Honee

I did end up making apply syrup out of my overstock of apples.

I blended eight apples (only 4 were peeled...I have the world's crappiest peeler), with 1 cup of water. Then, I strained it through a cheesecloth. The amount of liquid drawn out was 2 cups worth.

Then, I added 1 cup of sugar and put it all in a pot on the stove. Took to a rolling boil, then reduced to medium until half the liquid boiled away.

The resulting syrup was thin (slightly thicker than pure maple syrup), tasted a bit like honey watered down with a touch of apple juice. Actually, it was pretty delicious. I had it on pancakes and I found I preferred it to maple syrup. Had it in my tea and coffee as well. Not bad!

:)
I did end up making apply syrup out of my overstock of apples.

I blended eight apples (only 4 were peeled...I have the world's crappiest peeler), with 1 cup of water. Then, I strained it through a cheesecloth. The amount of liquid drawn out was 2 cups worth.

Then, I added 1 cup of sugar and put it all in a pot on the stove. Took to a rolling boil, then reduced to medium until half the liquid boiled away.

The resulting syrup was thin (slightly thicker than pure maple syrup), tasted a bit like honey watered down with a touch of apple juice. Actually, it was pretty delicious. I had it on pancakes and I found I preferred it to maple syrup. Had it in my tea and coffee as well. Not bad!

Apple jelly is gorgeous. I'm pleased that you like the end result.

Reactions: mary1
So there I was, in the coop, buying sprouting seeds, when lo and behold: a wild honee appears!

I bought it and fed it to a test omnivore (disclaimer: no veg*ns were harmed).

According to the omnivore, it tastes like a mixture of apples, maple syrup, and honey. It is good. I haven't tried it yet.

Hello Everyone! I am excited to find this discussion because I am the one who make Bee Free Honee and while you are correct, the ingredients are almost the same as apple jelly, but just as you can do many different things with flour, baking soda, and sugar...so it is here. Bee Free Honee is identical in texture to traditional honey and can be plugged in to any recipe in equal proportion to traditional honey, cooking or baking. There is no exchange. The other cool aspect is that there is no chemical in the processing on any level. It is much like maple syrup in that respect. So it is very different than other alternative sweeteners. BFH does have an apple-tartness to it, but that mellows when incorporated into other ingredients. We are expanding and are in all Wegman's on the East coast, Vitamin Cottage stores throughout the middle US and in Sprouts on the West & South. As well as independents, Pangea vegan online store, Vegan Essentials online store, and on Amazon.com. I am really happy to answer any questions, just e-mail me at katie@beefreehonee.com Thank you for a great discussion.