I sometimes feel like hating the whole human race!!

What good does it do to bemoan your fellow human beings? You are human, too. And I'm sure you're not innocent of contributing in some way or another to the suffering of others - be they animal or human.

You want change? Be the change and start doing something instead of telling everyone how terrible they are because they're bipedal and have intellectual advantages over other species.

I think this topic makes me angry right now because of what's going on in the world, where I feel humans need to exercise some more compassion to one another while hundreds of thousands are getting sick and dying.

I think it's pretty clear to me right now that the worst thing on this planet is not humans but viruses. They do not discriminate. Sometimes they wipe out animals, sometimes humans, sometimes both. But maybe from your tone you're one of those people who's happy with the current circumstances going on?

Vegan does not mean hate humans and only love animals. There are millions of vulnerable, victimized human beings out there, as well, who, if people would start to learn compassion and empathy towards ALL beings, would benefit from such kindness and then see the benefits of such a life and would likely start seeing the benefit of extending similar compassion to others, including animals, as well.
Granted we are all human, we make mistakes, but we can think before we act, as in hurting animals. Thats just a cop out and excuse for the abuse. Thats their way of excusing it. Humans SHOULD know better. If it hurts you then think how the animal feels. If it doesnt feel good dont do it. Maybe im missing my mark but im really for the animals. Virus or no virus. I will treat others respectfully but that doesnt mean i have to like them for what they do. Animals first.

• Friendly
Reactions: Emma JC
Some scholarly articles have actually explored this concept. And some science fiction writers have also checked this out. Those familiar with the works of Larry Niven and the Ringworld universe will recognize this theme.

My best guess is that neither herbivores or carnivores couldn't evolve to be the smartest species. (except in the special conditions of a ringworld). Only an omnivore that needs to develop intelligence to figure out how to best survive in an everchanging environment.

Actually before anyone else calls me on this.

I shouldn't have used the term "smartest species". Dominant species would be more accurate.

Human beings are the worst, most destructive, cruel and horrible creatures out there. Humans are responsible for destroying the rainforests. Humans are responsible for plastic pollution and air pollution. Humans are responsible for global warming and desertification. Humans are responsible for more species extinctions and endangerment than any other species. Humans are partly responsible for creating and keeping world hunger alive. Humans are responsible for creating Mad Cow Disease, other diseases, and now this whole coronavirus mess.
Humans are also so, so, so cruel and nasty towards animals. Factory farming, animal slaughter for meat, dog-sled cruelty, abusing and neglecting “pets”, animal testing, vivisection, hunting, “pest” control (why is this awful cruelty so neglected by animal rights people? Since when has poisoning and inhumanely trapping poor rodents and other animals not been cruelty?), trophy hunting, poaching, fur, fishing, everything! Why do we humans consider ourselves so darn superior when we are so vile and evil to the planet and to animals?
Thank you 😊.
I totally understand how you feel. I think that mankind evolved to be a cancer on this planet

• Friendly
Reactions: Brian W and Hope J.
There is a bit of a school of thought that humanity is responsible for these viruses, whether by specifics such as animal trading or more generally by ravaging nature.

What good does it do to bemoan your fellow human beings? You are human, too.

I think you made a lot of good points (in the parts that I'm not quoting). But I think this one specific point (quoted above) is not quite right. It should be OK to criticize a group, even quite broadly, even while being a member of that group. Logic and reason above tribalism in other words.

There is a bit of a school of thought that humanity is responsible for these viruses, whether by specifics such as animal trading or more generally by ravaging nature.

I used to write essays about this in English classes at school in the 1970s and everybody thought I was crazy. Seems I was just ahead of my time. 😎

And to go further, I also realized that the more mankind acts like cancer, the more it dies of cancer 🧐

That's a very nice point, with the ever rising number of cancer cases, people have mainly been focusing on developing a "cure" by investing billions of dollars in research that has yet to yield any optimal result. What most people don't realize is that our own behavior is fundamentally similar to cancer, if we don't change our own selfish behavior, how can we expect our body cells to all function harmoniously as one entity, free of inner conflict and egoism.

vegans are definitely not the first group to ever criticize other human beings

I do feel some empathy for the OP, there are most definitely times I prefer animal to human company. I don't go as far as hating humans though, being as I am one..:mouse:. When you see the worst that people can and are doing, it's hard not to feel anger and frustration.

But I remember on a vegan video (sorry forget which one) someone saying "Don't hate the sinner, hate the sin", which really struck a chord with me, being a recent convert to veganism. So don't hate the person, hate their actions.

I am not religious, it was the language he was using in a speech on you tube. His aim being to counter-act hostility against veganism by not getting confrontational and angry in retaliation, i.e. don't escalate it. By calmly answering every negative argument or comment, he eventually won the person over (in that example, an angry farmer).

I do feel some empathy for the OP, there are most definitely times I prefer animal to human company. I don't go as far as hating humans though, being as I am one..:mouse:. When you see the worst that people can and are doing, it's hard not to feel anger and frustration.

But I remember on a vegan video (sorry forget which one) someone saying "Don't hate the sinner, hate the sin", which really struck a chord with me, being a recent convert to veganism. So don't hate the person, hate their actions.

I am not religious, it was the language he was using in a speech on you tube. His aim being to counter-act hostility against veganism by not getting confrontational and angry in retaliation, i.e. don't escalate it. By calmly answering every negative argument or comment, he eventually won the person over (in that example, an angry farmer).
Sounds like Earthling Ed. He's really good.

That is what a friend said to me last night. She went on to say that it's only the animal species that will survive.

A really cool science fiction book that is relevant to your comment is, The Earth Abides, By George Stewart. It is a really old book - 1949. But it is amazing how relevant it remains. Also since it is so old and still popular you don't have to go to the library or bookstore, there are free ebooks you can download (where ever you find free ebooks.)

In the book, a variation of measles mutates. Only a small percentage of the pop. has immunity. And since it has a very long incubation period, by the time the first group gets sick it has already spread worldwide. And the fatality rate is high but that is exacerbated by the overwhelming of hospitals. the author very neatly sidesteps all the technical, scientific, and medical and horrific stuff by having the main character return from a backpacking trip gone wrong to find most everyone dead.

So after all the people are gone, all the animals that have had their population controlled by people go wild. I think insects are the first population explosion. There are also explosions in the rat, cat, dog, pig, cow, and mountain lion populations.

Each one of these population explosions creates unusual and difficult situations for the few human survivors. But each time the population ends up finding a level of equilibrium. And eventually, all the populations find a balance. It is a fun read and maybe something we could all read together as we shelter in space.

A really cool science fiction book that is relevant to your comment is, The Earth Abides, By George Stewart. It is a really old book - 1949. But it is amazing how relevant it remains. Also since it is so old and still popular you don't have to go to the library or bookstore, there are free ebooks you can download (where ever you find free ebooks.)

It is a fun read and maybe something we could all read together as we shelter in space.

I spoke too soon. It is not so easy to find.

Check you local library.

It is available at the Internet Archive. You can read it online or download it. I couldn't download because I started using the Internet Archive 20 years ago and my Adobe Digital Editions License got screwed up when I migrated computers. And I have never been able to fix it.

If anyone else finds it let us know.

I spoke too soon. It is not so easy to find.

Check you local library.

It is available at the Internet Archive. You can read it online or download it. I couldn't download because I started using the Internet Archive 20 years ago and my Adobe Digital Editions License got screwed up when I migrated computers. And I have never been able to fix it.

If anyone else finds it let us know.
http://bamfordsworld.weebly.com/uploads/8/7/0/3/8703302/george_a._stewart_-_earth_abides.pdf