Hidden Talents-Spill the Beans!

WOW! Cleo Bryant's work is amazing! I'm super inspired. :heart:
Thank you for encouragement. That means a lot.

Otters are wonderful, you are right! :)
Lutra lutra is mainly very solidary otter species, but the female allows young otters to hunt in her territory. It's speculated that the female can recognize her grown up pups by smell. They have very good sense of smell and hearing, but not so good eye sight. Also, males give better hunting grounds, during winter, to the female and her offspring, even when that means that the males will suffer from it.
And Asian small-clawed otters, -which are listed as Vulnerable in the IUCN Red List, and are victims of cruel pet trade,- are monogamous. And they are way too adorable.
Singapore smooth coated otters are family-centered, some live in huge pacts. Giant otters are also family-centered, and they are listed as endangered. In Spanish Giant otters are called river wolf: Lobo de rio. Otters do act like dogs or wolves oftentimes. And I do love wolves, but otters are even better, because they are all semiaquatic, aquatic or marine. Evolution has made them that way over the last 23 million years, and the otter we know today has evolved significantly 7 million years ago.
Otter is a sign of clear water and healthy habitat.
Sea otters keep kelp forests alive by eating sea urchin, and that's why they are important factor in fighting climate change. But ocean warming decreases the capacity of kelp forests to absorb carbon. So otters can not do everything by themselves. We humans must change or habits.
And they are playful, like you said. They play with each other, even moms play with their pups. And Lutra lutra may slide down a snowy hill just out of pleasure. They slide, reach the water, climb up again and slide. When otters aren't sleeping or resting, they are constantly doing something: playing, hunting, taking care of their thick fur, etc. They have the most dense fur in all animal kingdom and that has evolved to keep the cold water completely away from their skin.

I wish there would be more books and documentaries available about otters.
I will have to get my paws on The Ring of Brightwater. Even if the ending isn't going to be happy.. Thank you for telling me about the book. :heart_eyes:

Cleo Bryant's work is outstanding. I believe that you must have a great love for wildlife when you portray so much sensibility within your work.

Thanks for all of the information concerning otters. I've never seen one in real life but would love to live that experience one day. What strikes me is that they are playful but yet so strong. They also care for their pups and are also drawn to human beings.

You should be able to buy a 2 nd hand copy of The Ring of Brightwater from Amazon. I don't know what country you live in but it's worth shopping around all of their sites.

There are quite a few otter trusts in the UK where they rehabilitate otters, especially pups.

''Ring of Bright Water was hailed as a masterpiece when it was first
published, sold over two million copies worldwide, and was later adapted
into a successful film. Fifty years on it remains one of the most lyrical,
moving descriptions of a man’s relationship with the natural world.

In 1957, after travelling in southern Iraq, Gavin Maxwell returned to the
West Highlands of Scotland with an otter cub called Mijbil. Written within
the sound of the sea, in a remote cottage where they set up home together,
this enduring story evokes the unspoilt seascape and wildlife of a place
Maxwell called Camusfeàrna.''

Amazon.

Cleo Bryant's work is outstanding. I believe that you must have a great love for wildlife when you portray so much sensibility within your work.

Thanks for all of the information concerning otters. I've never seen one in real life but would love to live that experience one day. What strikes me is that they are playful but yet so strong. They also care for their pups and are also drawn to human beings.

You should be able to buy a 2 nd hand copy of The Ring of Brightwater from Amazon. I don't know what country you live in but it's worth shopping around all of their sites.

There are quite a few otter trusts in the UK where they rehabilitate otters, especially pups.

UKWOT is absolutely glorious. I would want to give all of my money to them. But I must not. Because then my cat will die. :sob:
They are doing outstanding job rehabilitating otters.
The studying material is amazing. I have read somewhere that eurasian otter pups weight around 99-120g, but in the material they say that otter pups weight 40g. I'm thinking that maybe it differs so much depending on where the species live? Northern species often weight more than southern.

I saw otters at a zoo, when I was a kid. But it would be great to see otters in wild.

I have never before bought anything from Amazon, but I'll ask help from my brother. He is better in these kind of things. Thank you for helping me,and thank you for everything. :heart:

• Friendly
Reactions: shyvas
UKWOT is absolutely glorious. I would want to give all of my money to them. But I must not. Because then my cat will die. :sob:
They are doing outstanding job rehabilitating otters.
The studying material is amazing. I have read somewhere that eurasian otter pups weight around 99-120g, but in the material they say that otter pups weight 40g. I'm thinking that maybe it differs so much depending on where the species live? Northern species often weight more than southern.

