so you can stop.

Sorry, maybe I expressed myself wrong. I don't feel hungry. I don't feel deprived. I did switch for animal rights reasons, not for me (watched Cowspiracy). Maybe my depression is really just coming back.

Lack of hunger can be a sign of Niacin deficiency. You have made no mention of what you eat in a day, other than it is Vegan. Unfortunately Vegan diets do not equal instant health, as by definition they only eliminate foods of animal origin. Make sure that the majority of what you eat (including grains) is from whole, unrefined and minimally processed foods.

Thank you so much!
I have been eating mostly fruits and veggies. A lot of bananas, mangos, watermelon, strawberries, tomatoes. Celery, lettuce, carrots, onions, avocado. Maybe I just need more grains!

Were you taking anything for your depression medication wise? I'm bipolar type one with psychosis and going vegan actually made me feel better. I take a b12 supplement once a week and I take algae omega 3 and dha. Try adding those supplements to your diet.

Were you taking anything for your depression medication wise? I'm bipolar type one with psychosis and going vegan actually made me feel better. I take a b12 supplement once a week and I take algae omega 3 and dha. Try adding those supplements to your diet.

Thank you! I will try supplements.
I was not taking medication. I haven't felt any symptoms since I was a teenager.

Maybe my depression is really just coming back.

There's no question diet can affect your moods and overall sense of well-being (depression). Learning a vegan lifestyle does take a bit of time for most people. From the look of the bulk of your diet, my guess is you're falling short on calories.

Here's a helpful video:

Reactions: Nekodaiden
There's no question diet can affect your moods and overall sense of well-being (depression). Learning a vegan lifestyle does take a bit of time for most people. From the look of the bulk of your diet, my guess is you're falling short on calories.

Here's a helpful video:

That was awesome! Thanks. I was following Freelee's advice, because I really don't want to buy a bunch of fake meats or cheeses. I guess I just need to eat more than fruits and veggies.

Reactions: Forest Nymph
It's good you're aware of your emotional state. Please remain cognizant of how you're feeling and if it doesn't improve get yourself in to see your doctor and/or psychiatrist or psychologist. Depression is not something to be taken lightly, but I think you already know that.

Freelee is probably one of the worst people whose advice you should take if you're looking to live a happy, healthy vegan lifestyle. Maybe she's changed recently since she detached herself from that DurianRider guy, I don't know. I only watched a couple of her earlier YouTube videos with her raw fruit diet and it was alarming.

A healthy, balanced vegan diet consists of not just fruits and vegetables but also legumes, nuts, seeds, grains, and other sources of healthy fats (within reason), ie: olive oil. And yes, it's OK to cook your food.

I do agree that limiting mock meats and cheeses is a good approach. I think of those as vegan junk food since they're highly processed. They're fine every now and then, but I don't think a diet that relies entirely on those things would be healthy and well balanced in the long run. Fortunately, there are enough good things to eat and amazing creative vegan recipes out there that most people really shouldn't feel deprived if they're not consuming mock meats and the like.

If you're looking for some great recipes, check out Oh She Glows.

Pick up Limes is also a wonderful resource on a healthy vegan lifestyle. She is a certified Dietetics graduate so knows her stuff when it comes to balanced vegan nutrition.

Reactions: Vesta and Nicky
Sorry, maybe I expressed myself wrong. I don't feel hungry. I don't feel deprived. I did switch for animal rights reasons, not for me (watched Cowspiracy). Maybe my depression is really just coming back.

I'm sorry to hear that. I mistook your words because you said you cry when you think about watermelon and potatoes, and want to enjoy your food, so I thought maybe your meals were unsatisfying.... Some people go vegan and get most of their calories from fruit or other types of bland monofasts with little or no fat.

The alkaloids in potatoes make me feel depressed and suicidal for no reason. I would recommend not eating potatoes for a week and see how you feel.

That was awesome! Thanks. I was following Freelee's advice, because I really don't want to buy a bunch of fake meats or cheeses. I guess I just need to eat more than fruits and veggies.

That explains a lot. Freelee has given terrible dietary advice to a lot of people. Her method works for maybe a tiny percentage of the population.

Reactions: Consistency
When I first gave up fish as a newbie vegan I felt depressed. It didn't really matter what I ate instead as Friday was the day I usually ate fish. I also had mega big cravings for fried eggs.

However, I overcame all that and now feel my vegan diet helps with my mental health. It's like a branch to cling on to in a stormy sea.

Here's a helpful video:

This an awesome video by Mic the Vegan, I've seen it before but watched again and it's worth reiterating.

The alkaloids in potatoes make me feel depressed and suicidal for no reason. I would recommend not eating potatoes for a week and see how you feel.

Never had such a problem with potatoes, and I've eaten them all my life, and more so as a vegan. I doubt a single person here could testify to this problem with full confidence that a potato free life cured their depression and suicidal thoughts.

In an earlier post you said you couldn't digest most (all?) grains. So now that you're off potatoes too, what exactly are you eating?

Still notice you refuse to identify your lifestyle and giving advice on a vegan site.

Last edited:
Reactions: Veganite
Never had such a problem with potatoes, and I've eaten them all my life, and more so as a vegan. I doubt a single person here could testify to this problem with full confidence that a potato free life cured their depression and suicidal thoughts.

In an earlier post you said you couldn't digest most (all?) grains. So now that you're off potatoes too, what exactly are you eating?

Still notice you refuse to identify your lifestyle and giving advice on a vegan site.

Here: http://www.diagnosisdiet.com/nightshades/

Organic basmati rice is currently the only safe grain I consume with a variety of vegetables. I will be experimenting with organic quinoa soon.

There is nothing wrong with being a nonconformist. Those who lack self control will always try to control others by whichever spineless means.

So you have been eating…

Potato leaves?

Unripe potatoes?

Sprouting potatoes?

Uncooked potatoes?

Potatoes that are decomposing due to long storage?

I see.

Thanks for the article. I notice it’s referenced, but the references aren’t direct to the points making it hard to directly verify. That being said, I’m not doubting that eating potatoes in the above ways could be harmful – although making a sweeping statement on an otherwise safe, healthy and commonly consumed foodstuff based on a few irregular ways of consuming it is a pretty big leap.

There is nothing wrong with being a nonconformist. Those who lack self control will always try to control others by whichever spineless means.

You confuse "non-conformity" with honest disclosure. You either eat animal flesh and derivatives or you do not. Non conformity in this context would mean that you do consume them. Asking you to be forthright especially when you're giving advice is not about control, it's about disclosure that relates to the theme of this website.

Sensitive individuals are sensitive to the alkaloids found in nightshades in low amounts. This isn't acute toxicity. This is known as chronic low dose toxicity. Mercury poisoning from amalgam fillings is another chronic low dose toxicity.

I didn't tell her to stop eating them completely. I recommended eliminating them for a week to see if she feels better. There isn't anything wrong with an elimination diet since this is the best way to find out which foods we are sensitive to.

I don't eat animal products and I have the right to privacy without being scrutinized.

Status
Not open for further replies.