What are some effective ways to go vegan gradually?

Hello,
I am an ex-vegan veggie. I am 26 years old and Autistic. I was vegan for about five years, before going back to veggie. I now go to and fro from veggie to vegan depending on how anxious/otherwise mentally unwell I am feeling. I have undiagnosed BED (binge eating disorder). I was on medication that caused this. I am still on a medication that probably doesn’t help my cravings and BED.
I have a good mindset and a bad mindset. On a good mindset, I’ll be vegan and want to take care of myself better and do more good for other sentient beings. On a bad mindset, I’ll just want to binge eat, not exercise, not take care of myself well enough, not do as much good and eat dairy.
Speaking of which, I am a dairy addict. I am possibly vegan for more time than not. I really, really want to go vegan for the animals and can be very hard on myself about this.
Dairy is physically addictive, due to the casein in it, which is in there to keep the baby calves coming back to feed from their mothers. When humans drink/eat dairy, it can have the same effect on us.
I’m thinking going vegan gradually might mean that I actually stay vegan. What are your tips on how to effectively go vegan gradually and stay vegan for life?
Thank you
God says not to kill and diary is from animals that are then slaughtered and chopped to be rated cooked and this is something full of fear pain anxiety confusion terror suffering

Last edited by a moderator:
I would like to trash all the non vegan food or eventually to donate it to the carnivorous as god say to be free to choose and taking a good time to look to some fruits to get in confidence to let it know as well it is going to be eat eventually as well and the a coffee, it is good, and that's it when it is time to eat I always got ready some baked potatoes or some fresh fruit to prepare with sugar and lemon 🍋🍋

I would like to trash all the non vegan food or eventually to donate it to the carnivorous as god say to be free to choose and taking a good time to look to some fruits to get in confidence to let it know as well it is going to be eat eventually as well and the a coffee, it is good, and that's it when it is time to eat I always got ready some baked potatoes or some fresh fruit to prepare with sugar and lemon 🍋🍋
With all due respect, I wonder if you could rewrite this, but this time take a bit of time to think about sentence structures and punctuation because this is simply not English and nobody is going to understand it.

Hello Rory,

It makes sense you did not last as a vegan.
If you say you have Binge Eating Disorder, it does make totally sense.

If you do like most vegans out there, it will be hard to stay a vegan because too many people undereat or focus on simili foods, try to eat complicated when simple is more effective.

When you undereat on carbs, your body will crave them and eventually junk food over and over because it needs more fuel (= carbohydrates).

Therefore is so easy to fall off the vegan wagon again and again.

I once had BED. Never came back since I smashed in the fruits, the sweets, the rice, corn, potatoes or wheat daily, low fat and without restriction. :)

Reactions: Emma JC
For me personally, cutting something out of my diet 100% for some time (about a month) worked better than limiting it or reducing it, first when I stopped eating meat some decades ago, and then again when I replaced milk with plant milks and completely stopped eating cheese of any kind (that was in 2010).
After not having any dairy cheese for about a month or two, I could appreciate vegan cheese alternatives for what they are instead of comparing them to dairy cheese. Then again, both the quality and the availability of cheese alternatives have improved quite a bit in the last decade.

FWIW - I tend to agree with @Andy_T - immersion/"cold Tofurky" is probably the best way. Folks I've spoken to say that giving up dairy (or more to the point, cheese) is the toughest for them, but there are some wonderful plant-based alternatives out there these days to satisfy those cravings. However, if going in phases is someone's thing, it can be done in, say, 6 weeks.

1st two weeks - go vegan for your breakfast meal
2nd two weeks - go vegan for your lunch meal
3rd two weeks - go vegan for your dinner meal

Done.

1. Start by eating fewer animal-based products and more plant-based products. Swap out meats for plant-based proteins such as beans, lentils, and quinoa.

2. Try meatless Mondays or meatless meals a few times a week.

3. Get creative with plant-based recipes.

4. Check out vegan restaurants and vegan cookbooks for inspiration.

5. Make sure you’re getting enough vitamins and minerals from plant-based sources.

6. Enlist the help of a vegan friend or nutritionist to guide you through the transition.

7. Educate yourself on the ethical, environmental, and health benefits of a vegan lifestyle.

8. Find vegan alternatives to your favorite foods, such as vegan cheese, vegan ice cream, and vegan burgers.

9. Incorporate more fruits and vegetables into your diet.

10. Start slow and take your time. It’s a gradual process and there’s no need to rush.

Also, some humans can let go of certain foods one at a time. The first week/month, no more dairy. The second week/month,
no more flesh. The third week/month, no fish. The fourth week/month, no more eggs.

I think the problem with many humans is that they do not want to be isolated. They go out to eat and dislike being different.
They want to be part of the crowd, and often be flexible about their eating habits.

I actually became vegan, gradually without knowing it. I stopped what i THOUGHT was meat. I eliminated cow and pig,
but still ate poultry and dairy. I did not know any better. After 2 years I learned about the truth, and became vegan.
If i knew then what I know now, I would have done it overnight, not over 2 years.......

1. Start by eating fewer animal-based products and more plant-based products. Swap out meats for plant-based proteins such as beans, lentils, and quinoa.

2. Try meatless Mondays or meatless meals a few times a week.

3. Get creative with plant-based recipes.

4. Check out vegan restaurants and vegan cookbooks for inspiration.

5. Make sure you’re getting enough vitamins and minerals from plant-based sources.

6. Enlist the help of a vegan friend or nutritionist to guide you through the transition.

7. Educate yourself on the ethical, environmental, and health benefits of a vegan lifestyle.

8. Find vegan alternatives to your favorite foods, such as vegan cheese, vegan ice cream, and vegan burgers.

9. Incorporate more fruits and vegetables into your diet.

10. Start slow and take your time. It’s a gradual process and there’s no need to rush.
I find this helpful as someone who is transitioning as well, thank you!

Reactions: Emma JC and bEt