I sometimes feel like hating the whole human race!!

Rory17

Forum Legend
Reaction score
Human beings are the worst, most destructive, cruel and horrible creatures out there. Humans are responsible for destroying the rainforests. Humans are responsible for plastic pollution and air pollution. Humans are responsible for global warming and desertification. Humans are responsible for more species extinctions and endangerment than any other species. Humans are partly responsible for creating and keeping world hunger alive. Humans are responsible for creating Mad Cow Disease, other diseases, and now this whole coronavirus mess.
Humans are also so, so, so cruel and nasty towards animals. Factory farming, animal slaughter for meat, dog-sled cruelty, abusing and neglecting “pets”, animal testing, vivisection, hunting, “pest” control (why is this awful cruelty so neglected by animal rights people? Since when has poisoning and inhumanely trapping poor rodents and other animals not been cruelty?), trophy hunting, poaching, fur, fishing, everything! Why do we humans consider ourselves so darn superior when we are so vile and evil to the planet and to animals?
Thank you 😊.

Why do we humans consider ourselves so darn superior when we are so vile and evil to the planet and to animals?
It's ironic that the one thing, if anything, that could make us better than the animals is an enhanced ability to empathise with other species and yet those who claim superiority over the animals are the same ones that have little or no empathy.:confused:

If those are your reasons for hating humans then you must hate all life logically speaking, humans are merely just competent enough to be able cause large-scale destruction through ability to acquire and utilize knowledge about universe. Animals are cruel and nasty toward other animals, including own species. Let's not pretend wilderness if full of fluffy and friendly creatures that peacefully roam the land with "do you believe in magic" playing in the background, that's until evil humans showed up killing animals and changing background music to imperial march. Let's not forget that humans are only species that created system where not only killing and abusing members of own species is punished but also that of other species. That's asides from many technological advancements making life better, longer and healthier. Of course, saying humans is pretty much pointless in terms of the judgement, given how diverse behaviorally individual specimens that belong to said group are, same could be said about behavioral differences between various species of animals. What humans do to other animals hardly worse than what predators do, it's just human intellect can do it efficiently on a large scale thanks to superior intelligence.

@Max Caulfield

If human beings are so intelligent, then they should know better. We can't expect animals to know better! This wonderful system that you idealize is responsible for all kinds of diseases both physical and psychological and the near slavery of the masses for the financial benefit of the few. We are so stupid, that despite millions of years of evolution, we toil like insects instead of living like primates. What humans do is worse than what predators do because it is calculated and unnecessary and not a matter of survival.

These are the feelings I have to push so far in the back of my head that I forget I have them, because people won't change. Mom likes to say "people suffer too" whenever I brought up the topic of animal suffering. It is better to reduce the amount of suffering caused, even if it can't be stopped. I see it as doing my part. Two people in my life eat more vegan food because of me, even if they aren't and never will be vegan. I consider that a win.

Last edited:
@Max Caulfield

If human beings are so intelligent, then they should know better. We can't expect animals to know better! This wonderful system that you idealize is responsible for all kinds of diseases both physical and psychological and the near slavery of the masses for the financial benefit of the few. We are so stupid, that despite millions of years of evolution, we toil like insects instead of living like primates. What humans do is worse than what predators do because it is calculated and unnecessary and not a matter of survival.

There is no rule in the first place that higher intelligence requires adapting such moral code or any at all. If humans are held to higher moral standard than other animals then by default they are assumed to be morally superior to have bigger expectations of them. I don't idealize system at all, I simply point this is more than naive notion "humans are bad, animals are good" that ignores fact all positive things humans come up with and idealizes animals despite they are held to pretty much no behavioral standard in the first place, unlike humans that created entire systems accounting for that. Actually, predators (not only) don't always kill out of necessity, for an example cats will kill mice or insects even when not hungry or they wouldn't starve and that's just only obligatory carnivores. Many predators aren't really different than a human hunter. I don't see how something being "calculated" would make act worse, than for an example someone blowing someone's brain out spontaneously. We are hardly stupid, at least relatively speaking we are most intelligent species on this planet to the point no species would be a threat to ours. We exceeded pattern of living of both typical primates and insects, creating sustainable and efficient systems.

I wish I had an intelligent response to this thread. But, I have no great insights.

When things look bad, I think, "Well at least I am not a pig who lives on a factory farm."

Sadly, Max Caulfield is probably mostly right. It's what logically makes sense and meets the evidence even if it isn't emotionally pleasing.

I have a theory that if the most intelligence species on Earth were carnivores, we would have even more savage rulers of the planet and the world would be an even darker place for the other species with even worse environmental destruction.

Whereas if a herbivore had evolved to be the smartest species, we would have more benevolence on Earth. The other species would be more respected and protected, and possibly environmental destruction would be less.

