Is frog skin pu leather vegan? help please!

Ivan

Newcomer
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
Hello everyone,

I just got some JBL headphones but I didn't unbox them yet. On the website, it says that the material of the ear cushions is made of frog skin PU leather. I was wondering if any of you could help me to determine if they are vegan or not since the search that I did on the internet didn't display a response for this specific kind of material. I also emailed them 3 days ago but didn't get any response yet. Thank you very much!

Reactions: mohitnegi724
PU or polyurethane is a layer of vinyl added on top of real or faux leather to make it feel more like aged real leather.

The fact JBL mentions Frog Skin, with PU looks like it is actual frog skin covered with PU.

I would take them back... frogs on my ears does not sound appealing to me :)

Good thing you have not unboxed :)

Thank you very much for your help. I already got the labels to send it back. It's sad that having all the synthetic materials we have there are some brands (electronic, cars, and many other products) that prefer to use leather for their products.

Weird - I would call them. I have always thought PU was just that - did not know it would ever apply to real leather. Maybe "frog skin" is what they are calling a texture of some sort??

Weird - I would call them. I have always thought PU was just that - did not know it would ever apply to real leather. Maybe "frog skin" is what they are calling a texture of some sort??

That is also what I was thinking. but I have no idea. Frog skin is a real thing? They seem too small.

Yes - but the fact that it can be PU bonded to actual leather is news to me. I'm feeling so dumb right now :/

Not going there.

but the more I think about it - the less likely I think its real frog skin.
Not sure why ANYONE would use real frog skin in any product but I can't think of a good reason to use it in headphones.
and also why would you coat it with PU. That seems like a bad idea, too.

I have never really thought much about vegan headphones. the cheap ones I use around the house are just foam. The good ones I have in the living room might be leather but I don't think so. I think it's just some kind of vinyl.

Meanwhile, just for fun I googled "Vegan Headphones" and found that there are a lot of different ones at all the different price points. So maybe Ivan should send them back.

This is just one of the hits I got on Vegan Headphones
https://eatbychloe.com/2017/01/turn-up-the-beats/

Thanks guys! I contacted Skullcandy and they assured me that all of their headphones are made from synthetic materials or as they call it (man-made leather). I checked their most expensive headphones (usually the ones that would have real leather) and they do not state that the ear cushion is real leather nor they say that it's synthetic material. I am confident that if they used leather they would say it since some brands are even proud to say that they use real leather in their products (yes, it's a pretty f****d up world). I will take their word for now and if anyone has any news just post here!

Reactions: TofuRobot
I am confident that if they used leather they would say it since some brands are even proud to say that they use real leather in their products (yes, it's a pretty f****d up world).
Oh absolutely. It's almost always assumed that if someone is asking if something is real leather that they're hoping it is. Sad but true. (I always proceed to fire back with "Oh that's too bad..." or, "Good to know because I don't buy leather..." or something along those lines so that they know.)

Hi guys,
I already got the Skullcandy Hesh 3 which are vegan. JBL contacted me the other day and told me that their headphones JBL T450 are vegan (a bit late since I already returned their headphones). The material used for the ear cushions is synthetic. I will take their word, for now, let me know if you have any new information!