Nutrition & Diet How do you get your vitamin d3?

Vitamind3

Newcomer
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Flexitarian
Hi everyone!

I was wondering how you get your vitamin d3? it’s not part of the vegan diet as it is derived from animal products.

And d2 that is from mushrooms has been proven to be an insufficient source of this vital vitamin.

many advice is much appreciated!

From April to October, I go out in the sun a lot. From October to April, I supplement 15mcg a day and some fortified plant milk with my breakfast cereal. (mcg is usually written with a greek "mu" but I don't know how to type this.)

Vegan D3 is lichen based. The multivitamin supplement Veg1 has it.
I take multivitamin almost every day, and also spent much time outside.
Oatly has D2 in it, I drink about 1dl every day, so that isn't really a sufficient source.

Reactions: Brian W
From April to October, I go out in the sun a lot. From October to April, I supplement 15mcg a day and some fortified plant milk with my breakfast cereal. (mcg is usually written with a greek "mu" but I don't know how to type this.)

On Macs you use the "keyboard viewer". you have to turn it on in system preferences.
μ

I used to know how to do it on a PC but i have forgotten.

• Informative
Because I live in a hot country and go outside in the mild winter, that's probably enough for me. However, if you live in the temperate regions, this is something for others to think about for sure. Thanks for posting it.

Reactions: Brian W and Val
Hi everyone!

I was wondering how you get your vitamin d3? it’s not part of the vegan diet as it is derived from animal products.

And d2 that is from mushrooms has been proven to be an insufficient source of this vital vitamin.

I supplement it because the vegan diet is inherently deficient and requires pill makers to take up the slack, which is all well and good because modern man has learned to be nutritionally sufficient through the technology of pharmaceuticals and pill manufacturers, without which we would all soon die or manifest horrible deficiency diseases. In prior ages, man practiced "necessary" cruelty towards animals due to this technological lack, and it is only through our aforementioned saviors that we are able to avoid the moral perils of consuming animal flesh and secretions. So do not thank God, A Creator or intelligent design -this is folly, instead thank the exalted state of modern man who has provided the conveniences to sooth our conscience!

/sarcasm

I do not worry about this. If I believed that D3 (or any other nutrient) could not be obtained (or synthesized naturally in the human body) through a vegan diet + a degree of natural living (ie: sunlight in the case of vitamin D),

then I would not be vegan. I don't personally subscribe to the theory that modernization has "made veganism possible", rather that in some ways it has hindered it, and while modern implementations may be necessary to overcome certain aspects of modern living (for instance, the necessity to take B12 living in a world of chlorinated water and corporate agriculture), said modernization should never be necessary if man is living in a natural state.

I also take Veg1 which has D3 as StrangeOtter mentioned.

I'm not sure there is evidence most people necessarily need dietary sources of D3 if we take sufficient amounts of D2?
Veg1 is an interesting idea.😏 Have you ever considered taking Calcium Citrate with vitamin D3? Because it's the most bioavailable combination. (It has to be Calcium Citrate,- not Calcium Carbonate). Citrate is a mineral salt, and D3 is absorbed better, if it goes with Citrate. After taking it, i realized i felt better (and... my shoulder stopped clicking, and discomfort in some joints disappeared).
I always buy this one (by "Mason natural"):
IMG_20200319_222018.jpg
(I read the ingredients beforehand, and they seem vegan,- well i hope so)...

Hi Blues! Long time, no see!😸 Are you ok? What are you up to? (Lol, never mind,- Unghshu is in the mood of demagoguery). 🐨 👽
Oh you rabble rouser you 😄
I’m just find , things are all good down under in NZ.
Keeping away from all the fear of corona , I wish others would .