I saw otters at a zoo, when I was a kid. But it would be great to see otters in wild.

I have never before bought anything from Amazon, but I'll ask help from my brother. He is better in these kind of things. Thank you for helping me,and thank you for everything. :heart:

Lucky you having seen them in RL. :heart_eyes:

There are so many fascinating facts about otters and the different species. They are indeed such fascinating creatures.

You should shop around on all of the Amazon sites and eBay. I've seen lots of 2nd hand ones for around £ 3-4. I've never encountered a problem buying from either site.

• Friendly
Reactions: Deleted member 3018
Thank you Shyvas for introducing Ring of Bright Water to me (and to everyone else who previously didn't know about it)!
I'm not going to buy anything non-essential during the coronavirus situation, but even though usually it's better to read the book first, I just couldn't wait and watched the movie, because I found it for free online.
It's one of my favourite movies right now.

They displayed well what kind of havoc an otter definitely makes, if kept in an appartment.
"You can't keep an otter in London, it's too cruel... to humans, I mean."
I'd say, that it's also cruel to the otter, but yes.

Then Graham witnesses the sad, small enclosures that the Zoo animals must endure, and he decides to move closer to water and nature, further away from humans.
He understood the responsibility it takes to care for a living being.
"In that moment I realized for the first time how deeply I was involved."

I loved it that he didn't force Mij in a "box" for the train ride.

Mij oftentimes acts like a dog, and makes lovely little sounds...

Dichdigger, who kills Mij says in his defence "I thought he was just an otter!"
As if it matters, wild otter or a pet otter, both are living beings.

Really, a tragedy, but nonetheless, still a very good movie.
Usually the book is better so I'm awaiting with enthusiasm to get to read it.
I'm going to watch the movie again tonight.

• Friendly
Thank you Shyvas for introducing Ring of Bright Water to me (and to everyone else who previously didn't know about it)!
I'm not going to buy anything non-essential during the coronavirus situation, but even though usually it's better to read the book first, I just couldn't wait and watched the movie, because I found it for free online.
It's one of my favourite movies right now.

They displayed well what kind of havoc an otter definitely makes, if kept in an appartment.
"You can't keep an otter in London, it's too cruel... to humans, I mean."
I'd say, that it's also cruel to the otter, but yes.

Then Graham witnesses the sad, small enclosures that the Zoo animals must endure, and he decides to move closer to water and nature, further away from humans.
He understood the responsibility it takes to care for a living being.
"In that moment I realized for the first time how deeply I was involved."

I loved it that he didn't force Mij in a "box" for the train ride.

Mij oftentimes acts like a dog, and makes lovely little sounds...

Dichdigger, who kills Mij says in his defence "I thought he was just an otter!"
As if it matters, wild otter or a pet otter, both are living beings.

Really, a tragedy, but nonetheless, still a very good movie.
Usually the book is better so I'm awaiting with enthusiasm to get to read it.
I'm going to watch the movie again tonight.

I'm glad that you enjoyed the film. I also watched it on Monday as it was on SKY TV. Did you know that the two main actors in TROB, Travers and
McKenna are also husband and wife. They also starred in the film Born Free.

Reactions: Deleted member 3018
Indeed. They were also a very attractive couple in Born Free. Sadly Bill died years ago whilst Virginia founded the Born Free foundation which she manages with her son.
Wow. It's really awesome that they founded such of an amazing foundation.

• Agree
I suppose, since I have so much time on my hands, I could attempt to draw again. I thought I was pretty good when I was 12 years old! :D
If you ever decide to display your equine art somewhere, it would be awesome to see some. :)

• Agree
Hidden talent? Well, I'm a decent whistler if I may say so. Especially in the shower. I think it's something about the acoustics of the bathroom which encourages hidden talents in song and whistling to come out.

Hidden talent? Well, I'm a decent whistler if I may say so. Especially in the shower. I think it's something about the acoustics of the bathroom which encourages hidden talents in song and whistling to come out.

That's a great talent, indeed. I hope that the neighbours can't hear you. :D