How can I guarantee that B12 & other supplements are Vegan?

Ohad

Newcomer
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
  2. Vegetarian
I was frightened when I saw this: “When choosing a supplement, be aware that some types of vitamin D are not vegan-friendly. Vitamin D2 is always suitable for vegans, but vitamin D3 can be derived from an animal source (such as sheep's wool) or lichen (a vegan-friendly source)”.
I consume vegan milk with a lot of calciliom and take b12 pills for example. Should I check if the b12 and these stuff comes from animals when I consume vegan foods?

You're probably fine with the plant milk with regard to B12 and calcium - these are unlikely to be from animal sources. If the ingredients say vitamin D3 or just vitamin D, and at the same time doesn't explicitly say the product is vegan, then I would avoid it for two reasons: I believe animal D3 is still much more common than vegan D3. And secondly, a proper product ought to distinguish between vitamin D2 and D3 - simply "vitamin D" just doesn't fill me with confidence in the product.

As for B12 pills, if it doesn't say on the packaging, then yes, I would check with the company to make sure it's vegan.

Make sure it says vegan on the label.

Yeah, any supplement out there is going to plaster every applicable "health word" on it to entice people to buy it. So if it is a supplement, and also is or even just happens to be vegan, it will let you know about it either in colorful bold lettering or just with the vegan.org label on it. I personally go with DEVA brand myself.

Reactions: MoreGreens and Lou
While you might find a 'vegan' label on a lot of vegan products in places like the USofA and the UK, this is not necessarily the case everywhere. I can also remember a time when veganism was not as recognised a lifestyle as it is now, and I can imagine it's still like that some places in the world. The OP appears to be in Israel, and I don't know what the situation is like there at this point in time.

Reactions: TofuRobot
While you might find a 'vegan' label on a lot of vegan products in places like the USofA and the UK, this is not necessarily the case everywhere. I can also remember a time when veganism was not as recognised a lifestyle as it is now, and I can imagine it's still like that some places in the world. The OP appears to be in Israel, and I don't know what the situation is like there at this point in time.
Good point.