How do i convince my parents

Soffiare

Novice
Reaction score
Lifestyle
Omnivore
Hello!
Before I say anything you should know that I have a restrictive Eating Disorder as a result of a heavy depression and severe OCD.
I am very interested I'm becoming vegan and I believe that it could help me add more variety to my diet, however I foresee my parents being very against it because of my ED. While I am currently stable I was once severely malnourished so their concerns would be fully understandable. But this is really important to me and I would actually be eating more foods that I am now.
Anyways the conversation will be hard no matter what I say and I would appreciate any advice regarding the situation

Reaction score
Lifestyle
Vegetarian
If they are not supportive the first time, that might change if they see you are serious. Keep trying and make sure that if you decide this is something you are serious about that they know that.

One way to handle it is to not suddenly go vegan, but do it in stages.

You could announce that you want to try a mostly vegetarian diet, but still have occcassional meat. A very accepted position nowadays both culturally and nutritionally.

If that works, you could further say you want to go fully vegeterian.

If that works, you could say you want to do vegan.

It also depends on whether you live with your parents, do you help with the cooking etc.

Soffiare

Novice
Reaction score
Lifestyle
Omnivore
I
If they are not supportive the first time, that might change if they see you are serious. Keep trying and make sure that if you decide this is something you are serious about that they know that.

One way to handle it is to not suddenly go vegan, but do it in stages.

You could announce that you want to try a mostly vegetarian diet, but still have occcassional meat. A very accepted position nowadays both culturally and nutritionally.

If that works, you could further say you want to go fully vegeterian.

If that works, you could say you want to do vegan.

It also depends on whether you live with your parents, do you help with the cooking etc.
I live with them and I don't help much with the cooking but I have been learning how to do it and I theoretically know how to make several vegan recipes. As for the stages I think it would be easier for them to accept it or maybe I could do like a trial week win veganism. I still haven't told them just how much I want to go vegan but I will be open to options

Reaction score
Lifestyle
Vegetarian
lete me know how you get on. Try one recipe to start with. I made brownies yesterday.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
K Vegans answer: How can you convince people to go vegan? General 2
Jinendra Singh Is it my job to convince other people to go vegan? General 5
Andy Ulrich How to convince your spouse to become vegan Transitioning 2
noellelle Recipe to Convince Boyfriend to Veganism? Food & Drink 4
Luis Halson NZ My parents won't let me go vegetarian Transitioning 81
R How should I have this conversation with my parents? Animals 2
Queen of Strawberries 2 major breakthroughs with my (non-vegan)parents!!! Relationships 9
happyanimal954 Advice for asking my parents? Transitioning 23
Queen of Strawberries Deal with parents over veganism???? Relationships 5
R Please help save suman, her parents and all the other "riding" elephants in india Animals 0
N Nightmare parents from hell Relationships 6
Christoph I live with parents, its difficult to become vegan... Transitioning 3
L Parents planning to slaughter animals Relationships 7
R Hiding veganism from parents Transitioning 5
A Trying to go vegan- parents don't approve Support 8
C Need Help Convincing Parents that Vegan Diet is not Bad General 7
T My Parents Don't Support Veganism Support 9
Indian Summer News Italian lawmaker proposes bill to penalise parents who raise children vegan General 16
Bite Size Vegan Are We Born Vegan? | Parents Speak Relationships 1
robert99 Helicopter parents & tiger moms Relationships 0
shyvas 7 Yr Old Boy Left In Forest by Parents General Discussion 3
Daya Veganism causing trouble for bf's parents? Relationships 6
Bite Size Vegan Are Vegan Kids Social Outcasts? | Parents Answer Relationships 0
Bite Size Vegan Forcing Kids to be Vegan? | Parents Answer Relationships 1
Bite Size Vegan My Parents Won't Let Me Go Vegan! [Advice Vegan Kids. Relationships 0
E Parents won't allow me to be vegan Support 4
Bite Size Vegan Resisting Non-Vegan Temptations, Worried Parents & Bonus! | Q&A General 0
IamJen Children 21 things only vegan parents will understand... Relationships 4
Indian Summer Hippy parents get **** eggs for their children again Lounge 3
shyvas 5 Yr Old Boy With Brain Cancer - Parents Arrested UK & Eire 3
Amy SF Have You Become Your Parents? Relationships 28
Clueless Git Revenge on your parents, revenge on your kids .. Relationships 4
IamJen Children Do you know any other veg parents in real life? Relationships 53
Veggiemama Were you raised vegetarian? Did your parents give you a choice? The Vegetarian Forum 52