How can Veganism become more than a Philosophy?

Ohzen

Forum Practitioner
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan newbie
I thought I start this threat before posting any ideas from my side and see what comes 1st from the other users. Sofar it seems this is more like a forum for people to discuss problems about transition and just be a nice platform. In any case.... level-headed advice is always appreciated.

Some would argue that it is not a philosophy - that is is simply a lifestyle.
And some would argue that vegans don't want it to be a philosophy, or a religion or whatever you are imagining it should become.

Some would argue that it is not a philosophy - that is is simply a lifestyle.
And some would argue that vegans don't want it to be a philosophy, or a religion or whatever you are imagining it should become.
"Vegan diets are for everyone. They are like sex...if it is not feeling good then you are doing it wrong!"

Philosophy and lifestyle - what do vegans in general mean by these terms?

To me, a philosophy would be the theoretical framework that explains what veganism is, why it makes sense, why everyone should adopt it and so on.

The lifestyle is the practical part of veganism: Which products are vegan, ideas for vegan dishes to cook, how to manage relationships with non-vegans in your life and so on.

Hi Ohzen,

"How can Veganism become more than a Philosophy?"

It is interesting to me that some may have a desire for veganism to be more than a philosophy.

I became vegan because I did not want the animals to suffer, yet realized that even if everyone in the world believed in a vegan idea, it would still not achieve the deepest longings of my heart, and the hearts of many.

I'm not sure I understand the question in the title. Could you possibly elaborate, @Ohzen ? Are you asking how we can make vegans become more focused on action rather than debating how many angels can dance on the point of a needle?

I'm not sure I understand the question in the title. Could you possibly elaborate, @Ohzen ? Are you asking how we can make vegans become more focused on action rather than debating how many angels can dance on the point of a needle?
I couldnt have asked for a better question. Thank you. There are many pebbles, but only a few will start an avalanche.

As I see it... there are many people who turn towards veganism. Im interested in what the common nominatorS are. I believe we all can change just a lil bit and the more corners we reach, the easier it will be to find a peer.

The idea of "Veganism" for me is far more than refusing milk, eggs, meat.... I am afraid this new awarness could be used, like many other good ideas before, for something we wont be able to change once it hits us...

Think some steps ahead....

Hi Ohzen,

"How can Veganism become more than a Philosophy?"

It is interesting to me that some may have a desire for veganism to be more than a philosophy.

I became vegan because I did not want the animals to suffer, yet realized that even if everyone in the world believed in a vegan idea, it would still not achieve the deepest longings of my heart, and the hearts of many.
Thanks for that reply! We all come from different corners but in the middle we meet... like a pub everyone came to for a cold brew in a hot summers night. Just casue we are in the same boat doesnt mean we have to like each other... and this is unfortunately something thats happening.

Veganism can be explained through religions, general ethics, even from an econmic point of view...

Many ideas include veganism as part of the ultimate goal... not beeing a neccessaty though.

Many ideas include veganism as part of the ultimate goal... not beeing a neccessaty though.

Yes veganism is a part of the ultimate goal for many. For many veganism is a way to reduce the pain and suffering of animals and people, yet it will never eliminate pain and death.

But the time is soon coming when veganism will be a reality, and there will be no more tears and death will be swallowed up in victory.

I tend to look at things in abstract and possibly a cold hearted way. I watch animal cruelty videos to remind myself why I am vegan.

I frequently laugh when I watch the videos. I remember seeing a certified organic cage free chicken with access to the outdoors. The bird was too fat to walk outside if he wanted to. In addition, the doors are usually closed anyway for the health and safety of the chicken. The video reminded me of News Speak from the book 1984.

Thus, I thought if we can abuse a chicken for his/her own good then we can abuse a human for his/her own good. Some teachers do the same thing to kids in special education.

I recall having a totally blind autistic student. I p!ssed off the student really bad. His main teacher said to me, "If that kid could talk what do you think he say to you right now."

I paused thought them said, "I don't know."

He said, "The student would say, 'F--- Y--.'"

I came back to the teacher the next day and said, "You're right. I will give the kid more space."

The teacher was actually a close friend who I deeply admire. He taught me a great lesson on that day. I had good intentions. Yet, my actions and motivations were absolutely disrespectful.

Yes veganism is a part of the ultimate goal for many. For many veganism is a way to reduce the pain and suffering of animals and people, yet it will never eliminate pain and death.

But the time is soon coming when veganism will be a reality, and there will be no more tears and death will be swallowed up in victory.

It may be just quibbling and nitpicking on my part but I think it's important. Veganism isn't a goal. its a process. You could say that the elimination of cruelty and suffering is the goal. It's ok to have lofty goals. Or just as you said the reduction. Or the elimination of unnecessary suffering.

For some, the goal is the elimination of livestock farming. For others it an environmental goal. or a personal health goal. Or maybe a combination of all of the above. But veganism is just one of the ways to get there.