UK Dr Martens..

spud_

Newcomer
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
Hi folks :)

I've moved a lot over the years and have just found a pair of Dr Martens that haven't even been fully broken in yet. I must've bought these about 5+ years ago and forgot about them when the box got put into storage.

I'm now vegan, as of 13 months ago.

Currently, I'm battling with what I should do with them.

On one hand, they're made with leather so go against my morals of not purchasing animal products.

On the other hand, the damage was already done years ago by making that purchase. By throwing them away / passing them on to another, this isn't going to mitigate the pain?

What are your thoughts on this?

Looking forward to reading your comments,
Liam

I've moved a lot over the years and have just found a pair of Dr Martens that haven't even been fully broken in yet. I must've bought these about 5+ years ago and forgot about them when the box got put into storage.

On one hand, they're made with leather so go against my morals of not purchasing animal products.

On the other hand, the damage was already done years ago by making that purchase. By throwing them away / passing them on to another, this isn't going to mitigate the pain?

Liam
Once I registered an account, I can see another thread asking a similar question - so that has been useful.

Still, if you're willing to share your thoughts on this one then I'm happy to read them. 😊

My two main thoughts are:

1. They are bought already so the damage is already done - enjoy!
2. Maybe you can give them to somebody so that they don't have to buy a new pair. This will prevent more money being given to the animal exploitation business.

I personally wouldn't feel guilty about using them at this stage, although I suppose giving them away is better. Your choice!

My two main thoughts are:

1. They are bought already so the damage is already done - enjoy!
2. Maybe you can give them to somebody so that they don't have to buy a new pair. This will prevent more money being given to the animal exploitation business.

I personally wouldn't feel guilty about using them at this stage, although I suppose giving them away is better. Your choice!
Thanks Brian,

The second point is a great observation and the path I'll explore. If no one wants them then I'll happily keep them and not judge myself for it.

I appreciate your comment, friend.
Liam

I go by--
The Vegan Society defines veganism as “a philosophy and way of living which seeks to exclude—as far as is possible and practicable—all forms of exploitation of, and cruelty to, animals”.
Which is different for everyone. Living paycheck to paycheck with a family gets a far bigger pass than someone with more income and responsibility
Someone with medical problems should of course not worry about the source of their medicine as someone not in crisis
The purchase of leather --- someone with the ability to buy vegan and ethically sourced goods should feel responsible for doing so. So many are in NEED of cars with limited funds. Or boots for work where leather is often required. It's hard enough to find these things that will last so often people aren't in a position where they can financially dismiss them because of leather.

If your were able to forget about these boots for 5 years it kinda says right there it was both possible and practical for you to avoid them.
Give them a buffing with oil and donate, or sell them and donate the money. If you are now in need you sell and use the money to buy vegan Dr. Martens

I go by--
The Vegan Society defines veganism as “a philosophy and way of living which seeks to exclude—as far as is possible and practicable—all forms of exploitation of, and cruelty to, animals”.
Which is different for everyone. Living paycheck to paycheck with a family gets a far bigger pass than someone with more income and responsibility
Someone with medical problems should of course not worry about the source of their medicine as someone not in crisis
The purchase of leather --- someone with the ability to buy vegan and ethically sourced goods should feel responsible for doing so. So many are in NEED of cars with limited funds. Or boots for work where leather is often required. It's hard enough to find these things that will last so often people aren't in a position where they can financially dismiss them because of leather.

If your were able to forget about these boots for 5 years it kinda says right there it was both possible and practical for you to avoid them.
Give them a buffing with oil and donate, or sell them and donate the money. If you are now in need you sell and use the money to buy vegan Dr. Martens
You're right Silva,

I don't use any social media but I'm sure there's local websites I can sell/donate these boots to. They're in great condition and would serve a person in need for 10 or more years.

Thanks for pointing that out to me ✌️
Liam

• Friendly
Reactions: silva

Liam
I had a pair of dr marten shoes that i had on my feet for quite a while when i had no fixed address. They were comfortable and lasted a while. My feet were healthy.
Take good care of yourself and your feet.
We do not know what is in the future so keep hold of them. They might end up coming in handy. For example they keep your feet warm in cold weather.

• Friendly
Reactions: spud_ and Brian W
I go by--

Give them a buffing with oil and donate, or sell them and donate the money. If you are now in need you sell and use the money to buy vegan Dr. Martens.
The people in some parts of the world need to kill animals to keep safe. Then although it might make sense to somebody to bury the dead creature it would create a difference in the creepy crawlies that come up from under the ground so it is actually more environmentally friendly to cook the meat for food and use the leather for shoes, warmth etc.

Reactions: Brian W
I recently threw away my leather Dr. Martens. I'd had them for 20 years and they were straight up falling apart.

If you want to keep them then keep them, and get as much use out of them as you can.

What you do with them is ultimately your decision. I, and I think many others here, won't condemn you for keeping them or even wearing them. But if you want to part with them, which is sounds like you do, you have many good options already presented here. Let us know what you do!

• Agree
  • Friendly
Reactions: spud_ and Clairey
if you bought them when you were not vegan you may aswell keep them. you are not harming anyone directly and by throwing them away you will only harm the environment. if it really bugs you you could always try sell them on depop or vinted so that they dont go to waste.

• Friendly
Reactions: spud_
Hi gang!

Sorry for not checking in. I hope you all had a fantastic festive period and are recharged for a new year :)

I have the boots to a colleague, after hearing him mention that he wanted a pair when I was in the office. I reckon that stopped a new purchase of leather, so it was a no-brainer to me.

As it was on my mind, I did by a new pair of snazzy vegan Dr Martens.. which I love. Much easier to break in and very comfy (a little squeaky but I hope that'll wear out).

All my best to you and yours, from me.

LM