¼ cup vegetable broth
4 tablespoons tahini
3 to 4 tablespoons lemon juice or to taste
½ teaspoon ground cumin
2 large cloves garlic, finely chopped
Tabasco sauce, to taste
salt, to taste
¼ cup chopped scallions, whiteand green parts

Combine chickpeas and broth in a food processor; process until very smooth. Add remaining ingredients, other than scallions; process until very smooth. Transfer to a serving bowl and stir in the scallions. Let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes to allow the flavors to blend.

Without the scallions, the hummus can be covered and refrigerated for up to three days.

Reactions: Rosie1
I was just searching the other day for a hummus recipe with no oil or tahini... thanks!

I was just searching the other day for a hummus recipe with no oil or tahini... thanks!

Aaack! This recipe does have tahini - I just accidentally omitted it. The hummus itself does not have a strong tahini flavor, though.

If you want to avoid tahini altogether, I'd substitute something with a mild flavor,like macademia nut butter.

What kinds of tahini does everyone use? I'm just wondering if there is a difference between brands. The one I use is quite "peanut" buttery flavored and slightly bitter. Love the stuff btw.

I normally just sub peanut butter for tahini but I'm currently following a very low fat diet so for the time being it's a no-no. I'm going to play around with this recipe and see if I can just leave the tahini out altogether. I usually put so much garlic and lemon juice in my hummus, I'll probably not even notice.

I'm going to make it using PB...curious as to how it will be. :)