Sadly, Max Caulfield is probably mostly right. It's what logically makes sense and meets the evidence even if it isn't emotionally pleasing.

I have a theory that if the most intelligence species on Earth were carnivores, we would have even more savage rulers of the planet and the world would be an even darker place for the other species with even worse environmental destruction.

Whereas if a herbivore had evolved to be the smartest species, we would have more benevolence on Earth. The other species would be more respected and protected, and possibly environmental destruction would be less.
Although we already do the unthinkable to these babies. There is NO EXCUSE for abuse to these babies. They need us more responsible ones now than ever. 😣🐒🐶🐑🐮

Actually, I wouldn't go so far with intelligent herbivores protecting other species. Sure, animal agriculture would be gone or vastly reduced at very least as need would be far lesser for herbivore for it as there are still many non consumable products that are made derived from animal exploitation and then there are pets. Herbivores aren't that innocent either (although aggressiveness depends on the species) , they can kill (and others) or injure each other in territorial or mating disputes and for many other reasons such as perceiving non-existent threat. In fact some of herbivorous species are more dangerous than many carnivorous species. Then we have no evidence such inteligent species wouldn't be simply be tribal or self-centered way they currently are now.

Reactions: Jamie in Chile
What good does it do to bemoan your fellow human beings? You are human, too. And I'm sure you're not innocent of contributing in some way or another to the suffering of others - be they animal or human.

You want change? Be the change and start doing something instead of telling everyone how terrible they are because they're bipedal and have intellectual advantages over other species.

I think this topic makes me angry right now because of what's going on in the world, where I feel humans need to exercise some more compassion to one another while hundreds of thousands are getting sick and dying.

I think it's pretty clear to me right now that the worst thing on this planet is not humans but viruses. They do not discriminate. Sometimes they wipe out animals, sometimes humans, sometimes both. But maybe from your tone you're one of those people who's happy with the current circumstances going on?

Vegan does not mean hate humans and only love animals. There are millions of vulnerable, victimized human beings out there, as well, who, if people would start to learn compassion and empathy towards ALL beings, would benefit from such kindness and then see the benefits of such a life and would likely start seeing the benefit of extending similar compassion to others, including animals, as well.

I think it's pretty clear to me right now that the worst thing on this planet is not humans but viruses.
I understand your anger but maybe we should look for evidence of similar spreads of viruses in the wild and if we can't find any, maybe we should ask ourselves why it seems to be only or mainly human societies that suffer from them.

You are right though that hating humans doesn't help. I believe that people in the main are doing their best in a difficult world but the OP is having a hard time because of the cruelty and destruction caused by many. I think his hatred will pass, that he is just angry for now. None of us are perfect and we have all done wrong in our lives. If we can remember those times, maybe we can find it in ourselves to be a little more understanding towards those who at present don't share our views. :)

Some scholarly articles have actually explored this concept. And some science fiction writers have also checked this out. Those familiar with the works of Larry Niven and the Ringworld universe will recognize this theme.

My best guess is that neither herbivores or carnivores couldn't evolve to be the smartest species. (except in the special conditions of a ringworld). Only an omnivore that needs to develop intelligence to figure out how to best survive in an everchanging environment.

I understand your anger but maybe we should look for evidence of similar spreads of viruses in the wild and if we can't find any, maybe we should ask ourselves why it seems to be only or mainly human societies that suffer from them.

You are right though that hating humans doesn't help. I believe that people in the main are doing their best in a difficult world but the OP is having a hard time because of the cruelty and destruction caused by many. I think his hatred will pass, that he is just angry for now. None of us are perfect and we have all done wrong in our lives. If we can remember those times, maybe we can find it in ourselves to be a little more understanding towards those who at present don't share our views. :)

Thank you - you are right. Not everyone is in the same place as others either emotionally, spiritually, or physically. In that sense I get to relate to the OP because currently I'm feeling very angry with current circumstances and have very low tolerance for what I feel is people being insensitive to others.

Why again I rarely post in controversial topics because all I manage to do is expose my own hypocrisy.

Might I mention I skipped my metta meditation this morning?

Viruses are not evil. Viruses and disease, in general, are just one of the ways that nature tries to restore balance.
Communicable diseases need population density to succeed. That is the main idea of self quarantines and sheltering in place. It is just a way to simulate a reduction in population density.

Viruses in general couldn't be so sucessful in a world without overpopulation, cities, and air travel.

Viruses are not evil. Viruses and disease, in general, are just one of the ways that nature tries to restore balance.
Communicable diseases need population density to succeed. That is the main idea of self quarantines and sheltering in place. It is just a way to simulate a reduction in population density.

Viruses in general couldn't be so sucessful in a world without overpopulation, cities, and air travel.

and animal farming intensification

Emma JC