• Friendly
Reactions: Val
Oh you rabble rouser you 😄
I’m just find , things are all good down under in NZ.
Keeping away from all the fear of corona , I wish others would .
Well, i'm keeping my hand "on the pulse of the nation" (NZ nation, tbh, because i can't help listening to "The hits 97.4" all day long,- what can i do, i love their hosts and shows). :leer: I noticed that NZ is one of the less-affected countries (*fingers crossed*). Let it be so as long as it's possible. I wish Russia was an island.
P.S. i noticed recently, that i have no more difficulties with comprehension of NZ accent. Hooray.:apple:

P.S. i noticed recently, that i have no more difficulties with comprehension of NZ accent. Hooray.:apple:
That’s an amazing 😉 achievement we have some who have moved from overseas to live here and two years latter they still have can’t quite get their heads around it .
We have 28 cases of corona ,more by luck of our isolation than management The supermarkets have gone crazy 😜. Anyway the government have finally put in really strict boarder controls ,so we will see what the future brings .
Thanks 😊 for the post in this thread , re vitamin D3 I think 🤔 I will look into it .

• Friendly
Reactions: Val
That’s an amazing 😉 achievement we have some who have moved from overseas to live here and two years latter they still have can’t quite get their heads around it .
We have 28 cases of corona ,more by luck of our isolation than management The supermarkets have gone crazy 😜. Anyway the government have finally put in really strict boarder controls ,so we will see what the future brings .
Thanks 😊 for the post in this thread , re vitamin D3 I think 🤔 I will look into it .
Lol, there is NOTHING decent to watch on tv: we have an old tv box (manufactured in Western Germany in 1989), and it still works (and it has 32 channels)! It was a luxury back then (my dad won it in a lottery, that was held at his work, but he had to pay for it!).
Here is my fantastic tv and "the same old song".🙄 As you can guess, on this scale - are the numbers of contaminated people in Russia on different dates,- today, there are 199 people sick. One woman died, but she was "nearly dead" (she'd had so many severe chronic illnesses, that it's a miracle that she had been living before she was unlucky to get sick). If she was healthier, she would have probably survived. Anyway, all channels are about it (except "My planet" channel).
IMG_20200320_013230.jpg

P.S. Unghshu's getting paranoid gradually: two days ago, i was sitting on a bench in Okey mall and thinking about HOW did it happen that covid had penetrated on the territory of Russia, and if there was anything that could be done to prevent such a big number of cases. And suddenly i see this (a clothes shop)🤦‍♀️:
IMG_20200317_152523.jpg
I swear i did a "facepalm" then, though i had been determined not to.

Reactions: Blues
Hi everyone!

The peer-reviewed literature seems to conclude that vitamin D3 is more effective than vitamin D2. It doesn't conclude that vitamin D2 is insufficient.

Here is a list of relevant reports from the peer-reviewed American Journal of Clinical Nutrition:

• From 1998: "Evidence that vitamin D3 increases serum 25-hydroxyvitamin D more efficiently than does vitamin D2"
    • Link: https://academic.oup.com/ajcn/article/68/4/854/4648650?searchresult=1
    • Reports' conclusions: "Although the 1.7-times greater efficacy for vitamin D3 shown here may seem small, it is more than what others have shown for 25(OH)D increases when comparing 2-fold differences in vitamin D3 dose. The assumption that vitamins D2 and D3 have equal nutritional value is probably wrong and should be reconsidered."

• From 2012: "Comparison of vitamin D2 and vitamin D3 supplementation in raising serum 25-hydroxyvitamin D status: a systematic review and meta-analysis."
    • Link: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22552031
    • Report's conclusions: "This meta-analysis indicates that vitamin D3 is more efficacious at raising serum 25(OH)D concentrations than is vitamin D2, and thus vitamin D3) could potentially become the preferred choice for supplementation. However, additional research is required to examine the metabolic pathways involved in oral and intramuscular administration of vitamin D and the effects across age, sex, and ethnicity, which this review was unable to verify.

• From 2017: "Daily supplementation with 15 μg vitamin D2 compared with vitamin D3 to increase wintertime 25-hydroxyvitamin D status in healthy South Asian and white European women: a 12-wk randomized, placebo-controlled food-fortification trial."
    • Link: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/28679555
    • Report's conclusions: "With the use of a daily dose of vitamin D relevant to public health recommendations (15 μg) and in vehicles relevant to food-fortification strategies, vitamin D3 was more effective than vitamin D2 in increasing serum 25(OH)D in the wintertime. Vitamin D3 may therefore be a preferential form to optimize vitamin D status within the general population. "

Reactions: Brian W and Val