Vegan How to bake a potato

das_nut

Forum Legend
Reaction score
The way I learned to bake a potato way back when was to scrub a potato, poke it with a fork, and throw it in a preheated, 350-degree (F) oven for an hour.

I discovered this is subpar.

To bake a potato, you still want to preheat the over to 350-degree (F), and you still want to scrub the potato and poke it with a fork.

But then, before putting it in the over, put a pan in the rack underneath to catch drips. Take the potato, smear it with a good quality olive oil (not too much, just enough to coat it), and then salt and pepper each potato.

So easy, yet so tasty. Try adding some dried herbal flakes to it as well if you want. (I think thyme would be good).

This is a really basic, easy thing to do, but it makes the potatoes taste sooooo much better.

I like learning simple tricks to make meals better in the kitchen.

Used to do mine in the oven... then I found this:

41VFL8KDQ4L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

http://www.amazon.com/Progressive-I...404177&sr=8-4&keywords=microwave+potato+baker

I'm impatient. I just poke it with a fork, wrap a paper towel around it, then put it in a plastic baggie or wrap it in saran wrap, and nuke for 4-5 mins.

The skin is incredibly better if oiled and seasoned and baked in an oven. I use my toaster oven. Microwave is convenient, but the taste is so much better in the oven, as is the texture of the inside of the potato.

Do they do this in restaurants? When I make baked potatoes at home they never seem to taste as good as at a restaurant. I haven't had one from a restaurant in years nor have I made any home in a couple of years. I am so going to try this. I always just scrubbed them, poked some holes, wrapped in tinfoil and then put in the oven for a while.

you HAVE to oil the skins and jack the oven temperature up. oh my goodness. supreme deliciousness results. then you add earth balance and pour delicious canned baked beans over the top. :D

The microwave is convenient, but I find that the skins taste better in the oven.

Especially when oiled and then salted and peppered before baking.

I would agree the skins are better when baked, but the microwave is convenient and the results are not too bad. I will say microwave results are infinitely better with a covered potato cooker like the one I linked to above vs just throwing them in the microwave.

Best baked potatoes are IMO those wrapped in foil and set in hot coals in a campfire.

Reactions: sallyomally
I do the same as you. Poke 'em with a fork, rub a bit of olive oil over the skin & sprinkle some salt & pepper on top. Mmmmm crispy skins.

Do they do this in restaurants? When I make baked potatoes at home they never seem to taste as good as at a restaurant. I haven't had one from a restaurant in years nor have I made any home in a couple of years. I am so going to try this. I always just scrubbed them, poked some holes, wrapped in tinfoil and then put in the oven for a while.

When you wrap them in tinfoil, you're basically steaming them. Although, even when wrapped in tinfoil (which I don't do anymore), they are much better if oiled and seasoned first.

Forster, I agree the microwave is very convenient. It's just that, if I think far enough ahead, they're much better baked.

When you wrap them in tinfoil, you're basically steaming them. Although, even when wrapped in tinfoil (which I don't do anymore), they are much better if oiled and seasoned first.

Forster, I agree the microwave is very convenient. It's just that, if I think far enough ahead, they're much better baked.
Which must be why they turn out pretty lame. I might do a baked potato tonight with dinner if I remember early enough and try the oil with no tinfoil.

Last night I finally made baked potatoes. I did the method posted and they were a million times better than the way I used to make them. I used coconut oil instead of olive oil just because I like how potatoes taste when I roast them in coconut oil. I didn't do the salt and pepper because I'm out of pepper and i have to watch my salt intake. But they were amazing anyway and I used earth balance margarine and some organicville vegan ranch dressing instead of soy sour cream. So good I made them again to go with lunch today!